Author Topic: Movies of the '70s Marathon  (Read 36959 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Movies of the '70s Marathon
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
To really appreciate how great the original "Jaws" is, you should next go watch "Jaws IV".  It brings new meaning to the promo line...

This time it's personal!  :tv:

Then again, it might not fit into your theme...I'm thinking that one may have come out in the early 80s rather than the 70s  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
Pete, you mentioned how Fred and Alan look similar

They kind of made fun of these type of things in a Cartoon Network promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k5-Jli_OIM#

It starts at 9:20

Its called six degrees of separation Velma.

:laugh: I seen that commercial before.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »
To really appreciate how great the original "Jaws" is, you should next go watch "Jaws IV".  It brings new meaning to the promo line...

This time it's personal!  :tv:

Then again, it might not fit into your theme...I'm thinking that one may have come out in the early 80s rather than the 70s  :laugh:

If you are talking about the other Jaws I have... Jaws: The Revenge (I don't know what # it is)... then it was made in 1987.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
That's the one...the fourth and thankfully last of the series.  The second one was titled Jaws II for some reason  :whistle: while the third was Jaws 3D (though I don't know if any DVD copies are in 3D...so the home video version may be titled simply Jaws 3).  Jaws 3D actually happened to be the film debut for Lea Thompson, by the way.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »
I will have to look into the other 2 I don't have sometime.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
Title: Jaws

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

There, I fixed it :P

For a long time I could only think of Dreyfus as Matt Hooper... If I later saw him in other films I would say: Look, it's the guy from Jaws :laugh: If you don't like him, fair enough, but I find he has some of the funniest dialog in the film.

Jaws 3D actually happened to be the film debut for Lea Thompson, by the way.
..and it has Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr.!

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 06:44:37 AM »
Pete, something's wrong. One of the stars fell off. You see, Jaws cannot physically be less than a full five.  :shrug: I'm confused...

There, I fixed it :P

:yawn: <- A yawn escaped me as I opened my Jaws. SCNR
Matthias

snowcat

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
...This is turning into a big discussion...

I think we are gonna need a bigger board  :P

... :-[

(Sorry)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

Wow, you really went there. :o
(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »

Wow, you really went there. :o
(click to show/hide)

:yawn: <- A yawn escaped me as I opened my Jaws. SCNR
:laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
Strangely enough, in his review Pete didn't even mention the great music score by John Williams.  What's that all about?  :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
 :hmmmm: There was music?  :shrug:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
Well... it don't look like I will have this marathon done by Sunday like I wanted to. Will have to be one of my on-going marathons.  Only got 2 movies watched yesterday! :( And then today I had to take Brittany for a check up. Doctor said she is fit as a fiddle!  :thumbup: So don't see myself getting to much watched today. But I will be working on it today... and throughout the weekend. But looks like it will go into next week as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »

Title: The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen
Year: 1973
Director: William Friedkin
Rating: R
Length: 132 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Ellen Burstyn as Chris MacNeil
Max von Sydow as Father Merrin
Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Kinderman
Kitty Winn as Sharon
Jack MacGowran as Burke Dennings

Plot:
Brace yourself as one of the all-time spellbinders possesses you all over again. Director William Friedkin and producer/screenwriter William Peter Blatty have revisited The Exorcist to integrate 11 minutes of scenes and images deleted before the film's 1973 release and digitally restore the picture and audio elements. The result is an experience more gripping than ever.

Now seen are moments deepening the impact of the performances by Linda Blair, Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max von Sydow and Lee J. Cobb. They include a "nervous disorder" diagnosis, expansion of Father Merrin's arrival before the ritual, priestly doubts during the ritual, an epilogue with Lt. Kinderman and Father Dyer and most notably, a shattering staircase descent by Regan. Winner of OscarsĀ® for Best Adapted Screenplay (by Blatty) and Sound, The Exorcist astonishes time and again like no other movie.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Theatrical Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Let me start out this review by letting you all know that this film holds a special place in my heart. This was Dawn's (my late wife) all time favorite movie. We watched this together countless times. And it never failed to scare her every time. Scared her to the point that after watching it she made me follow her around the house as she didn't want to be anywhere alone. I always felt it was unfortunate she never saw this version of the movie. While the movie never scared me. I could see how it would scare people.

The above reminds me of something else. Several years later my niece spent the night with us. And she came to me saying... "Uncle Pete, Show me a movie that will scare me!" So I instantly thought of The Exorcist... and can you believe she sat there and laughed through the entire movie!?!? Kids now a day! Which bring us to the point that it was Brittany chose this movie to watch next. (So you can expect a review from Brittany soon) But I already told her.... if she laughs at this movie... I am calling a psychiatrist!

To me this is a great movie. Sure it is a bit slow in parts. But the story is of such interest to me that it didn't "feel" slow. I of course love the head spin scene... and then there is the whole spider walk down the stairs scene... very cool. I am afraid that my problem reviewing this movie is determining how much of my fondness is for the quality of the movie and how much of it is how it just holds a special place in my heart. So how true is the rating I am giving it? I am questioning myself on this matter. But one thing I would never question myself on is the fact that I would definitely recommend this movie!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
Jimmy... I already have a review for this disc up... but this one is much more detailed so you can just fix the link to point to this one!  :thumbup:
Pete