Author Topic: Firefly Marathon  (Read 22827 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Firefly Marathon
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:50 PM »
How and when did it happen, that Zoe goes from disliking Wash to loving him?

I prefer that to be left unexplained, especially as I think a lot of enduring relationships start like that...

I don't want to necessarily see the relationship begin. But I would have liked to see a moment from the past, where Zoe has a "maybe this guy isn't so bad after all"-moment.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
09. Ariel
Writer: Jose Molina (Writer)
Director: Allan Kroeker
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Blake Robbins (Agent McGinnis), Jeff Ricketts (Blue Glove Man #1), Dennis Cockrum (Blue Glove Man #2), Tom Virtue (Pompous Doctor), Roma Chugani (Receiving Doctor), Ira Steck (Young Intern), Michael Nagy (Particularly Dressed Man), Alex Connie (Patient), Cate Cohen (Crash Team Nurse)

The episode is okay. What I really like is the end where Mal has to deal with
(click to show/hide)

Rating:

Najemikon

Serenity: Better Days (Comic)
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
Serenity: Better Days (Comic)
4 out of 5 (if directly compared with the show)

This is the second collected volume of the Dark Horse mini-series. Not sure if there are any more, but I do think this is an improvement on Those Left Behind in several ways.

For one, it's from the series time-line, somewhere in the middle, and is just like a regular episode that doesn't concern itself with trying to progress any of the characters (apart from a couple of brief but effective moments) and therefore isn't compromised. It's just a lot of witty, action-packed fun. Second, the artwork is lighter and so more dynamic (both by artist Will Conrad, though).

The story, again by Whedon and Brett Matthews, is great. It's about the crew pulling off a heist that actually nets them a fortune. Millions in fact. They can do whatever they want with it. There's an hilarious sequence where each relate their fantasy life; River's is my favourite (absolutely nuts!), but Kaylee has the funniest...
(click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Inara entertains an Alliance officer, who is hunting "Dust Devils" (Independence soldiers that have continued their war as terrorists) and believes Mal to be one (there's a nice twist there actually and the reasoning is excellent). He gets captured and Zoe mounts a rescue, just like War Stories. If that's a bit repetitive, the action sequence immediately after isn't and again has a nice twist in it.

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to spend a little more time with these brilliant characters. For those who don't or can't wait, here is the picture of River's fantasy life...  :D

(click to show/hide)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Serenity: Those Left Behind (Comic)
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
Serenity: Those Left Behind (Comic)
More details of the plot are on Wikipedia...
Then we follow the two Blue Hand guys from Ariel, still on River and Simon's trail...

Reading the Wikipedia entry, I find it rather disappointing. The Blue Hand guys were absolutely creepy on the show, but they are onetwo of those characters that will only loose if you build too much actual plot around them.

Also, what I could see of the art work of both comics doesn't appeal to me. The show did a very fine balancing act with production design, costumes and the color palette. The movie already strayed away from the original visual flair and worked less for me for that reason. With the comics it seems to be even worse. Yes I know, different medium and all, but still...

I guess, I'm just not a comic book guy. I contemplated several times to give the Buffy S8 comics a try, because I found some of the spoilers intriguing. But whenever I looked at an actual page from those comics, I thought, no, rather not.
Matthias

Najemikon

Re: Serenity: Those Left Behind (Comic)
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
Serenity: Those Left Behind (Comic)
More details of the plot are on Wikipedia...
Then we follow the two Blue Hand guys from Ariel, still on River and Simon's trail...

Reading the Wikipedia entry, I find it rather disappointing. The Blue Hand guys were absolutely creepy on the show, but they are onetwo of those characters that will only loose if you build too much actual plot around them.

Also, what I could see of the art work of both comics doesn't appeal to me. The show did a very fine balancing act with production design, costumes and the color palette. The movie already strayed away from the original visual flair and worked less for me for that reason. With the comics it seems to be even worse. Yes I know, different medium and all, but still...

I guess, I'm just not a comic book guy. I contemplated several times to give the Buffy S8 comics a try, because I found some of the spoilers intriguing. But whenever I looked at an actual page from those comics, I thought, no, rather not.

That ties in neatly with my own complaints about the first book. The art is too stilted (which flattens the "personality" the series had with its sets) and the two assassins are a good example of where the story suffered because of it. And while it does set-up the film, their characters feel squandered. Neither story is very long, which only works for the second one which is much more fun, but still would have benefited from a different art approach. Still, if you don't like comics, you aren't going to be converted.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
I recently bought the two comics. I have read the first one so far, but though it was nicely drawn and it sets up a few things for the film, it just didn't have the charm of the TV series. The humor was missing. Reading your comments I am hopeful that the second book will be more fun.

Also I was often tempted to get into the Buffy comics. But the problem is, that there are so many already. I am using the Serenity comics to test the waters with Joss Whedon's comic adaptions of one of his series. If I would have loved it, I would have run out and gotten the Buffy comics on the spot. But going by what I have seen so far, I am not so keen on it yet.

Najemikon

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
Joss Whedon has had a lot of success as a comics writer in general, but I'm not familiar with his regular work, or how his TV extensions are perceived against it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »
10. War Stories
Writer: Cheryl Cain (Writer)
Director: James Contner
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Michael Fairman (Adelai Niska), Katherine Kendall (Councillor), Rolando Molina (Bolles), John Dunn (Torturer), Michael A. Bentt (Viktor), Adam Pilver (Vanilla Husband), Johnny Shakespeare (Torture Victim), Jason Van (Man)

A great episode. It's fun how the crew react when Inara brings a female client on board (Jayne: "I'll be in my bunk" :laugh:)
I have no problems with the sudden appearence of Wash's jealousy. I thought it was fitting. And for the first time we see River in action, which is a great scene.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:03 AM »
I have no problems with the sudden appearence of Wash's jealousy. I thought it was fitting.

My only problem with it was it seem contrived for that episode. I'd have preferred that scene perhaps in the previous one, so that his desire to got with Mal had already been setup. But that's me being very picky to be fair! ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
11. Trash
Writer: Ben Edlund (Writer), Jose Molina (Writer)
Director: Vern Gillum
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Christina Hendricks (Saffron/Bridget/Yolanda), Franc Ross (Monty Reynolds), Dwier Brown (Durran Haymer), John Eric Bentley (Police Sergeant)

The story itself is nothing special, but enjoyable. The best parts are when Simon and River are confronting Jayne about Ariel and when Mal acts like it was part of the plan that he lost his clothes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
12. The Message
Writer: Joss Whedon (Writer), Tim Minear (Writer)
Director: Tim Minear
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Jonathan M. Woodward (Tracey), Richard Burgi (Lieutenant Womack), Al Pugliese (Amnon), Tod Nakamura (Fendris), Craig Vincent (Skunk), Morgan Rusler (Barker), Joss Whedon (Man at Funeral (uncredited))

A good episode, but not one of my favorites. Best part is how Jayne is proudly wearing the funny hat his mother made for him. This nicely showed the softer side of him.

Rating:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
12. The Message
Best part is how Jayne is proudly wearing the funny hat his mother made for him.

Not to forget River: "My food is problematic." and "You're such a boob."
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
12. The Message
Best part is how Jayne is proudly wearing the funny hat his mother made for him.

Not to forget River: "My food is problematic." and "You're such a boob."

:laugh: I love that line!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »
13. Heart Of Gold
Writer: Brett Matthews (Writer)
Director: Thomas J. Wright
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Melinda Clarke (Nandi), Kimberly McCullough (Chari), Fredric Lane (Ranse Burgess), Tracy Leah Ryan (Petaline), Heather Black (Helen), Angie Hart (Lucy), Doan Ly (Emma), Sandy Mulvihill (Belinda), Jim Lau (Narrator)

I don't like the storyline itself. It is just so clichéd: A whorehouse is terrorized and the good guys come in and safe them.
But there are some great character scenes which save the episode. Like when Inara breaks down after she learned that Mal spent the night with her friend.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
14. Objects in Space
Writer: Joss Whedon (Writer)
Director: Joss Whedon
Cast: Nathan Fillion (Mal), Gina Torres (Zoe), Alan Tudyk (Wash), Morena Baccarin (Inara), Adam Baldwin (Jayne), Jewel Staite (Kaylee), Sean Maher (Simon), Summer Glau (River), Ron Glass (Shepherd Book), Richard Brooks (Jubal Early)

A great final episode. Finally River really gets to shine. It's sad that the series did not continue.

Rating: