Author Topic: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews  (Read 272211 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's DVD/Blu-ray Reviews
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
So yet another Shah Rukh Khan movie for you  :laugh:

Yes looks like it.

I am a little envious that you get all these on Blu. For me it is too late as I have already all of the important Bollywood movies on DVD and I don't want to double-dip. There is one Blu double-dip I have my eyes on though ("Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham"), because the DVD suffers greatly from the 3.5 hours length. More so than most of the others.

I do prefer to buy Blu if I can at the moment but will drop down to DVD if no Blu is listed and I really do want the title in question. What does annoy a liitle is when I look and can't find a listing for the Blu but once I get the DVD then a Blu becomes listed. This happened with Chak De! India although most of the marketplace traders currently have it marked as unavailable even though it is listed  :hmmmm:

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
Veer-Zaara

Year: 2004
Director: Yash Chopra
Cast: Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukherji, Preity Zinta
Overview: Squadron Leader Veer Pratap Singh (Shahrukh Khan) is a rescue pilot with the Indian Air Force, who risks his own life to save the lives of others. One day, on duty, he comes across a stranded Zaara (Preity Zinta) ... a girl from Pakistan. Zaara, a carefree, sprightly girl has come to India to fulfill her surrogate mother's dying wish. She meets with a bus accident leaving her stranded in a foreign land.

Veer saves her life... and his life is never the same again...

Twenty-two years later, Saamiya Siddiqui (Rani Mukerji), a Pakistani lawyer on her first case, finds herself face-to-face with an ageing Veer Pratap Singh. He has languished in a Pakistan jail cell for 22 years and has not spoken to anyone all these years - and no one knows why. Her mission is to discover the truth about Veer and see to it that justice is served. And thus starts her journey to unveil the truth...

Veer-Zaara is not an ordinary story - it is a Love Legend... Veer and Zaara's love legend. This is a saga of love, separation, courage and sacrifice. A love that is divine, a love that is whole-hearted, a love that is completely consuming, a love that grows with separation, deepens with sacrifice.

A love that is an inspiration... and will remain a legend forever.

Watched: 31st. Oct 2010
My Thoughts: As per the overview a love story. A very weepy love story. At its heart an ordinary 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy meets girl again' love story but with some different twists and turns which makes this no ordinary love story. Totally captivating and wonderful.

My Rating: A wonderful 5

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
Phew!
I am really glad you enjoyed. I wasn't so sure with this one, because not everyone likes sappy love stories. Also this one had quite a few songs, which weren't even catchy in my opinion.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
Phew!
I am really glad you enjoyed. I wasn't so sure with this one, because not everyone likes sappy love stories. Also this one had quite a few songs, which weren't even catchy in my opinion.

No problemo. I checked your review afterwards and see that we were both captivated.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
North by Northwest

Year: 1959
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Cast: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason
Overview: Dazzling 50th Anniversary Restoration!

Cary Grant is the screen's supreme man-on-the-run in his fourth and final teaming with Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock. He plays a Manhattan adman plunged into a realm of spy (James Mason) and counterspy (Eva Marie Saint) and variously abducted, framed for murder, chased, and in a signature set-piece, crop-dusted. He also hangs for dear life from the facial features of Mount Rushmore's Presidents. Savour one of Hollywood's most enjoyable thrillers ever in this State-of-the-Art Restoration: its Renewed Picture Vitality will leave you just as breathless as the chase itself.

Watched: 6th. Nov. 2010
My Thoughts: OK I guess that Mr. Hitchcock is not to my style. Although I didn't have any high expectations I was still left underwhelmed by this film. I thought the actors came over well but overall the film did nothing for me.

My Rating: Yet another 2 for the master of suspense

Dave
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
Oh dear. There is no hope for you.  :weep:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
Wow, while I too, have a hard time with a lot of Hitchcock's films, this one has always been one of the exceptions. This is one of my favorites.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »

The same thing I say every time you post a Tarantino film review.  :tease: :hysterical:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

I've still got 13 other Hitchcock's in that Universal box set to see. There may one I like in that.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2010, 08:36:14 AM »
 :o
Only 2 stars for North by Northwest??
I...I....I'm speechless.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
:o
Only 2 stars for North by Northwest??
I...I....I'm speechless.

Sorry about that Marie  :bag:

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »
Little Big Soldier

Year: 2010
Director: Ding Sheng
Cast: Jackie Chan, Leehom Wang, Steve Yoo
Overview: Join the undisputed King of Action Comedyfor a madcap action-packed journey across ancient China. In the aftermath of a great battle between rival kingdoms, only two men remain standing! One is a peasant soldier with a shameless ability for avoiding his responsibilities in battle (Jackie Chan); the other is a warrior prince, who has been wounded fighting for his country (Leehom Wang). Irresistibly tempted by the chance to collect a large reward, the peasant overpowers the disadvantaged prince and sets off to collect his bounty. When danger confronts them around every corner, the world's two most unlikely allies quickly realise they will need to join forces if they are to make it home in one piece! As each challenge takes them closer to victory, a prince will learn humility and a nobody will find the strength to be someone great.

Based on an original story created by Jackie Chan himself, Little Big Soldier is a irresistible, pulse-pounding deluge of side-splitting comedy, stunts and kinetic martial arts action that is guaranteed to enthrall and entertain from start to finish!

Watched: 11th. Nov 2010
My Thoughts: Very much still the usual Jackie Chan fare of martial arts action and comedy. On top of this though Mr. Chan is bringing a dramatic edge to the proceedings. I think the two parts did mix but it wasn't fully cohesive in places as if he had to rein in his action for the drama. There was the usual bloopers during the end credits.

My Rating: An overall enjoyable film 3

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
Seems like you enjoyed it more than I did ("Little Big Soldier").
And also don't feel bad about your rating for "North by Northwest". I gave it the same  :laugh:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
Seems like you enjoyed it more than I did ("Little Big Soldier").
And also don't feel bad about your rating for "North by Northwest". I gave it the same  :laugh:

Yep Tom, I look for for reviews after I have written mine and I saw that you were quite bored by it. And by the same margin I did see your review for NbNW and also that we weren't the only people not to fall under its spell, Rich also marked it low.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Najemikon

« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
Yeah, well, before you get too full of yourselves... :voodoo:

Rotten Tomatoes

Anyway...  :laugh: Little Big Soldier sounds pitched just where I thought. I'll look it up, thanks, Dave.  :thumbup: