Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes  (Read 19717 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Anything Goes
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »

Title: Revenge of the Rats
Year: 2003
Director: Jorg Luhdorff
Rating: PG-13 : Scenes of Peril
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Ralph Herforth
Anne Cathrin Buhtz
Frank Röth
Karen Neuhäuser
Helmut Lorin

Plot:
As the city faces the worst heat wave in 150 years, the municipal workers go on strike and the garbage begins to pile up. As it slowly leaks into the street, rats begin to crawl out from under the concrete and the shadows, searching for food. But this is a new, faster breed of rodent, and soon, they are everywhere - creeping out of toilets, into beds and over tables. And if the infestation of fat gray masses isn't terrifying enough, it's soon discovered that the rats are carring a horrible virus, which makes then almost impossible to exterminate - and deadly to humans.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I got very cheap on sale ($3.19) back in October when I was buying movies for my October Marathon. I never got around to this one at that time. Luckily I didn't pay too much for this one... as I really didn't care too much for this one. It just didn't keep my attention very much. I don't know that it is... but it felt like I was watching a TV Movie. While there was a couple good scenes in it... this movie is so slow that I really struggled to keep my attention on the movie. But it really wasn't meant to be. About an hour into the movie I was so bored I had to turn it off. For those couple good scenes I will give this movie 1 star... but I can't bring myself to do any better then that as it was just too boring.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

Title: Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Year: 2006
Director: Curt Geda
Rating: NR
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: N/A (Note: There were 2 releases of this DVD. One with one without Subtitles... I got one without)

Stars:
Tim Daly
Powers Boothe
Dana Delany
Lance Henriksen
George Dzundza

Plot:
Embittered by Superman's heroic successes and soaring popularity, Lex Luthor forms a dangerous alliance with the powerful computer/villain Brainiac. Using advanced weaponry and a special strain of Kryptonite harvested from the far reaches of outer space, Luthor specifically redesigns Brainiac to defeat the Man of Steel. But when Brainiac betrays Luthor and reveals its sinister plans for world domination, Superman must brave the mysterious Phantom Zone to find the strength to survive this deadly showdown.

Fly with this all-new, feature-length spectacular and experience the action, adventure and excitement that only Superman can bring home!

Extras:
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a good animated movie... I enjoyed it just as much as the animated series it came from. I must say though... even though I did enjoy every minute of the movie... I did not care for the look they gave Brainiac After Lex helped him combine with the satellite. I liked the look of him in the beginning of the movie much more. I also liked how they did the Phantom Zone in this movie. Story makes this release well worth it... but unfortunately the dvd itself is lacking.not much for extras what so ever... just a handful of trailers.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »

Title: Race to Witch Mountain
Year: 2009
Director: Andy Fickman
Rating: PG
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Widescreen
Audio: English
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Dwayne Johnson
AnnaSophia Robb
Alexander Ludwig
Carla Gugino

Plot:
A Las Vegas cabbie enlists the help of a UFO expert to protect two siblings with paranormal powers from the clutches of an organization that wants to use the kids for their nefarious plans.

My Thoughts:
I watched this one on Starz On-Demand. I wanted to watch this movie with Brittany today... but she didn't want to as she said she already watched it and didn't care for it. While I agree that I have seen better... I did still like it. I enjoyed the story and liked the effects. And I felt the characters were likable as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:14 AM »
I liked Race to Witch Mountain too...I forgot to mention it when I posted before.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »

Title: Dead and Deader
Year: 2006
Director: Patrick Dinhut
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
John Billingsley
Dean Cain
Colleen Camp
Greg Collins
Ellie Cornell

Plot:
Dean Cain stars as Lt. Bobby Quinn, a Special Forces commando killed during a recon mission deep in the Cambodian jungle. But when Quinn interrupts his own stateside autopsy, he discovers that the rest of his dead squad has been resurrected with a ravenous appetite for human flesh. Now with the help of a wisecracking cook (Guy Torry of AMERICAN HISTORY X) and a sexy film geek (Susan Ward of WILD THINGS 2). the part-zombie Quinn must stop the plague before it can infect the entire nation. Who holds the shocking secret behind this blood-crazed carnage? And what happens when Quinn stops gnawing on a raw steak and starts chomping on the hot chick? Colleen Camp (WAYNE'S WORLD), Dean Haglund (THE X-FILES), Ellie Cornell (HALLOWEEN 4), Armin Shimerman (DEEP SPACE NINE, BUFFY), John Billingsley (ENTERPRISE, THE NINE) and Peter Greene (PULP FICTION) co-star in this splatter-riffic action comedy from the producers of FREE ENTERPRISE, THE SPECIALS and HOUSE OF THE DEAD.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I just recently got for $5. From what I was able to find out is that it is a Sci-Fi Original Movie. So that right there tells me this Zom-edy (as the back of the case calls it) could be pretty cheesy. So I went into this one with pretty low expectations. And maybe that helped because I actually enjoyed this one. I enjoyed it more then I probably should have. The majority of it's comedy was making cracks at other movies and TV shows. Some of it being pretty stupid... but I found myself laughing anyway. Being a zombie movie there was of course plenty of blood and gore. Some of which looked pretty cool... but there was also some that looked pretty cheesy.  Bottom line is I had a lot of fun watching this movie... even though as a movie lover I knew I shouldn't. So I guess I will have to chalk this one up as a guilty pleasure.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »

Title: Trilogy of Terror: Special Edition
Year: 1975
Director: Dan Curtis
Length: 72 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Karen Black
Robert Burton
John Karlen
George Gaynes
James Storm

Plot:
Legendary producer/director Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows, The Night Stalker) teams up with writers Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Twilight Zone) and William F. Nolan (Logan's Run, Burnt Offerings) to present three tales of horrific suspense in this made-for-television anthology that also showcases the tremendous acting talent of Karen Black (House of 1,000 Corpses, Easy Rider), who plays four distinct roles. In "Julie," an aggressive college student seduces and ultimately blackmails his seemingly shy English professor. In "Millicent and Therese," two polar-opposite sisters become increasingly hell-bent on the undoing of one another. And in "Amelia," a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni fetish doll.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie from back in the '70s.  Remembering back to when I was a manager of our local video store... this movie was in great demand. Unfortunately at the time I never got to see it myself as the store's copy disappeared and none of our distributors at the time could locate a new copy for us (this is back in the VHS days). So the first time I got to see this movie was when I first got it on DVD back in 2007. And I must say I enjoyed it very much!

The first story,Julie, Karen Black plays a College Professor who gets seduced and blackmailed (as the cover says).I liked how the student didn't have as much control over things as he thought he did. An enjoyable segment... but not my favorite.

The next story is Millicent and Therese where we have some sibling rivalry.  This one, while I still enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the first one. So this one has to be my least favorite segment of the movie.

The final story, Amelia, a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni Fetish Doll. This is my favorite segment of the entire movie. It was very well done... especially for the time. And I just couldn't help but to get a kick out of that Zuni Fetish Doll. And as much as I liked that little guy... I must say the final scene is really what clinched this segment for me.

The DVD itself While good I am a little disappointed. The audio and video is just fine on my 20in standard TV. But I have a bit of a hard time with them calling this a special edition. All there is... is 2 featurettes and a commentary track. That seems to me a little slim to be calling it a special edition. But with that all said... I really enjoyed watching this movie again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »

Title: Hulk Vs. Wolverine
Year: 2008
Director:
Rating: PG-13
Length: 37 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Fred Tatasciore
Steve Blum
Bryce Johnson
Janyse Jaud
Mark Acheson

Plot:
Alberta, Canada. The Incredible Hulk has been tearing a line across the Canadian wilderness, leaving a swathe of destruction in his wake. He has to be stopped, and there's only one man up to the job. He's the best at what he does, but what he does isn't very nice. He's Wolverine, an elite agent of Canada's top secret Department H, and he's been put on Hulk's trail with a single objective: stop the green goliath...at all costs. Hulk and Wolverine are about to enter the fiercest battle of their lives.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brittany and I decided to watch this one today. She said you can expect a review from her later. The one thing about this movie going into it that had me nervous at all is the short length. This movie runs a total of 37 minutes. But I guess that is why they gave us 2 animated Hulk movies in one release. I really enjoyed this movie. (and I do feel weird calling such a short story a movie) It was wonderfully animated... and interesting story. It even had it's share of blood and violence. Be sure to stick around after the credits for one final scene!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
An obvious joke, but hey... :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Title: Watchmen
Year: 2009
Director: Zack Snyder
Length: 165 Min.
Video: Pan and Scan
Audio: English

Stars:
Malin Akerman
Billy Crudup
Matthew Goode
Jackie Earle Haley
Patrick Wilson

Plot:
n an alternate 1985 where former superheroes exist, the murder of a colleague sends active vigilante Rorschach into his own sprawling investigation, uncovering something that could completely change the course of history as we know it.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I wanted to check out on HBO On-Demand. I found it to be an interesting movie... but not really the style of a superhero movie that I particularly enjoy. The alternate1985 made it seem a little on the weird side. And I personally prefer the previous style for a superhero movie. But that being said... I don't consider this a bad movie. As I said... it is interesting. And I can see myself watching it again... but not often. I would probably add this movie to my collection if I could find it cheap (well under $10) enough.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
I still haven't seen this, but that's probably because I just can't comprehend how it can work. Every review I see is either from someone who doesn't know the graphic novel, like Pete I assume, and they find it average, or from those who do know the story and still find the film average. A handful from the latter category seem to love it, but I smell fanboy enthusiasm!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
You are right... I never seen the graphic novel
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
Help guys... I am in trouble!

I told Brittany that today she could pick a movie for us to watch together... and what is she considering to pick? Hannah Montana: The Movie... as it is on Starz: On-Demand.  :suicide:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Help guys... I am in trouble!

I told Brittany that today she could pick a movie for us to watch together... and what is she considering to pick? Hannah Montana: The Movie... as it is on Starz: On-Demand.  :suicide:

:hysterical:

Ahhh...but that means YOU get to pick the next movie...I hear clowns knocking!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
ohhhh... I didn't think of that!  :laugh:
Pete