Author Topic: Movies of the '70s Marathon  (Read 36962 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movies of the '70s Marathon
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
Movies of the '70s Marathon
Time for a little Blast from the Past. From now... through-out the weekend I will be watching movies that was made back in the '70s. No matter the Genre, no matter if it was theatrically released or a TV Movie. Just as long as the movie was made in the '70s

Sometime I like to have breaks between the movies in my marathons. And I am in the mood for that once again. This time I will be watching '70s Cartoons  between each movie. As I have SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS: 1970s: VOLUME 1 DVD Release that I would like to watch.

My goal is to watch every cartoon in that set. So that means I need a goal of 18 movies over the next 4 days. Not sure I will make it... but I will give it a go!

My Movies of the '70s
Where my choices could be... (Titles in Bold is movies I never seen)
- The Abominable Dr. Phibes
- Alien
- The Amityville Horror
- Battle for the Planet of the Apes
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Black Brigade
- Blood Mania
- Bloodsucking Freaks
- The Boy in the Plastic Bubble
- The Brain Machine
- Burnt Offerings
- Carrie
- Chino
- Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
- Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride
- Creature from Black Lake
- Creeper
- Cry Blood Apache
- Crypt of the Living Dead
- Curse of the Headless Horseman
- Damien: The Omen II
- Dawn of the Dead
- Deep Red
- Deliverance
- Demon Seed
- Deranged
- Desperate Mission
- Die Sister Die
- Dirty Harry
- Don't Look in the Basement
- Dr. Phibes Rises Again!
- Duel
- The Dunwich Horror
- Embryo
- The Enforcer
- Enter the Dragon
- Escape from the Planet of the Apes
- Escape to Witch Mountain
- The Exorcist
- Flesh Feast
- Freaky Friday
- Frogs
- God Told Me To
- Good Against Evil
- The Grand Duel
- Halloween
- Hanged Man
- Horror of the Zombies
- How Awful About Allan
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- It Can't Be Done Amigo
- Jack the Ripper
- Jaws
- Kid Vengeance
- King Kong
- Legacy of Blood
- Lady Frankenstein
- The Last House on the Left
- Legend of Big Foot
- The Legend of Hell House
- The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
- Madhouse
- Magnum Force
- MASH
- Messiah of Evil
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Moon of the Wolf
- The Murder Mansion
- The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
- The Night Stalker
- The Night Strangler
- Norma Rae
- The Omen
- Phantasm
- Powder Keg
- Rage of the Master
- Rattlers
- Rescue from Gilligan's Island
- Return from Witch Mountain
- Salem's Lot
- Satan's Slave
- Satanic Rites of Dracula
- Savage Weekend
- Scooby Doo Meets Batman
- Scream of the Wolf
- Screaming Ninjas
- The Severed Arm
- Silent Night, Bloody Night
- Sisters of Death
- Slave of the Cannibal God
- Snake Crane Secret
- Snow Beast
- Spare Parts
- Stanley
- Summer of Fear
- Superman
- Tales from the Crypt
- Terror
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Theater of Blood
- Trauma
- Trilogy of Terror
- Trip with the Teacher
- Vampire's Night Orgy
- Vault of Horrors
- Voodoo Black Exorcist
- War of the Robots
- Web of the Spider
- The Werewolf and the Vampire Woman
- The Werewolf of Washington
- White Fang to the Rescue
- Wolf Man
- Young Frankenstein
- Zombie

SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS: 1970s: VOLUME 1
Remember when the coolest, funnest day of the week was Saturday? Sure you do! That's when you tuned into the 'toons. The funny ones, the futuristic ones, the action packed ones – they were all part of your growing up. So blame them. Better yet, relive them with this 17-cartoon (5+ hours!) array of shows you watched while wearing your PJs and digging into a bowl of cereal.

Set Includes 'Toons From:

AMAZING CHAN
AND THE CHAN CLAN

THE BATMAN TARZAN
ADVENTURE HOUR

FUNKY PHANTOM

GOOBER AND
THE GHOST CHASERS

HONG KONG PHOOEY

THE JETSONS

JOSIE AND
THE PUSSYCATS

THE NEW SCOOBY
DOO MOVIES

ROMAN HOLIDAYS

SPEED BUGGY

WHEELIE AND THE
CHOPPER BUNCH

YOGI'S GANG

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:05:07 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Movies of the '70s Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »

Title: The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Year: 1971
Director: Robert Fuest
Rating: PG-13
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: French, Spanish

Stars:
Vincent Price as Dr. Phibes
Joseph Cotten as Dr. Vesalius
Virginia North as Vulnavia
Terry-Thomas as Dr. Longstreet
Sean Bury as Lem

Plot:
Vincent Price plays a diabolical doc seeking the ultimate in revenge with precision creepiness...and surgical wit! After a team of surgeons botches his beloved wife's operation, the distraught Dr. Phibes unleashes a score of Old-Testament atrocities – from a plague of locusts to an attack of rats – on his enemies that climax in what may be one of "the eeriest endings on screen record" (Syracuse Herald-Journal)!

Extras:
Scene Access
Theatrical Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the many in my collection I never seen before today. Though it is one that was suggested to me on many occasions by many people. Vincent Price has become a favorite of mine. I have to admit... I had my concerns about this one as soon as it started. Since I am not a fan of music of any kind. And this one opens with some strange orchestra. The movie itself... while good... I was expecting better. Maybe because of how people have gone on and on about it to me... causing my expectations to be higher then they should have been. But over all it is worth watching and I am glad I have it in my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Well... one thing made my marathon easier. The case says there is 17 cartoons in that set. When I popped in the discs I found there is only 16... so that is one less movie I need to watch for this marathon.

Here is the list of cartoons:

Disc 1:
1. The Jetsons - Space Car
2. The New Adventures of Batman (The Batman Tarzan Adventure Hour) - Pest
3. Tarzan Lord of the Jungle (The Batman Tarzan Adventure Hour) - Tarzan and the Colossus of Zome
4. Hong Kong Fooey - Car Thieves
5. Hong Kong Fooey - Zoo Story
6. Goober and the Ghost Chasers - Assignment Ahaab Apparition
7. Speed Buggy - Speed Buggy Went That-A-Way
8. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - Double Cross Country
9. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - The Infiltrator
10. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch - The Stunt Show

Disc 2:
11. Yogi's Gang - Greedy Geenie
12. Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan - Scotland Yard
13. Roman Holidays - Double Date
14. Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space - The Nemo's a No-No Affair
15. The New Scooby Doo Movies - The Ghostly Creep from the Deep
16. The Funky Phantom - I'll Haunt You Later

Then I got a phone call that made this marathon harder again. Brittany has a doctor's appointment I forgot about tomorrow morning. So that will take away from the time to watch movies.

But at least Britt will be home from school tomorrow... giving us 3 days to watch movies and toons together instead of 2.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:22:38 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
Toon Time!

"The Jungle -- here I was born, and here my parents died when I was but an infant. I would have soon perished too, had I not been found by a kindly she-ape named Kala who adopted me as her own and taught me the ways of the wild. I learned quickly and grew stronger each day. And now I share the frendship and trust of all jungle animals. The Jungle is filled with beauty and danger, and lost cities filled with good and evil. This is my domain, and I protect those who come here for I am Tazan, Lord of the Jungle."

Tarzan and the Colossus of Zome
Season 2 - Episode 3
When one city of miniature people build a giant robot to fight another city of miniature people, Tarzan must make peace between them.

My Thoughts:
When I seen this listed in the set... for the life of me I couldn't remember this cartoon. Then as soon as I saw the intro of the show it all came flooding back to me. As it was actually one of my favorites from my childhood. Now the question is did it hold up? In my opinion it definitely did! I enjoyed it very much and felt like a kid again watching it. Of course it reminds me of many other cartoons from the time. Same style, same familiar background music (yes... sometimes I do notice this... if the same stuff is used often as it is in the toons of the '70s) and same morals to the story-lines. The characters always learn a lesson in the kid shows back then. It is a shame that all the episodes to this classic toon is not on DVD.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »

Title: Jaws
Year: 1975
Director: Steven Spielberg
Rating: PG
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Roy Scheider as Brody
Robert Shaw as Quint
Richard Dreyfuss as Hooper
Lorraine Gary as Ellen Brody
Murray Hamilton as Vaughn

Plot:
This Special 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition is Digitally Mastered and contains exclusive footage, interviews, and behind-the-scenes material.

Steven Spielberg directed this classic film that became one of the most enduring action-suspense films of all time.

"JAWS" was an instant blockbuster, a phenomenon, and today it is still among the highest grossing films in motion picture history, acclaimed by critics and audiences alike.

Rediscover the timeless film that continues to make entire generations afraid to go in the water.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I have watched this movie in a very long time. This is only the second time I watched it since I bought it a good 7 years ago. Not because it is a bad movie as I do enjoy it. Though I don't think I enjoy it quite as much as a lot of people. It is a good story but I do find it slow at times. Plus there is the fact that I was never much of a fan of Richard Dreyfuss though I did enjoy him in this more then I do in most movies I have seen with him. Over all... I would definitely recommend this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Pete, something's wrong. One of the stars fell off. You see, Jaws cannot physically be less than a full five.  :shrug: I'm confused...

:tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
LOL... it lost a point for having Richard Dreyfuss in it... I never did like that guy!  :tease:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
I agree with Jon...this is definitely a 5-star movie.  I think we need to overrule Pete's 4 star raging.  My best friend Norman (who died in 2000) saw this movie more than any other film in his life.  And I do consider this one of the greatest adventure films ever made.  And who cares if it has a few slow moments?  Not every film has to be non-stop action from start to finish.

For daring to take a star away from this film, I banish you to a viewing of Dreyfuss in "The Goodbye Girl"...  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Can't... I don't have it!  :tease:

Besides... Britt is punishing me already... she is making me sit through Josie and the Pussycats!  :yucky:  :suicide:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
If I really wanted to make you suffer, I'd make you watch a movie about music...starring Richard Dreyfuss!  I think he made two such movies...The Competition (when he was younger)...and Mr. Holland's Opus!  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
I don't own any!  :tease:

Lets see... all I have with Richard Dreyfuss is...

- Jaws
- An episode of Bewitched: Season 2
- Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys (Brittany's Collection)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
 :hysterical:

Mr. Holland's Opus is a nice film. Pete, you would enjoy it despite being 50% Dreyfuss and 50% music!

And you're watching a movie with both Tara Reid and Rachael Leigh Cook at their cutest. Silver linings and all that... :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:03 PM »

Toon Time!

Josie and the Pussycats followed the adventures of an all-girl rock and roll group as they travelled the world playing gigs and along the way thwarted the weird diabolical plots of several megalomaniacs looking to rule the world.

The Nemo's a No-No Affair
Season 1 - Episode 1
While on a low-economy cruise to Pago Pago Island, the gang's ship is attacked and sunk by Captain Nemo's super submarine. The great-grandson of the original Nemo reveals his plans of using his sub to sink any ship in his path in order to rule the seas. After being captured and dropped to the bottom of the ocean, the Pussycats escape, locate Nemo's headquarters on Volcano Island and set out to stop his plans in their unusual, madcap fashion.

My Thoughts:
OMG... the torture my own daughter put me through! How could she! This is basically nothing more then a Scooby Doo rip-off set to music. I mean some of the characters are even drawn to look like the characters of Scooby Doo (Fred/Alan) And even sounds like they had the same actors on a couple of the voices. This is definitely not one I would recommend seeing. Very very bad!  :thumbdown:

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
Oh good grief, so you don't even get Tara and Rachael?  :-X

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
Pete, you mentioned how Fred and Alan look similar

They kind of made fun of these type of things in a Cartoon Network promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k5-Jli_OIM#

It starts at 9:20

Its called six degrees of separation Velma.