Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies  (Read 12738 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
TV Stars in the Movies
I had so much fun with this marathon about a month ago that I decided I wanted to give it another go. There is definiteloy enough movies in my collection to do it a few more times without going back to the same movies over again.

The way I work this is I can watch any movie that has an actor from a TV Series in it. But not any old actor that appears in a TV Series. They must be a fairly regular cast member for at least 1 season of a show. So people must be familiar with the actor in the TV Series role. For example... Juliet Landau played Drusilla in many episodes of Buffy and Angel... so she is fair game. Quentin Tarantino played in a couple episodes of Alias as McKenas Cole. His role on Alias is not enough to include him in this marathon.

Some Highlights I am hoping to get to this weekend...
- Devour (Jensen Ackles of Supernatural)
- Superman Batman: Public Enemies (Allison Mack of Smallville / LeVar Burton of Star Trek: TNG)
- Shadow Puppets (Jolene Blalock of Enterprise / James Marsters of Buffy & Angel)
- Urban Legend (Michael Rosenbaum of Smallville)
- Soul Survivors (Eliza Dushku of Tru Calling, Buffy, Dollhouse)
etc, etc, etc.

The ones above in bold is movies I never seen before.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: TV Stars in the Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »
TV Stars in the Movies Marathon

Title: Fantastic 4
Year: 2005
Director: Tim Story
Rating: PG-13
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards
Jessica Alba as Sue Storm
Chris Evans as Johnny Storm
Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm
Julian McMahon as Victor Von Doom

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Jessica Alba
Sue Storm
Dark Angel
All
Max Guevera
Julian McMahon
Victor Von Doom
Charmed
3-5
Cole Turner

Smaller Parts/Cameos:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Gina Holden
LV Receptionist
Blood Ties
All
Coreen Fennel
Peter Bryant
Lame Joke Business Man
Dark Angel
Bling

Plot:
Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans head a sexy, star-powered cast in this explosive adventure about a quartet of flawed, ordinary human beings who suddenly find themselves with extraordinary abilities.

After exposure to cosmic radiation, four astronauts become the most remarkable, if dysfunctional, super heroes of all time. Unfortunately, the mission's sponsor has also been transformed — into the world's most lethal super-villain — setting the stage for a confrontation of epic proportions. Packed with nonstop action, awesome special effects and irreverent humor, Fantastic Four is exhilarating fun from start to finish!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have been a fan of the Fantastic Four since watching the cartoon series from back in the '60s or '70s when I was a kid. Forgive me for using the obvious word here... but going by my memory of the show... I think they did a Fantastic job bringing the characters to life. I liked everyone in this movie. And that is saying something since this is the first (and so far only) thing I have seen that I actually like Julian McMahon in. But I thought he did a great job here. I think Chris Evans got The Human Torch dead on. Jessica Alba was awesome as Sue Storm (The Invisible Woman). I remember when I first heard they were doing this movie I was concerned how The Thing would look in the movie... but that impressed me as well. I think the origin story is both interesting and fun. And I loved the scene on the bridge where the team first came to be. This is one I would definitely recommend. I enjoyed every minute of it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »

Title: Shadow Puppets
Year: 2007
Director: Michael Winnick
Rating: NR
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jolene Blalock as Kate
James Marsters as Jack
Marc Winnick as Charlie
Diahnna Nicole Baxter as Stacy
Natasha Alam as Amber

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Jolene Blalock
Kate
Star Trek: Enterprise
All
T'Pol
James Marsters
Jack
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Spike
Spike

Plot:
Jolene Blalock (STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE) James Marsters (BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL) and Tony Todd (CANDYMAN) star in this creepy chiller about a group of strangers who awaken in a locked asylum ward with no idea of who they are or how they got there. They are half-naked, cold and frightened. And they are not alone. Who has erased their memories? Why have they been imprisoned? And what is the supernatural force that is slaughtering them one by one? The answers wait deep in the darkness where a beast hungers to feed, escape is virtually impossible, and the shadows of sanity may hide the most shocking revelations of all.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a cool horror. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Actually I enjoyed every minute of it. While watching this one all I could think of is how it felt like some of those survival horror video games I used to play.  Jolene Blalock played a very strong character in this movie... and there is nothing I enjoy more in a horror movie then a strong female character. I have always hated the women in horror movies that does nothing but scream and running scared... without even thinking of what they are doing or where they are going. I really liked all the characters in this one. Along with the 2 TV stars above... this one has Tony Todd... another person I have become a fan of over the years. If you haven't yet... you should give this one a try.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »

Title: The Bat
Year: 1959
Director: Crane Wilbur
Length: 80 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Vincent Price as Dr. Malcolm Wells
Agnes Moorehead as Cornelia Van Gorder
Gavin Gordon as Lieutenant Anderson
John Sutton as Warner
Lenita Lane as Lizzia Allen

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Agnes Moorehead
Cornelia Van Gorder
Bewitched
All
Endora

Plot:
Horror Legend Vincent Price (House of Usher) and OSCAR® nominee Agnes Moorehead (The Magnificent Ambersons) star in this suspense thriller based on Mary Roberts Rinehart's oft-filmed novel and stageplay. Mystery writer Cornelia van Gorder (Moorehead) rents a spooky country house for the summer, while the masked criminal called The Bat is on the loose -- and Dr. Malcolm Wells (Price) knows more than he's telling.

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this classic Vincent Price movies. It is on double feature disc with House on Haunted Hill. Another Vincent Price movie. This DVD is put out by the Roan Group and is labeled Horror Classics #3: Vincent Price Collection . But the problem with that is I wouldn't call The Bat a horror movie. It is a murder mystery. But it is one I enjoyed. I am glad I have it in my collection. I admit it was a little strange to see Agnes Moorehead in something other then Bewitched... but she did a good job. Thought she was very believable in the role. I enjoyed the storyline... even though I did guess the murderer ahead of time. I wouldn't say it is completely obvious... but I did guess it about half way through the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »

Title: Carrie
Year: 1976
Director: Brian De Palma
Rating: R
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: French, Spanish

Stars:
Sissy Spacek as Carrie
Piper Laurie as Margaret White
Amy Irving as Sue Snell
William Katt as Tommy Ross
John Travolta as Billy Nolan

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
John Travolta
Billy Nolan
Welcome Back, Kotter
1-3
Vinnie Barbarino
William Katt
Tommy Ross
Greatest American Hero
All
Ralph Hinkley

Plot:
Based on the best-selling Stephen King novel, Carrie "catches the mind, shakes it and refuses to let go" (Time Magazine)! Starring Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie (in Oscar®-nominated* performances), John Travolta and Amy Irving, this ultimate revenge fantasy is "absolutely spellbinding" (Roger Ebert), "outrageously witty" (Los Angeles Times) and one of the all-time great horror classics!

At the center of the terror is Carrie (Spacek), a tortured high-school misfit with no confidence, no friends...and no idea about the extent of her secret powers of telekinesis. But when her psychotic mother and sadistic classmates finally go too far, the once-shy teen becomes an unrestrained, vengeance-seeking powerhouse who, with the help of her 'special gift,' causes all hell to break loose in a famed cinematic frenzy of blood, fire and brimstone!

*1976: Spacek, Actress; Laurie, Supporting Actress

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
Booklet

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I haven't watched in years. I enjoyed this more then I thought I would actually. I kinda remembered it as being on the slow side. Which it does have a few slow scenes. But it is still a good  and interesting story. I liked everyone in the movie. Including Piper Laurie as Carries mother... though I do think that (maybe purposely?) over-acted the part. It wasn't really bad... more like a hard time believing that she was that much of a nut case. I think Sissy Spacek did a wonderful job in it. If there was anything I didn't care for in this movie (other then a little too much music for my taste) it is some of the split screens they used during the prom. It kinda took you out of the story and reminds you that it is just a movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:36:01 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
I admit it was a little strange to see Agnes Moorehead in something other then Bewitched... but she did a good job. Thought she was very believable in the role.
Pete she was a real actress before playing a goofy character on tv. Her movie career had started in 1941 with Citizen Kane...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
One of these days I need to see that movie.  :P

I am sure she was... I am just still right new to the classics yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »

Title: Superman Batman: Public Enemies
Year: 2009
Director: Sam Liu
Rating: PG-13
Length: 67 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor
Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne / Batman
Tim Daly as Superman
Xander Berkeley as Captain Atom
Corey Burton as Captain Marvel

Star(s) of TV Series: Other then the obvious (Stars of Superman and Batman the Animated Series)...
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Xander Berkley
Captain Atom
1-2
George Mason
Allison Mack
Power Girl
Smallville
All
Chloe Sullivan
CCH Pounder
Amanda Waller
ER
Millennium
1-4
1-2
Dr Angela Hicks
Cheryl Andrews
LeVar Burton
Black Lightning
Star Trek: The Next Generation
All
Geordi

Plot:
A desperate solution for a troubled country: Lex Luthor for president with the Justice League in the service of the government. Only Batman and Superman stand against the new regime - and their disloyalty proves to be exactly what Luthor intended. Using their outcast status to instigate a scandal against Superman, Luthor finally tastes a victory in his vendetta against the Man of Steel. From Executive Producer Bruce Timm and voiced by the cast from both hit Batman and Superman animated TV series including Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown, this DC Universe Original Animated Movie based on Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness's popular graphic novel seethes with Political intrigue and action-packed battles between heroes all believing they're on the right side of the law.

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews
2 Bonus Cartoons, Digital Copy.

My Thoughts:
This one was a blind buy. Before watching it I never even seen a trailer for it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how they had so many heroes and villains from the DC Universe. Some of which I was familiar with... some I was not. I was a little concerned when I read the storyline and seen they made Lex Luthor president. But I found the story to be very entertaining. I am not sure if this one is based on a series of the comic books or not as I don't read comics... so I can't say how or if it compares. But if you like some of the other superhero animated movies out there... I would recommend this one as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
Going back to Agnes Moorehead, she was also in a notoriously bad film, The Conqueror in which John Wayne played Genghis Kahn!  She played the mother of Kahn in that movie...despite the fact she was only about 8 years older than Duke at the time  :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
 :laugh: That sounds interesting!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »

Title: Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt
Year: 2004
Director: Paul A. Kaufman
Length: 90 Min.
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Adam West as Himself
Burt Ward as Himself
Jack Brewer as Adam West/Batman
Jason Marsden as Burt Ward/Robin
Lyle Waggoner as Narrator/Himself

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Lyle Waggoner
Narrator/Himself
Wonder Woman
All
Steve Trevor
Amy Acker
Kathy Kersh
Angel
3-5
Fred

Plot:
When the original Batmobile is stolen, there's no time to call the police. This is a job for actors!
Thirty-five years after BATMAN went off the air, a fiendish criminal mastermind is forcing Adam West and Burt Ward to relive their legendary pasts as The Caped Crusader and The Boy Wonder. What went on when the costumes came off? The Dynamic Duo reveal the entire bizarre-but-true story through classic clips, surprise guest stars and THWAK!-filled flashbacks to the on-and-off camera controversies, scandals and ego battles behind one of the most wildly popular series in TV history!

Still-diabolical Bat-Villians Julie Newmar, Frank Gorshin and Lee Meriwether co-star along with Betty White, Curtis Armstrong and Lyle Waggoner in this reunion movie like no other, from the creators of SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND!

Extras:
Scene Access
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
Britt and I decided to watch this one again next. One thing I liked was that Adam West and Burt Ward had no problem and felt like they even enjoyed making fun of themselves. It was also good seeing some of the old cast members again. As for all the flashbacks during the making of the series? I enjoyed it... thought everyone did fine with it. In some ways I enjoyed the flashbacks more then the silliness of the storyline with the actors trying to find the batmobile. Over all it is a silly... but entertaining movie. Especially if you grew up watching the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
I already have a review up for Return to the Batcave... no need to add this one Jimmy.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »

Title: Devour
Director: David Winkler
Rating: R
Length: 90 Min.
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Jensen Ackles as Jake Gray
Shannyn Sossamon as Marisol
Dominique Swain as Dakota
Bill Sadler as Ivan Reisz
Teach Grant as Conrad

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Jensen Ackles
Jake Gray
Dark Angel
Smallville
Supernatural
All
Alec
Jason Teague
Dean Winchester
Shannyn Sossamon
Marisol
Mooonlight
Caroline
Bill Sadler
Ivan Reisz
Roswell
All
Jim Valenti
Martin Cummins
Aiden Kater
Dark Angel
Poltergeist: The Legacy
All
Ames White
Nick Boyle
Rob Stewart
Ross North
Painkiller Jane
Andre McBride

Plot:
For months, Jake Gray (Jensen Ackles, TV's "Smallville") has been haunted by disturbing premonitions of murder and self-mutilation he can't explain - that is, until two high school friends Dakota (Dominique Swain, Lolita) and Conrad, introduce him to a mysterious online computer game called The Pathway. Suddenly, Jack's violent visions are brought to life as the game begins transforming his terrifying daydreams into gruesome reality. Hoping to escape his waking nightmare, Jake turns to Marisol (Shannyn Sossamon, A Knight's Tale), a seductive new friend who dabbles in the mystic occult. Instead, the two find themselves confronting even greater horrors, including the terrifying secrets of Jack's dark family past, in this chilling psychological thriller.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I never seen before. Matter of fact I never even heard of it before I spotted it on the $3 rack at Big Lots. So I really wasn't sure what to expect going into this one. Just knew that the overview for the movie sounded interesting. Unfortunately I did get interrupted more then once during the movie... which I hate as it interrupts the flow of the movie. But it has a good story with some decent kills. I definitely enjoyed it. Though it is not the best horror movie I ever seen... I would say it is above average. I would say it is definitely worth taking a look at.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »

Title: The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Director: Scott Derrickson
Length: 122 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Laura Linney as Erin Bruner
Tom Wilkinson as Father Moore
Campbell Scott as Ethan Thomas
Jennifer Carpenter as Emily Rose
Colm Feore as Karl Gunderson

Star(s) of TV Series:
Star:
Movie Character:
TV Series:
Season(s):
Series Character:
Jennifer Carpenter
Emily Rose
Dexter
All
Debra Morgan

Plot:
Oscar® nominees Laura Linney (2000, Best Actress, You Can Count on Me) and Tom Wilkinson (2001, Best Actor, In The Bedroom) delve into the supernatural in this thriller based on a true story that will test your resolve, and ultimately your faith.

Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter, White Chicks) was an average teenage girl who was the target of terrifying demonic forces that would ultimately shock a town and torment her soul. But was she, as many believed, possessed? In an attempt to clear the clergyman who exorcised Emily, a skeptical attorney (Linney) awakens to the discovery that powerful spiritual forces may actually exist. This harrowing film unfolds like a recurring nightmare from which there is no waking.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This makes only the second time I seen this movie since I got it. Going into it again today... the only thing I remember is that I enjoyed it the first time. It says this movie is based on true events. How true that is... or to what extent I don't know. But that always does seem to make a story a bit more interesting to me. Until today I didn't realize that the star of this movie, Jennifer Carpenter is the same actress that plays Dexter's sister Debra on Dexter. But as I said I haven't seen this movie since it was first released... and at that point Dexter wasn't on yet. But she did a great job in this movie. I really enjoyed the way this movie was done. I think it is a good mixture of horror and courtroom drama. It makes for an extra interesting storyline. In my opinion... this movie is well worth checking out if you haven't already.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
In my opinion... this movie is well worth checking out if you haven't already.
No thanks, see it one time and it bored me to death :whistle:
But I was able to watch it till the end ;D