Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 13610 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Anything Goes
This weekend I really didn't want to be tied down to a certain theme. So I thought I would have an Anything Goes weekend. Anything I feel like watching is fair game. Don't even have to be on DVD. Could be on DVD, TV, Premium Cable, On-Demand or movies I have on my computer hard drive. But that being said... I do want to get my unwatched DVD pile down a bit. As of the start of this marathon I have 134 movies on DVD that I haven't watched yet. At least not since I bought the DVD.

My Unwatched DVDs:
   1.  Abomination: Evilmaker 2
   2. The Adventures of Tartu
   3. Aerial Gunner
   4. Apocalypse Rising
   5. Battle of Blood Island
   6. Battleship Potemkin
   7. The Big Lift
   8. Black Brigade
   9. Black Hawk Down
  10. Black Ribbon
  11. Blood Alley
  12. Blood on the Sun
  13. Blood Stained Bride
  14. Boiling Point
  15. Brainiac
  16. Branded
  17. Casulties of War
  18. Chain Reaction
  19. Chocolat
  20. Circus of Fear
  21. Commandos
  22. Convoy
  23. Crossroads
  24. Curse of Pirate Death
  25. Cyrano de Bergerac
  26. Dark Light
  27. Dark Places
  28. The Darkness
  29. The Dawn Express
  30. Deadly Drifter
  31. Derailed
  32. Desert Heat
  33. Die, Sister Die
  34. Double Team
  35. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
  36. Dr. Phibes Rides Again
  37. Drawing Blood
  38. Edgar Allen Poe's Darkness
  39. Embryo
  40. Farewell to Arms
  41. Fear of the Dark
  42. Feral
  43. The Fighting Seabees
  44. Fists of Fear, Touch of Death
  45. Fist of the Vampire
  46. Flesh Feast
  47. Flying Blind
  48. The Flying Leathernecks
  49. Foriegner
  50. Four in a Jeep
  51. Foxes
  52. Full Frontal
  53. Full Metal Jacket
  54. God Told Me To
  55. Gone with the Wind
  56. The Great American Snuff Film
  57. The Green Berets
  58. Gung Ho
  59. Half Past Dead
  60. Hell's Threshold
  61. Home Made
  62. House by the Cemetery
  63. Identity Unknown
  64. Immortal
  65. In Harms Way
  66. Infinity
  67. The Innocent
  68. Into Thy Hands
  69. Intolerance: Love's Struggle Through the Ages
  70. Jack the Ripper
  71. Jarhead
  72. Jaws: The Revenge
  73. Kennel Murder Case
  74. Kill Cruise
  75. King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition
  76. Knight Chills
  77. Laser Mission
  78. Last Best Chance
  79. The Last Chance
  80. Left Behind 2
  81. Legacy of Blood
  82. Majestic
  83. Minesweeper
  84. Nabonga
  85. The Navy Way
  86. Nutcracker: An American Nightmare
  87. One Eyed Jack
  88. One of Our Aircraft is Missing
  89. Operation Pacific
  90. Pajama Game
  91. Passenger 57
  92. Pony Trouble
  93. Primal Fear
  94. Private Buckaroo
  95. Puppet Show
  96. Rage of the Master
  97. Replicant
  98. Return of the Boogeyman
  99. Return of the Magnificent Seven
 100. Ricochet
 101. Road to Bali
 102. Sabbath
 103. Sands of Iwo Jima
 104. Screaming Ninja
 105. The Sea Chase
 106. Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
 107. Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green
 108. The Shunned House
 109. Sickness House
 110. Silent Bloodnight
 111. Sinners
 112. Sisters of Death
 113. Slasher
 114. Sleep Disorder
 115. Snake Crane Secret
 116. The Somnambulists
 117. Spitfire
 118. The Stranger
 119. Super Hell
 120. Super Hell 2
 121. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
 122. They Were Expendable
 123. This Darkness
 124. A Vampire's Tale
 125. Vulture's Eye
 126. Up From Zero
 127. Watchmen
 128. Web of the Spider
 129. White Fang to the Rescue
 130. White Zombie
 131. Who Am I?
 132. Wings of an Eagle
 133. Woodland Haunting 2
 134. The X-Files: I Want to Believe
Pete

Rogmeister

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
One of these days you need to have a John Wayne War Film Marathon.  You certainly have enough movies to have such a marathon!  If that is viable to you, you would probably want to hold off watching any of those in the meantime.  I have no real suggestions unless you want to fit in a western.  You have One Eyed Jacks...which is actually one western I have never seen myself.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
I actually was considering something like that this weekend Roger... but  with Britt being off for Easter vacation (and not visiting her grandmother) I wanted something more open so we could watch at least a few together.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »
I don't know what is wrong with me here the last couple days. I just can't seem to find something I am in the mood to watch.

It is like I am trying to force myself to watch a movie. And it isn't working out too well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
Well... lets see if I can get myself to do anything today.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »

Title: Beverly Hills Cop: Special Collector's Edition
Year: 1984
Director: Martin Brest
Rating: R
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley
Judge Reinhold as Det. Billy Rosewood
John Ashton as Sgt. Taggart
Lisa Eilbacher as Jenny Summers
Ronny Cox as Lt. Bogomil

Plot:
The heat is on in this fast paced action-comedy starring Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley, a street smart Detroit cop tracking down his best friend's killer in Beverly Hills. Axel quickly learns that his wild style doesn't fit in with the Beverly Hills Police Department, which assigns two officers (Judge Reinhold & John Ashton) to make sure things don't get out of hand.

Dragging the stuffy detectives along for the ride, Axel smashes through a huge culture clash in his hilarious, high-speed pursuit of justice.

Featuring cameos by Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot and Damon Wayans, Beverly Hills Cop is an exhilarating sidesplitting adventure!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Interviews
Closed Captioned
Location Map

My Thoughts:
This is just a completely fun movie from beginning to end. I must have watched this movie 100 times since it was originally released... and I enjoy it just as much this time as I did the first time I ever saw it. In my opinion... this is Eddie Murphy at his best. I thought it was a really good combination of comedy and action. Even though there was much more action then comedy it just worked so well together. I highly recommend checking out this one.... as well as the sequels.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
Jimmy... I just used my review from the last time I watched this movie. But this one is much more detailed... so you can just point the link to the above review.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Title: Beverly Hills Cop II: Widescreen Collection
Year: 1987
Director: Tony Scott
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Judge Reinhold as Billy Rosewood
Jürgen Prochnow as Maxwell Dent
Ronny Cox as Andrew Bogomil
John Ashton as John Taggart

Plot:
The heat's back on! And Eddie Murphy is cool as ever in this sizzling, smash-hit sequel to Beverly Hills Cop.

Axel Foley (Murphy) is back – back where he doesn't belong! He's going "deep, deep, deep undercover" into the chic wilds of Southern California, unleashing his arsenal of blazing gunfire and rapid-fire gags against a gang of international munitions smugglers.

Back, too, are Judge Reinhold and John Ashton as Murphy's crime-busting sidekicks. And Top Gun's director Tony Scott keeps the pace fast, furious and funny.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a nice continuation to the series. One I enjoyed very much. Though it isn't quite as good as the first one. I must admit I did like the chase scene using the cement mixer. Especially when Axel asks if the "steering works on this thing"... Rosewood comes back with "I'm Steering!" then Axel asks if  the "Breaks work on this thing?"... and Rosewood says.. "I don't Know... I haven't tried them yet!"  :laugh: But this one once again has some good action and some decent laughs... I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »

Title: Beverly Hills Cop III: Widescreen Collection
Year: 1994
Director: John Landis
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jon Tenney as Levine
Joey Travolta as Giolito
Eugene Collier as Leppert
Jimmy Ortega as Rondell

Plot:
Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) journeys back to Beverly Hills for a real roller coaster thrill ride at the Wonderworld amusement park! Joined by old pals Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and Serge (Bronson Pinchot), Axel becomes the hottest new attraction as he chases down the bad guys on the rides, through the shows and in the underground maze beneath the park. Beverly Hills Cop III is a "wild, funny action comedy"* that will have you hooked for the whole ride!

* Bill Diehl, ABC Radio Network

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While still entertaining... I this is my least favorite of the three movies. It is still worth watching every once in a while... but I didn't care too much for the storyline. The jokes they are using seemed recycled from the previous movies. But it still has a few decent laughs. The action isn't quite as good in this one either... but there is still some to enjoy. But watching this one you can tell why it is the last one in the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »

Title: Billy Madison: Widescreen
Year: 1995
Director: Tamra Davis
Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.0, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Billy Madison
Darren McGavin as Brian Madison
Bridgette Wilson as Veronica
Bradley Whitford as Eric Gordon
Josh Mostel as Max Anderson

Plot:
He's the heir to the Madison Hotel millions but in order to win his father's respect, and his Fortune 500 company, grown-up, goof-off Billy must repeat all 12 grades of school - in just 24 weeks! Comedy Superstar Adam Sandler stars with beautiful Bridgette Wilson in this laugh-a-minute hit where the subject is always fun! Featuring songs by Electric Light Orchestra, The Jackson 5, The Cars, Culture Club, The Ramones and Styx.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Booklet

My Thoughts:
I must admit... I thought I remembered this one being better then what it actually is. This one really is no more then juvenile jokes and other ignorant  moments. I watched this one expecting at least a few laughs... but I didn't laugh at all through out this entire movie. Was there anything good about this movie... any type of saving grace? Well there is Bridgette Wilson who plays Veronica... if nothing else she was worth looking at!  :drooling: I think what I need to do when it comes to Adam Sandler movies is stick to the newer ones... and forget he even made some of these older.... more slapstick and juvenile movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »
It has been a long time since I saw this movie and I don't remember it being that bad.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
I thought the same thing before I popped it in. But I was shocked at how bad it was to me this time. More then once I almost turned it off.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

Title: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
Year: 2009
Director: Mark Waters
Rating: PG-13
Length: 101 Min.

Stars:
Matthew McConaughey as Connor Mead
Jennifer Garner as Jenny Perotti
Michael Douglas as Uncle Wayne
Breckin Meyer as Paul
Lacey Chabert as Sandra

Plot:
Connor Mead is the kind of guy who dumps three girlfriends. At the same time. By teleconferance. So when he attends his brother's wedding he has a single goal: score with the only bridesmaid he somehow missed. But the ghost of his departed Uncle Wayne - who taught him to love 'em and leave 'em - has another goal in mind: restore Connor's lost faith in true love, a tough assignment requiring the services of many, many Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner and Michael Douglas and director Mark Waters (Mean Girls, Just Like Heaven) uncork a romantic romp as bubbly as wedding-toast champagne. It's the perfect comedy for anyone who believes in laughs and love. Or needs to.

My Thoughts:
This one I watched on HBO On-Demand. I wanted to check this one out because I always liked Jennifer Garner. While I really enjoyed Jennifer Garner in this movie. I did leave it  a little disappointed. There really wasn't to much comedy here. And while I liked the idea of making it basically a rip-off of A Christmas Carol... I really didn't care for who they picked for the ghosts. at least not for the present and future. I did kinda got a kick out of Uncle Wayne... and the Ghost of Christmas past did give me a couple quick chuckles. But over all I just found it to be an average Romantic Comedy. If I do add this one to my DVD collection (if for no other reason then Jennifer Garner) it will be because I found it right cheap. Thinking right around $5 and I MAY grab it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

Title: Journey to the Center of the Earth
Year: 2008
Director: Eric Brevig
Rating: PG
Length: 92 Min.

Stars:
Brendan Fraser as Trevor Anderson
Josh Hutcherson as Sean Anderson
Anita Briem as Hannah Ásgeirsson

Plot:
Professor Trevor Anderson (Brendan Fraser) teaches earth sciences at the university and heads the Center of Volcanic Activity. Max Anderson, Trevor's brother, built the monitoring system and placed the units around the world 10 years earlier. For some unknown reason, Max did not return, leaving behind a wife and son, Sean (Josh Hutcherson). Sean's mother leaves the teenager at Trevor's house to get some quality time with his uncle. They look at Max's copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and find a secret code. Back at the monitoring center Trevor compares the volcanic activity numbers and finds that they are exactly the same as the ones in the book. Trevor and Sean fly to Iceland to check one of the units and to see if they can find some information about where Max went. Trevor hires a beautiful mountain guide, Hannah (Anita Briem), to take them up the volcano. During an electrical storm on the volcano, they get trapped in an abandoned mine. They search for a way out of the mine and discover a wall filled with large diamonds. Unfortunately, the floor they are standing on can't hold their weight, and they fall down a volcano tube for miles and miles until they reach the center of the earth. Once there, they encounter prehistoric glow birds, flying piranha, man-eating plants, and T-Rex dinosaurs that have been extinct for millions of years. They find that they are seeing the same things that were printed in the Jules Verne book. This gave them hope that someone was able to escape from the center of the earth and return to the surface. Douglas Young (the-movie-guy)

My Thoughts:
This one I watched on Cinemax On-Demand. While an entertaining little popcorn flick... I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be with this one. Maybe if I could actually see it in 3D it would have been better. As it looks like it could have had a lot of good 3D effects. I would say for me this one was a little above average. And I would add it to my collection if I found it cheap enough. But I wouldn't pay much for it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
Maybe if I could actually see it in 3D it would have been better. As it looks like it could have had a lot of good 3D effects.
No. 3D doesn't make films better. maybe slightly more immersive, but not better. It will not turn into a 4-star movie once 3D is added :shrug:

Especially since you point out "3D effects", it's clearly gimmick only.