Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Alice in Wonderland
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:50 AM »
I went to see Alice in Wonderland last week.  I really enjoyed the movie.

I don’t remember reading the books about Alice and I think I’ve only seen the animated Disney movie, though I know the general story.  For this movie, some people haven’t liked that it has a more original plot and is basically set up like a sequel.  Some of what happens is predictable, but I think the plot worked and I liked that there was more of a plot than there was for the animated movie.  The plot is interesting and it does sort of tie in to the animated movie by setting things up like Alice had been to Wonderland as a child and was back years later at 19.  The visuals are very well done and make the setting an interesting place.  I did see the movie in 3D.  That was done fine, though it was more subtle than some of the other 3D movies I’ve seen.

I did like the characters.  Basically all of them are at least a little bit wacky.  I loved Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter.  The character obviously has sanity issues, but he has moments of clarity too.  That makes the character more interesting in my opinion instead of just having him be a loon who drinks tea.  He does still do loony things at times, but the character is a bit more rounded.  The Red Queen works well as the villain of the movie.  The White Queen is a nice contrast, though she isn’t playing with a full deck either.  Alice is dealing with a few things throughout the movie and she is a decent main character.  The cast is wonderful.  

This one isn’t going to appeal to everyone, but I think it is very entertaining and worth seeing.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Alice in Wonderland

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Alice in Wonderland
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
I decided to add a bit here since I have the Blu-ray now. 

There are some interesting extras on how the characters and locations were created.  None of them are that long though.  I do think they are worth watching for anyone who enjoyed the movie.

Jimmy, my review of this one isn't in the list of movie reviews.  At least I didn't see it there.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:01:09 AM »
Seems to have turned quite into a sleeper hit. It just surpassed The Dark Knight for world wide overall takings and is hot on the heels of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. It may still catch up to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as well, beyond that it's doubtful that it will surpass Titanic eventually. Quite a feat for this film, with its crooked retrofitted 3D!

Not sure why, but the before-mentioned news put me off watching this even more :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »
This is a bit different and it won't appeal to some people, but I think it is really good.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »
I just couldn't take to this film. I really don't understand why it did so well. I'm a long term fan of Tim Burton but this is in my opinion one of his worst films, it just felt empty compared to his other offerings. Visually it looked good, in 2D that is (the 3D was awful) but storywise it was just frustrating.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »
Jimmy, my review of this one isn't in the list of movie reviews.  At least I didn't see it there.
The alphebetic order in the A section was a mess, I just redid it correctly. Thanks!

W0m6at

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
I just couldn't take to this film. I really don't understand why it did so well. I'm a long term fan of Tim Burton but this is in my opinion one of his worst films, it just felt empty compared to his other offerings. Visually it looked good, in 2D that is (the 3D was awful) but storywise it was just frustrating.
Thanks for putting my feelings so eloquently (though I haven't seen it in 3D).

lyonsden5

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
I watched it last night. My Dad bought the Blu-ray for my wife, who is a huge Johnny Depp fan. Of course we had to watch it right away.

Personally I'm not a big Tim Burton fan. It's not that I don't enjoy his movies, I usually do. I just don't go rushing to the store the day they come out. With this one being cast with the usual Tim Burton suspects, namely Johnny Depp and H/B/C ( :tease: ) and the fact that it was another "3-D" movie I went in pretty skeptical. I have to say I enjoyed it a lot! I would even give it a on the DVDC rating scale.

I fell for Alice in the 1st 5 minutes and couldn't wait to see what would happen to her next and how she would react. To me it was her that made the movie. Perfect casting. I thought the story was good as well. I even commented that I wished it would have been a bit longer when it was over. Of course it was a bit predictable. You knew at the end
(click to show/hide)

I was glad they added the "I'll see you before you know it" line at the end and hope they do a sequel . Yes, I said it. I want to see Alice II - Back to Wonderland   :tomato: