Author Topic: Movies of the '70s Marathon  (Read 36965 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of the '70s Marathon
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 02:35:09 AM »
Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies. Now... please lets see a dvd release of Return to Salem's Lot! It has been so long since I seen the sequel I can't remember anything other then it's existence.
Well, I remember it had Sam Fuller(!) in it and Michael Moriarty (since it was a Larry Cohen film). I alkso remember that the vampire had become friendly and were feeding from cows rather from humans for the time being. Then, obviously, some problems would arise.

I too would love to see a DVD release of this? Who do we write to? Warner seems to have been the VHS distributor...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 05:11:07 AM »
A german dvd of it was released with german and english audio.

You can order it here

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Well... I am about half way through this marathon... but think I will take a break from it for a day or two and concentrate on some TV Series. Maybe finish off my Angel marathon.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Toon Time!

The series focuses on Wheelie, a red Volkswagen Beetle, and his girlfriend Rota Ree (a pun on both the "rotary engine" and Ruta Lee). Wheelie made his living as a professional- and quite successful- racing and stunt car. Wheelie didn't talk (Unlike the other characters in the show) but emoted by honking and displaying symbols across his windshield showing his inner thoughts such as a heart for love or a lightbulb for an idea. Wheelie could also produce any form of prop needed from his trunk thru the use of special mechanized hands, much like Inspector Gadget would later. Wheelie's regular nemeses were a 4-member motorcycle gang called the Chopper Bunch which included the leader Chopper (Who was jealous of Wheelie and had a spiked motorcycle helmet for a head), Revs (a sputtering three-wheeled motorcycle who often mixed up his words), Hi-Riser (who was tall in body but shorter in brains), and Scrambles (a small minibike who acted more like the good kid caught up in the wrong crowd). Scrambles would constantly try to warn Chopper that his plans were about to backfire only to be rebuffed ("Muffle it, Scrambles!") and end up taunting his sullen leader once they inevitably did:

The Infiltrator
Season 1 - Episode 9
Little C.C. wants to join Chopper's bunch and Chopper uses C.C. to spy on Wheelie and set traps for him. Will C.C. trick Wheelie into falling for Chopper's traps?

My Thoughts:
The first thing I noticed when watching the second episode on the set... At least in the case of Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch is that they didn't have the opening theme on the second (and I imagine 3rd) episode. I still don't think too highly of these toons. It is one of those deals where I will watch it since it is on the set... but it is not a show I would actually buy to add to my collection... even if it was released in a complete series set.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »

Title: M*A*S*H: Five Star Collection
Year: 1970
Director: Robert Altman
Rating: R
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Donald Sutherland as Captain Benjamin 'Hawkeye' Pierce
Elliott Gould as Captain 'Trapper' John McIntyre
Tom Skerritt as Captain Augustus 'Duke' Forrest
Sally Kellerman as Major Margaret 'Hot Lips' Houlihan
Robert Duvall as Major Frank Burns, M.D.

Plot:
One of the world's most acclaimed comedies, M*A*S*H focuses on three Korean War Army surgeons brilliantly brought to life by Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt and Elliott Gould. Though highly skilled and deeply dedicated, they adopt a hilarious, lunatic lifestyle as an antidote to the tragedies of their Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and in the process infuriate Army bureaucrats. Robert Duvall, Gary Burghoff and Sally Kellerman co-star as a sanctimonious Major, an other-worldly Corporal, and a self-righteous yet lusty nurse.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have not watched in years. It is a fun movie to watch... I enjoy it. But I do prefer the series over this movie. That could be because I grew up watching the series. While the movie was fun it lacked the style of comedy that the series is so well known for. My interest in the movie strayed a bit once they got to the football game. I mean it was ok... but not sure it worked well with the rest of the movie. Especially where they had Hot Lips lead the cheerleaders. That just seemed out of character for her going by the rest of the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
Need some opinions people. Almost time to work on some movies again for the weekend. But not sure if I want to just continue on with this thread. I am starting to tire of older movies a little. Or start something completely different... and come back to this thread at a latter date.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
Well, I like older movies...but then I am an old geezer.  And to me, the 70s aren't old at all anyway.  :stars:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
LOL... well I was born in May of 1969 so I was between 8months and 10 within the '70s... yup... they are old. :P The movies are between 30 and 40 years old.  :o
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
OK... I think I decided what I want to do for this weekend.....

I will be setting up a thread like this one.... but for the '60s. And Will leave it as a normal marathon thread like this one where I can work on it whenever I like.

This weekend I will watch whatever I feel like watching at the time. If I watch something from the '70s I will put it in this thread... If I watch something from the '60s I will put it in the Movies of the '60s Marathon thread. If I watch something newer I will put it in my Random Movie Review thread.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 05:11:47 AM »
The movies are between 30 and 40 years old.  :o
please don't EVER highlight that fact again. :redcard:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
 :laugh: Pardon me, Sir!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
Toon Time!

Goober and the Ghost Chasers was a Saturday morning cartoon produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions which aired on ABC from September 8, 1973 to August 30, 1975. Similar to Hanna-Barbera's successful Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, Goober and the Ghost Chasers also features a group of teenagers solving spooky mysteries with their dog, Goober. The major differences were that the ghosts they eventually find are real, some of those behind the mask of some fake ghosts are not criminals, Goober had the power to become invisible when he was scared by ghosts, and his closest human companion is reckless instead of cowardly. A total of 16 half-hour episodes of Goober and the Ghost Chasers were produced.

Assignment: The Ahab Apparition
Season 1 - Episode 1
The Partridge kids are vacationing at Peaceful Cove, but it's anything but peaceful! The ghost of Captain Ahab and Moby Dick are haunting the old mansion on the cliff and it's up to Goober and the kids to interview them for their magazine.

My Thoughts:
This is another show I remember watching as a kid. Much like Space Ghost... this one I wouldn't call a favorite... but always enjoyed. I personally always preferred Scooby Doo over these knock offs. But these are a fun watch all the same. And I must admit I did always like the "invisible dog" idea so that added a little something to this one.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »

Title: Time Travelers
Year: 1976
Director: Alexander Singer
Rating: NR
Length: 73 Min.
Video: Full Framed 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sam Groom as Dr. Clint Earnshaw
Tom Hallick as Jeff Adams
Francine York as Dr. Helen Sanders
Booth Colman as Dr. Amos Cummings
Richard Basehart as Dr. Jushua P. Henderson

Plot:
In 1976, there's an outbreak of a disease that no one has seen before. All what they know is that rsembles a disease that existed at around 1871, and that a Dr. Henderson was able to save most of his patients but the Chicago Fire destroyed his records. Dr. Earnshaw the doctor looking for a cure was approached by a man, Jeffrey Adams, who believes that he could help him. It seems that a Dr. Amos Cummings has prefected the art of time travel, and the plan is for Earnshaw and Adams to go back to 1871 and learn how Henderson cured his patients. But a glitch in the machines computers sends them the day before the fire not four days as intended.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie that I forgot I had... not even in the list at the start of this thread. I forgot it because it is a Bonus Feature on the DVD Release of Time Tunnel: Vol. 2. I liked the idea of this movie... the storyline could have been good. But unfortunately the end product leaves a lot to be desired. I just found the movie slow moving and a bit on the boring side. Through-out the movie I found myself looking up at the counter on my player to see how far into the movie I was... and how long before it would be over. While I think the cast did a good job with what they were given...  they couldn't save this one. I can't recommend this movie. At least it was free in a TV Series set for a show I like.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »
The movies are between 30 and 40 years old.  :o
please don't EVER highlight that fact again. :redcard:

I agree...I'm trying to stay in denial here.  I think it is time to stop counting birthdays.  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
Toon Time!

In this series, Mr. Chan, his ten children and their dog Chu Chu solve mysteries around the world, with the children helping their father in every episode. They traveled in a van which could be transformed into other vehicles (much like Hong Kong Phooey's Phooeymobile) with the push of a button.

Scotland Yard
Season 1 - Episode 16
A priceless stone called the Stone of Scone is stolen and the Chan Clan must help get it back.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the ones that I could barely remember. I don't think it was one I watched regularly. Matter of fact till I was setting it up (finding the above picture) I forgot that the Chan Clan was some of the kids in their own music group. Brittany is here watching it with me... and of course she wants to torture Daddy... so there was no choosing something else!  :voodoo: Oh well... I have to watch it eventually anyway. And wouldn't you know it... the very beginning (and ending) of the episode is of them preforming a song! Other then the music they play... it is a decent enough show.

Pete