Author Topic: The Back-up Plan  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Back-up Plan
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:27 AM »
I decided to go see The Back-up Plan earlier this week.  I generally like romantic comedies even though they tend to be predictable.

Things are a little different with this one since Zoe has decided to have a baby alone through artificial insemination when the movie begins.  Right after the procedure, she meets a guy, Stan, by chance.  They run into each other again and then he starts actively trying to get her to go out with him.  She is hesitant at first because she figures they have no future.  Things change and they start dating just as she learns she is pregnant. 

The plot is very straight forward and predictable even with a few surprises.  There are attempts to make things complicated by throwing in issues for both Stan and Zoe that really don't add much to the movie overall.  The attempts at complications are very predictable and just seem to serve as a reason for Zoe to make a rash decision at one point.  Despite the predictability, the movie is still entertaining overall.  I do think there is a decent amount of humor throughout the movie, with many things making me laugh.  Some of the humor does play into stereotypes about people, especially pregnant women.  There is some gross humor too, especially concerning the pregnancy and a rather bizarre home birth that Zoe and Stan witness.  The humor definitely isn't going to appeal to everyone.

The characters, even Zoe and Stan are rather flat overall since there is very little in the way of character development.  She owns a pet store, wants a baby, and has issues with trust.  He has a farm, makes gourmet cheese, and has issues with marriage.  The other characters that turn up are even less developed.  Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin are fine in their parts and they make a believable couple. 

The movie does have issues, but I thought it was entertaining overall.  People that like romantic comedies or are fans of the actors may find something to like about the movie.

The Back-up Plan

snowcat

Re: The Back-up Plan
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
This film is a strange one... Im not sure if I want to see it or not.  :bag:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: The Back-up Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
It is kind of strange..especially with a few of the scenes.