Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires  (Read 13856 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Vampires
As most know... I am a huge horror movie fan... I have loved all types of horror movies every since I was a kid. And every since I was a little kid my favorite horror sub-genre has been Vampire Movies. I think what it is I like about Vampire movies is the fact that they normally look human. It is like... it is an evil from within. I think I also like how romanticized the vampire is... they make the hunt and the kill that vampires do almost sexual. Every female vampire is seemed to be made sexually attractive at the same time as being frightening. Then there is the fact that in most vampire movies once you become a victim of a vampire... you then become one yourself. I have many Vampire movies to choose from in my collection.

My Vampire Movie Collection:
  1. 30 Days of Night
   2. Abe's Tomb
   3. Abomination: The Evilmaker II
   4. Alucard
   5. Blade
   6. Blade II
   7. Blade: Trinity
   8. Blood Angels
   9. Blood Bound
  10. The Breed
  11. Brotherhood of Blood
  12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  13. Children of the Night
  14. Dark Light (some question to if this is really a vampire movie:? Jimmy?)
  15. Dracula (1931)
  16. Dracula (1931 - Spanish Version)
  17. Bram Stoker's Dracula
  18. Dracula 2000
  19. Dracula 3000
  20. Dracula III: Legacy
  21. Dracula's Curse
  22. Dracula's Daughter
  23. Dracula: Dead and Loving it
  24. Embrace of the Vampire
  25. Fist of the Vampire
  26. The Forsaken
  27. Fright Night
  28. From Dusk Till Dawn
  29. From Dusk Till Dawn II: Texas Blood Money
  30. From Dusk Till Dawn III: The Hangman's Daughter
  31. Frost: Portrait of a Vampire
  32. The Hamiltons
  33. Howling 6: The Freaks
  34. I Dream of Dracula
 35. Interview with a Vampire
  36. The Lost Boys
  37. Lost Boys: The Tribe
  38. Mrs. Amsworth
  39. Near Dark
  40. Nick Knight
  41. The Night Flier
  42. The Night Stalker
  43. Nosferatu: The First Vampire
  44. Once Bitten
  45. Planet Blood
  46. Queen of the Damned
  47. Salem's Lot (1979)
  48. Salem's Lot (2004)
  49. The Satanic Rites of Dracula
  50. Shadow Zone: The Undead Express
  51. Slayer
  52. This Darkness
  53. Twilight
  54. Underworld
  55. Underworld: Evolution
  56. Underwold: Rise of the Lycans
  57. Vamp
  58. Vampire Conspiracy
  59. Vampire in Brooklyn
  60. Vampire Whores from Outer Space
  61. A Vampire's Tale
  62. John Carpenter's Vampires
  63. Vampires: Los Muertos
  64. Vampires: Out for Blood
  65. Vampire Stakes
  66. Vulture's Eye
  67. Van Helsing
  68. Son of Dracula
  69. House of Dracula

The titles in the list above that are in BOLD are movies in my collection I have not watched yet. If there is any movies above you would like to see me review... feel free to ask here. No promises... but I will try to get to them before the weekend is over.

Another thing I am considering to do with this marathon... in between each movie I watch I can watch an episode of a TV Series about Vampires. Some Shows (or episodes of shows) I could watch...

1. Angel
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Charmed (1 episode)
4. Creepy Clips (Anthology Movie - 1 Segment)
5. Dead Teenagers (Anthology Movie - 1 Segment)
6. Dracula: The Series
7. Fear Itself (1 Episode)
8. Forever Knight
9. The Hunger (1 or 2 eps)
10. Kindred: The Embrace
11. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
12. Masters of Horror: The V Word
13. Moonlight
14. The Ray Bradbury Theater (1 ep?)
15. Supernatural (at least 3 eps)
16. Tales from the Crypt (at least 4 eps)
17. Vampire High (6 eps)
18. Vault of Horror (Anthology Movie - 1 Segment)

What you think?... Sound Good?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:04:49 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon - 2/05 - 2/07: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
No sugestion Pete but...

Howling 6 is about vampires... Looks like a director haven't understand what this franchise is about :whistle:
Of course I've only see the first three but they are werewolve movie (weresupials in the third one).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon - 2/05 - 2/07: Vampires
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
 :laugh: Part 6 is about both... it is basically a Werewolf vs. a Vampire.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
Well... I will be starting some vampire movies tomorrow... And I decided not to bother with the idea of watching vampire TV episodes between the movies. Not this time anyway.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

Title: Near Dark
Year: 1987
Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Rating: R
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Adrian Pasdar as Caleb
Jenny Wright as Mae
Lance Henriksen as Jesse
Bill Paxton as Severen
Jenette Goldstein as Diamondback

Plot:
In the dusty heart of the American southwest, innocent country boy Caleb Colton (Adrian Pasdar of MYSTERIOUS WAYS) is seduced by a beautiful girl (Jenny Wright) into joining a roving pack of vicious drifters led by the enigmatic Jesse (Lance Henriksen of THE TERMINATOR and ALIENS). But this is no ordinary band of outlaws; Caleb is now trapped in a nightmare of soulless evil that waits in the shadows, hellish mayhem that thrives on blood and absolute horror that begins NEAR DARK.

Bill Paxton (TWISTER) and Jenette Goldstein (ALIENS) co-star in this extraordinary shocker co-written and directed by Kathryn Bigelow (STRANGE DAYS) that Entertainment Weekly calls "ultrastylish, ultraviolent and altogether brilliant." This is more than simply the most ferociously original vampire movie of our generation; NEAR DARK is one of the best horror movies of all time.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
I thought I would start this marathon with one of my favorite vampire movies. This is a movie that has seemed to fly in under the radar for most people. I discovered it while I was working as a manager of the local video store.... and everyone I ever suggested it to never even heard of it. But yet of the MANY people that took a chance on this movie because of my recommendation... I don't remember ever hearing bad feedback. As far as I remember everyone enjoyed it!

One of the things I like about this movie is that even though while watching it there is no doubt in your mind this is a vampire movie... they never once use the word vampire in the movie... and you never once see a set of fangs.  Another thing I like in this movie is the awesome bar fight scene. I have seen a few bar fight scenes in horror movies... and this is one of the best. Then you have the added bonus that one of the stars of this movie is Lance Henrikson.... a great genre actor.

Needless to say I was thrilled when I first heard this movie was coming out on DVD. I pre-ordered the title as soon as I was able to. And even better was the fact that the release is a 2-disc edition with a nice selection of extras. If you never seen this under-rated movie... I urge you to give it a chance... I really don't think you will be sorry.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
Jimmy... this is another review that you can just replace the link in the list with the one for the review above. As this one has much more detail.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this won't be the case with most that I watch this weekend... so get yourself ready!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »

Title: The Night Flier
Year: 1997
Director: Mark Pavia
Rating: R
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Miguel Ferrer as Richard Dees
Julie Entwisle as Katherine Blair
Dan Monahan as Merton Morrison
Michael H. Moss as Dwight Renfield
John Bennes as Ezra Hannon

Plot:
From Stephen King, the master of horror on page and screen, comes a new tale of relentless terror. Of a modern-day vampire who flies by night, and lands too close to home ... for comfort.

For Richard Dees (Miguel Ferrer) facts are always stranger than fiction. Every headline is a dead-line. Serial Killers, UFO abductions, tales of molestation, mayhem and murder. To some the tales are unbelievable -- but his faithful readers believe. And now there´s a new story, The Night Flier. What is it that flies by night in a dark-winged Cessna, lands at secluded airports and brutally murders local residents? Dees begins to follow the unknown killer in a Cessna of his own, uncovering clues that reveal a pilot more terrifying that he could ever have imagined. A creature so untamed by human nature, that their final confrontation will leave no body unbloodied.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
Stephen King's take on a vampire story. Being a vampire movie alone  gives it a good chance I will enjoy it... and I definitely did. But it is definitely not the best vampire movie I ever seen. Like It did seem a bit weird... the idea of a vampire flying around in an airplane everywhere he goes. There was a couple things did I liked about this movie though... they way they made Dwight Renfield (the vampire) look... as well as the effect the vampire's blood had when he effected the Richard Dees with it. I really liked the use of Black and White in that scene. It really enhanced the spookiness of the scene. There is a couple small extras on this release... I would have liked to seen something more substantial though. This movie did have some decent bloody effects a well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Jimmy... Here above is another one you can just switch the links on. This review is much more detailed then the last one.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
And I wouldn't be surprised if this won't be the case with most that I watch this weekend... so get yourself ready!  :P
Stop watching the same movies and buy new one :tease:
More seriously the link is change for the 2 reviews and yes Near Dark is highly recommanded for anyone who don't have it already in his/her collection. But a little warning from me, don't buy the new Lionsgate released since the cover is really awfull (I would be embarassed to have this shit on my wallcase) and try to find the old Anchor Bay released (one or two disc).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
I wish I could... but afraid my buying days may be about over. I am going to struggle to afford pretty much any after this month. :(
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
You aren't the only one :weep:
Just look how I rarely post in the WhatYouGot thread... I've got only 3 dvd in january and for 2 of them I've used a 60$ gift from Michael Rasso of Seduction Cinema... February will not be better with only 2 purchases at Amazon Marketplace.

At this rate that will be my worst dvd year ever :thumbdown:

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »
While I'm not being forced to cut back, I decided that I should and that I was spending too much in relation to how fast I was watching them, so I started budgeting and got out of the "Must Have Now!" mentality. Still haven't seen Star Trek. Really, really want to, but that price needs to drop.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is have you considered trying to sell any? I'm not sure what Amazon marketplace is like for sellers, but I've had a fair amount of success with PlayTrade here in the UK and have been able to keep a stable healthy balance at Play to spend on new titles. One month last year, I spent my usual budget, but only in PlayFunds, so my bank balance stayed the same. :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
Jon I second Playtrade I often buy things for £2 -£3 a DVD which is always great! Ive even sold a few books on there so its a great site...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
Anyway, what I really wanted to say is have you considered trying to sell any?
If the question was directed at me, my answer is never. Why would I? I can have an urge to watch any of my movies any time and I would feel so sad if I want to watch The Wedding Through again (we never know maybe I will need something to help me sleep one day) and don't have it anymore because I gave it for 1$. I only trade the one I get an upgrade for or very rarely movie I don't care at all for (Meet the Feebles is a good exemple of this).

For me selling my film just sound insane and don't worth the trouble. Of course what is insane for me isn't necessary insane for everyone...

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
I just don't see the point of keeping something I know I won't watch again, even if in its own right it was very good. I don't get rid of stuff just for the sake of it. If it's only worth pennies, then no, it's still worth more to me. But for instance, I bought Entourage Series 1 & 2 for £9, and although I liked it, I considered the fact I still haven't had time to re-watch Buffy or catch up with 24. I recognised the chances of returning to Entourage were slim and when I put on sale, it fetched £15! No contest.

And since I went Blu, I've also considered not bothering to keep barebones DVD releases. I put one of my favourite comedies on the other week: Midnight Run. Non-anamorphic and looked like it was a VHS transfer. Sold it for a couple of quid, because it was unwatchable and if they ever re-release it, at least I got rid of mine while it still had some value.