Author Topic: Movies of the '60s Marathon  (Read 13664 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movies of the '60s Marathon
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
Movies of the '60s Marathon
Time for a little Blast from the Past. This thread will be for my reviews of movies made in the '60s.  No matter the Genre, no matter if it was theatrically released or a TV Movie. Just as long as the movie was made in the '60s

Sometime I like to have breaks between the movies in my marathons. And I am in the mood for that once again. This time I will be watching '60s Cartoons  between each movie. As I have SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS: 1960s: VOLUME 1 DVD Release that I would like to watch.

My Movies of the '60s
Where my choices could be... (Titles in Bold is movies I never seen)
- The Amazing Transparent Man
- The Atomic Brain
- Attack of the Monsters
- Batman: The Movie
- Battle of Blood Island
- Between God, The Devil and a Winchester
- The Birds
- Black Sunday
- Blood of Dracula's Castle
- Boot Hill
- The Brain that Wouldn't Die
- Carnival of Souls
- Circus of Fear
- Commandos
- Dementia 13
- The Devil's Hand
- The Devil's Messenger
- Devil's Partner
- Eegah
- El Dorado
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Gorgo
- The Green Berets
- The Haunting
- Hellbenders
- Horrors of Spider Island
- House of the Damned
- In Harm's Way
- The Jungle Book
- Kong Island
- The Little Shop of Horrors
- The Long Hair of Death
- The Longest Day
- The Madmen of Mandoras
- Manos: The Hands of Fate
- The Manster
- Night Fright
- Night of the Living Dead
- Night Tide
- Nightmare in Wax
- One-Eyed Jacks
- Planet of the Apes
- Psycho
- Return of the Magnificent Seven
- Rosemary's Baby
- The Sadist
- Samson in the Wax Museum
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
- The She-Beast
- Sound of Horror
- Tales of Terror
- Terrified
- The Terror
- Terror Creatures from the Grave
- This Man Can't Die
- The Tomb of Ligeia
- The Wasp Woman
- White Comanche
- The Wild Bunch

SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS: 1960s: VOLUME 1
Sit back with favorites from Saturdays past – or share them with someone who never imagined you were once a kid – with this cool 33-'toon (5+ hours!) set. The hep-cat craziness of Top Cat; the unbridal fun of Quick Draw McGraw and El Kabong; the nuttiness of Agent 000, Secret Squirrel; the porcine parade of looniness hosted by Porky Pig. You'll find these, Peter Potamus, Breezly and Sneezly, Yippee, Yappee, Yahooey, The Flintstones, Marine Boy, Herculoids, Magilla Gorilla, Punkin' Puss, Ricochet Rabbit and more reasons to 'toon in. And here are the two biggest reasons of all: They're still great fun. And you're still a kid at heart.

Set Includes 'Toons From:
Disc 1:
1. Top Cat - The Tycoon
2. Atom Ant - Up & Atom
3. Precious Pup - Precious Jewels
4. Hillbilly Bears - Woodpecked
5. Peter Potamus Show - Fe Fi Fo Fun
6. Breezly & Sneezly - All Riot in the Northern Front
7. Yippee, Yappee, Yahooey - The Volunteers
8. Secret Squirrel - Sub Swiper
9. Squiddly Diddly - Way Out Squiddly
10. Winsome Witch - Prince of a Pup
11. The Flintstones - Happy Household
12. The Porky Pig Show - Often an Orphan
13. The Porky Pig Show - Mice Follies
14. The Porky Pig Show - The Super Snooper
15. The Quick Draw McGrawe Show - Dynamite Fright
16. Snooper & Blabber - Outer Space Case
17. Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy - Growing, Growing Gone

Disc 2:
18. The Jetsons - Rosie the Robot
19. Marine Boy - Battle to Save the World
20. Space Ghost - The Heat Thing
21. Dino Boy - The Worm People
22. Space Ghost - Zorak
23. Herculoids - The Beaked People
24. Herculoids - The Raiders
25. The Impossibles - The Bubbler
26. Frankenstein, Jr. - The Shocking Electrical Monster
27. The Impossibles - The Spinner
28. Magilla Gorilla - Gridiron Gorilla
29. Punkin Puss and Mushmouse - Small Change
30. Ricochet Rabbit - Atchison Topeka & Sam Jose
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:20:28 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of the '60s Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »

Title: The Longest Day
Year: 1962
Director: Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton, Bernhard Wicki
Rating: NR
Length: 178 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.0, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Eddie Albert as Colonel Thompson
Paul Anka as United States Army Ranger
Arletty as Madame Barrault
Jean-Louis Barrault as Father Louis Roulland
Richard Beymer as Private Dutch Schultz

Plot:
On June 6, 1944, the Allied Invasion of France marked the beginnig of the end of Nazi domination over Europe. The attack involved 3,000,000 men, 11,000 planes and 4,000 ships, comprising the largest armada the world has ever seen.

Presented in its orginal black & white version, THE LONGEST DAY is a vivid, hour-by-hour re-creation of this historic event. Featuring a stellar international cast, and told from the perspectives of both sides, it is a fascinating look at the massive preparations, mistakes and random events that determined the outcome of one of the biggest battles in history. Winner of two Oscars® (Special Effects and Cinematography), THE LONGEST DAY ranks as one of Hollywood's truly great films.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this movie. It is one of many that our good friend Roger sent my mother when he found out that she loved war movies. I been wanting to see this one for quite some time now... but the 3hr length made me put it off more then once. There is some big names in this movie. Note that I use the program DVD Profiler (An HTML Window) to generate my reviews for all technical information... so the names listed above is not the names I would have personally mentioned. Or I would have pointed out some other names I personally am familiar with such as John Wayne, Red Buttons and so on.

Normally war movies in general is not a favorite genre of mine. Don't get me wrong... I don't hate them. I actually enjoy them quite a bit when I am in the mood for them. Unfortunately the mood does not hit all that often. This is a very good one... but wow it is long!  Unfortunately there is quite a few subtitles in it. Which for me is a big pain since I am a slow reader. I had to rewind a few seconds so often that it probably took me several extra minutes to complete this movie. And the constant rewinding to see what dialog I missed did take away from the movie for me a little. But still... this is a very good movie... deserving of the awards it has won. The cinematography is definitely wonderful... I couldn't get over the imagery used in the movie. It looks fantastic. This is definitely a movie I would recommend to others.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
Toon Time!

Space Ghost and his pals Jan and Jayce fight evil aliens in outer-space with the help of SG's invisibility belt and powerful energy beams from his wristbands.

The Heat Thing
Season 1 - Episode 1
While exploring on the planet Jupiter Jace finds a molten monster. The monster destroys his ship and he is forced to call Space Ghost for help.

My Thoughts:
Since I was born in 1969... I never seen any of the cartoons in this marathon first run... but I have seen many of them in reruns as a kid back in the '70s to early '80s. And this is one I definitely remember from my childhood. I don't know if I would actually call it a favorite... but it is one I enjoyed watching often. I was happy to see that this cartoon held up pretty well for me... and was a nice reminder of my childhood. I may have to consider getting the complete series release.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »

Title: Psycho: Collector's Edition
Year: 1960
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Rating: R
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates
Vera Miles as Lila Crane
John Gavin as Sam Loomis
Martin Balsam as Milton Arbogast
John McIntire as Sheriff Al Chambers

Plot:
Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece of the macabre stars Anthony Perkins as the troubled Norman Bates, whose "old dark house" and adjoining motel are not the place to spend a quiet evening. No one knows that better than Janet Leigh, the film's ill-fated heroine who is victimized in the now-notorious "shower scene." Vera Miles, Martin Balsam, John Gavin and John McIntire co-star in Hitchcock's most compelling and terrifying film. Screenplay by Joseph Stefano.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
8 Page Booklet
Newsreel Footage

My Thoughts:
I have watched this movie time and again... and I never seem to tire of it. There really is nothing about this movie I dislike. As I am learning... Hitchcock was an outstanding artist. Both Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles. Janet Lee... everyone were amazing in their roles. I pretty much know this movie by heart... and still I am glued to my seat every time I watch it. The last time I watched this movie I was pretty hard on it with my rating... but I really can't recommend this movie high enough. So I think I really need to give this movie a full 5 star rating.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
Toon Time!

Dino Boy has a caveman friend named Ugh and a pet dinosaur named Bronty and together they have adventures and close calls in the land of dinosaurs and cavemen.

The Worm People
While playing with Bronty in the forest, Dino Boy is captured by a pterodactyl. After it is attacked by another pterodactyl, Dino Boy is dropped into Horror Swamp where he is captured by the dreaded Worm People.

My Thoughts:
This show was always coupled with the Space Ghost cartoons. So I remember these pretty vividly as well. While I enjoyed this cartoon... I always preferred Space Ghost.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
BTW Jimmy... you can change any existing Psycho review links to just the one above. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »

Title: Batman: The Movie
Year: 1966
Director: Leslie H. Martinson
Rating: PG
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Adam West as Batman (Bruce Wayne)
Burt Ward as Robin (Dick Grayson)
Lee Meriwether as The Catwoman (Kitka)
Cesar Romero as The Joker
Burgess Meredith as The Penguin

Plot:
When Batman (Adam West) and Robin (Burt Ward) get a tip that a commodore (Reginald Denny) is in danger aboard his yacht, they launch a rescue mission. But they are unaware that the tip was actually a set-up by four of the most powerful villains of all time - Catwoman (Lee Merriwether), the Penguin (Burgess Meredith), the Joker (Ceasr Romero) and the Riddler (Frank Gorshin).

Armed with a dehydrator that can turn humans into dust, the fearsome foursome intends to defeat the Dynamic Duo once and for all in a bid to take over the world! Can the Caped Crusaders use their high-flying heroism and amazing gadgetry to foil the nefarious scheme in time?

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt like something lighthearted and silly next. So thought I would watch this Batman movie.... done with the same people (Cast and Crew?) that did the series. A series I used to watch all the time as a kid.

This is one movie I figured it would not hold up to the test of time at all. And yes... this is a corny, cheesy show... but I actually still enjoyed it! What a surprise that was to me. I figured this addition to my collection would be for nostalgic reasons only... but I found something I definitely see myself watching again. Sure there was huge plot holes... sure it was as silly as could be... but it also has a charm about it... and I felt like I was back in my childhood again when I watched it. I am actually wanting to watch it again soon so I can listen to the audio commentary with Adam West and Burt Ward. I have to think that will be one entertaining commentary. When I first got this movie I watched it with my daughter, Brittany. And what did she think of it?... she enjoyed every second of it! She actually wanted to watch it with the commentary that night... but I told her we should put that off for a while. So I am really happy I got this movie added to my collection. I would even consider buying the TV Series... if they could ever figure out who owns the rights to it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »
This is another one that can be replaced Jimmy :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
I kept your second one (because of the conversation with Jon following it), so the older one is replaced. I will replace Batman right now ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
 :laugh: ok... sounds good to me.

Jon... where are you?... no Kudos for correcting my earlier mistake?  :laugh:  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
Toon Time!

"Meet George Jetson...Jane, his wife...daughter Judy...his boy Elroy..." The catchy tune of The Jetsons ideally captures the lighthearted essence of the show, a futuristic counterpoint to The Flintstones that reflected the space-age optimism of the times. The Jetsons were the very first family, animated or not, to have a big-screen home entertainment system decades before it became a reality. They also had flying cars, floating cities and androids, all commonplace scenery of today?s most popular sci-fi blockbusters.

Rosie the Robot
Season 1 - Episode 1
Jane wants a maid but George says they can't afford it. He invites Mr. Spacely over for dinner but what he doesn't know is that Jane has taken a free one day trial offer on a slightly used 'Rosey'. George is in a panic because he thinks that he can't possibly convince Mr. Spacely that he needs the raise if he sees Rosey.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I used to watch all the time when I was a kid. And it has been many years since I have seen an episode! But I must say... this show holds up very well. I really enjoyed watching this episode.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

Title: The Wild Bunch: The Original Director's Cut
Year: 1969
Director: Sam Peckinpah
Rating: R
Length: 145 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
William Holden as Pike
Ernest Borgnine as Dutch
Robert Ryan as Thornton
Edmond O'Brien as Sykes
Warren Oates as Lyle Gorch

Plot:
By any standard, director Sam Peckinpah's film The Wild Bunch, a powerful tale of hang-dog desperados bound by a code of honor, rates as one of the all-time greatest Westerns, perhaps one of the greatest of all times.

This Original Director's Cut restores it to a complete, pristine condition unseen since its July, 1969 theatrical debut. The image is letterboxed, the color renewed, the stereo soundtrack remixed and reintegrated - all to blood-and-thunder effect. Watch William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan and more great stars saddle up for the roles of a lifetime.

This DVD also features (on Side B) the home video debut of The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage, the Academy Award®-nominated 1996 documentary by Paul Seydor and Nick Redman. It includes long-unseen footage of the on-set shooting, and reminiscences by principals connected with the film.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of several movies our good friend Achim sent me last September. And just now getting the chance to watch. It is one of the ones I been wanting to see... but it being almost 2 and a half hours made me put it off a bit. Western movies... much like war movies is not a favorite genre of mine. But it is one I do enjoy quite a bit when I am in the mood for one. And I did enjoy this one quite a bit. The length did not bother me in the least. Matter of fact it seemed to move along rather quickly. And for me that has always been a sign of a good movie. Especially when the movie is of a length of over two hours. Even if you only have a mild fondness for Westerns... this is one you really should check out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
 :clap:

One of the most important Westerns ever made. Glad you liked it, Pete!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:58 AM »
^ What he said. :D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 01:25:54 PM »
As I said in the '70s thread... I am considering making my decade threads ongoing instead of stopping when I finish the Saturday Morning Cartoons Collection sets I have. If I do this... as I like watching my toons between the movies... I would be able to add the following toons into my marathon...

These 2 sets alone will give me 88 more cartoons to watch between my movies of the '60s!
Pete