Author Topic: Observe & Report  (Read 3048 times)

karmesinrot

Observe & Report
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

Observe and Report

Cast: Seth Rogen Ronnie Barnhardt, Ray Liotta Detective Harrison, Michael Pena Dennis, Anna Faris Brandi, Collette Wolf Nell, Jesse Plemons Charles, John & Matt Yuan John & Matt Yuen.

Written and Directed by: Jody Hill

Plot Synopsis: THE FOOT FIST WAY director Jody Hill takes the helm for this Seth Rogen comedy concerning an ambitious mall cop who competes with a seasoned detective to bust an elusive flasher. Make a wrong move at Forest Ridge Mall, and you'll have to answer to no-nonsense security head Ronnie Barnhardt (Rogen). Ronnie sees skateboarders as the blight of society, and any shoplifter unfortunate enough to summon his wrath will be promptly busted and booked. Sure, Ronnie may suffer delusions of grandeur when it comes to his job, but perhaps with a little effort he'll eventually get to trade in his flashlight and patch for a gun and a badge. When a flasher begins tormenting the shoppers at Forest Ridge Mall, Ronnie seizes the opportunity to showcase his detective skills and impress gorgeous makeup counter girl Brandi (Anna Faris), who can't be bothered to give him a second glance. Perhaps by catching the culprit, Ronnie will finally earn himself a prized position over at the police academy. But the one thing Ronnie hadn't counted on was competition, and when Detective Harrison (Ray Liotta) of the Conway Police makes it his personal mission to nab the flasher, the two rivals begin working around the clock to crack the case before their counterpart. (taken from Amazon.co.uk)
My Thoughts: I went into this film expecting the adult version of Paul Blart Mall Cop. As a dark comedy, Observe and Report is obviously not going to be everyone's cup of tea and as a result has plenty of mixed reviews on Amazon. Seth Rogan plays the part of bipolar Ronnie reasonably well - I felt both empathy and dislike towards him during the course of the film, whilst Anna Faris plays a version of her usual ditzy blonde character.
I feel the movie relies way too heavily on cheap laughs from overuse of bad language, nudity and violence. The "dark humour" elements included Ronnie's alcoholic mother and fellow security officer Dennis' drug use. I'm not one for being easily offended, but personally I thought that the jokes were tired, have been done before and just weren't that funny.  :-\ The one laugh-out-loud moment that I can remember is Ronnie and Brandi's drunken sex scene  :P
 This was the first time I had seen Jesse Plemons in something other than Friday Night Lights - would have liked if he could have had a larger part.
Maybe I just don't understand dark humour properly, but I don't think this is one I will be watching again in a hurry.  :thumbdown:

Rating: 2/5

Hope you guys enjoy my first review! :)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Observe & Report
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:32:33 AM »
I've never heard of this movie. After reading your review it won't be making my wish list.

But...I do like cheap laughs, bad language, nudity and violence so maybe I would like it!  :laugh:

karmesinrot

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:47:59 AM »
I've never heard of this movie. After reading your review it won't be making my wish list.

But...I do like cheap laughs, bad language, nudity and violence so maybe I would like it!  :laugh:
Well it was pretty much a blind buy for me after seeing it in a coolduder review. Sometimes I feel a bit stupid coz people applaud dark comedies so much for being clever, and I just don't really get the jokes. I can see how it could be funny for some people though..maybe I was just in the wrong kinda mood to watch it!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
I toyed with the idea of buying this movie but then decided against it because of the mixed Amazon reviews.

Now I'm sure I'll sit this one out.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
 :laugh: I love this film!

:bag: Im also im love with Seth Rogen.

...I thought it was funny, and I liked that the little love story it had in it...

However, I have never met anyone else who likes it... and well... I like sex jokes  :laugh: as well as all the other things Kathy mentioned.