Author Topic: Firefly Marathon  (Read 22954 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Firefly Marathon
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:10 PM »
13. Heart Of Gold
It is just so clichéd...

Yes, it is. Complete with a rendition of Amazing Grace. But it is Angie Heart who sings. And Melinda Clarke who plays. In my book, you can be as clichéd as you want and then some if you are able to pull it of. So you get the simplest of episodes before the most complex one and both are excellent.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
13. Heart Of Gold
It is just so clichéd...

Yes, it is. Complete with a rendition of Amazing Grace. But it is Angie Heart who sings. And Melinda Clarke who plays. In my book, you can be as clichéd as you want and then some if you are able to pull it of. So you get the simplest of episodes before the most complex one and both are excellent.

My sentiments too. I'd like to add that one of Firefly's tricks was to play up to conventions. It took its Western roots to heart so much that the point of such clichés was to be explicit. The whorehouse is a common plot, but so was the train job and the multiple bar fights. Westerns continually reinvent themselves and it would have been dishonest to have ignored them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »
Karsten, can you put this thread into your Complete List of Series Marathon Reviews? Thanks!

Najemikon

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »
Karsten, can you put this thread into your Complete List of Series Marathon Reviews? Thanks!

Woohoo! I've never been on that list before.  :thumbup:

lyonsden5

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »
I finally finished watching Firefly last night. Watched the last 3 episodes. I hadn't realized just how much the last episode sets up for the movie  :bag: Can't wait to watch Serenity now. Maybe tonight.

Every episode had one thing in common. It reminded me that the show was never given a chance and was cancelled way too early. With so much crap on TV today you think it could have found a home somewhere. It's too bad SciFi sorry, "SyFy" didn't pick it up. It would have worked well on that station.

Great series. Great characters. Great writing. Most episodes get a 4 or 5 out of 5. There were a couple I fell assleep while watching so can't really give them a high mark  :laugh: