Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Multi-Themes  (Read 25734 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Multi-Themes
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I remember that Captain America show. Think it was either a short lived series or a TV Movie. Captain America's shield doubled for a windshield on his motorcycle. I am sure it was pretty bad... but I would like to see it again! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »

Title: Hulk Vs. Thor
Year: 2008
Director:
Rating: PG-13
Length: 45 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Fred Tatasciore
Mattie Wolf
Graham McTavish
Grey DeLisle
Kari Wahlgren

Plot:
Asgard, realm of the gods. For ages, Loki the trickster has sought a way to bring defeat to his accursed stepbrother, Thor. But for all the battles Thor has fought, in all the nine realms, only one creature has ever been able to match his strength - a mortal beast of Midgard known as The Incredible Hulk. Now, with Odin the almighty king of the gods deep in a regenerative sleep, and the forces protecting Asgard at their weakest, Loki is finally ready to spring his trap. In an epic battle that will pit gods against monsters, that will test a hero's limits more than ever before, only The Mighty Thor can hope to prevail.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This short movie is at least a little longer then Hulk vs. Wolverine (the other animated movie in this set)... clocking in at 45 minutes. Even though I have always liked the character of Thor... I have liked the character of Wolverine more. Which may be part of the reason I enjoyed the Wolverine one more then this one. I mean... this one is still good... but not quite as good. It has a decent story... but there was parts of the storyline that I didn't care for. Over-all was worth the time put into it. And I can see myself watching this (both of them) again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »
I recall Captain America was a TV movie...there may have been a second TV movie as a sequel.  Reb Brown played him and I think Heather Menzies (a beautiful actress I mainly recall as Robert Urich's wife and who also was in the Logan's Run TV series) was in that, too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
Next...
Animated Superheroes Triple Feature
After watching the animated Hulk movie yesterday and catching a clip of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker on cable last night I decided I am in the mood for some Animated Superhero movies. These animated movies are normally shorter then normal movies... so I decided to go with a triple feature instead of a double feature. So the next 3 movies I will watch are...

1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
2. Superman: Doomsday
3. The Ultimate Avengers
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Title: Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Year: 2000
Director: Curt Geda
Rating: NR
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Will Friedle
Kevin Conroy
Mark Hamill
Angie Harmon
Dean Stockwell

Plot:
The sleeker, deadlier and seemingly immortal Clown Prince of Crime is back with his own unique brand of havoc and mayhem. While trying to uncover the Joker's secrets, the new Batman, Terry McGinnis, discovers the greatest mystery in the life of the original Caped Crusader: what happened the night he fought the Joker for the last time. When Bruce Wayne is almost killed in one of the Joker's latest attacks, Batman vows to avenge his mentor and put the Joker to rest forever.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Music Videos
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Animation Tests

My Thoughts:
I personally like what they did for a futuristic Batman. I really enjoy the series they made this movie from... and they did a good job on the movie itself. I like how this movie combined the original Batman with the new Batman through flashbacks. I thought how they explained the Return of the Joker was a good and entertaining way to do it. Before watching this movie (for the 3rd time now) I didn't realize that Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina the Teenage Witch) lent her voice to this movie. She did the voices for the twin girls in the Jokerz gang (Dee Dee) that dress similar to and act to remind you of Harley Quinn. Not only is this a good movie... with a good quality DVD... this release comes with a nice selection of extras.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »

Title: Superman: Doomsday
Year: 2007
Director: Bruce W. Timm [Bruce Timm], Lauren Montgomery, Brandon Vietti
Length: 78 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Adam Baldwin
Anne Heche
James Marsters
John DiMaggio
Tom Kenny

Plot:
When Lexcorp accidentally unearths the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday, Superman battles the creature head-on in the fight of his life...literally. The world collectively mourns its fallen hero; humanity realizes it will never feel truly safe again. Superman's enemies rejoice - all but Lex Luthor, who grieves the loss in his own demented manner, setting off a chilling chain of events that even he couldn't have foreseen.

Inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics' The Death of Superman, this feature-length animated adventure boasts exciting action sequences that rival anything you've ever seen starring the Man of Steel.™

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Interactive Games
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I am a fan of Superman: The Animated Series... and when I first ordered this I was under the impression this movie was off that series... but I was mistaken there. This is just an animated movie... separate from the series. That is not a bad thing... I enjoyed the movie... even as short as it was. I know a lot of fans of the comic books didn't like it because it left so much out and just didn't compare to the comics. There is where I am lucky... as I never read the comics version of this story.  Another thing I heard mentioned was on the talent used... I heard people not satisfied with Anne Heche doing the voice for Lois Lane. Now that I do agree with... her voice... and her attitude just didn't feel right for the character... and felt like it really took away from both the character and over all the movie for me. On the other hand... they had James Marsters (Spike on Buffy) voicing Lex Luthor... which at first felt weird... but it quickly grew on me and just felt right. Adam Baldwin (Jayne on Firefly) voiced Superman/Clark Kent... I never had a problem with that one... it felt right from the start. Over-All I really enjoyed the movie. I just wish it was longer then the very short 78 minutes.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list. But since it is an updated version with new info you can replace the old one with this one if you like.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Done ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
Damn... You're fast today Jimmy! Thanks :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
Just happen to be here to update my movie watch list and I always read the new post before doing it ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
The question will be how to handle the next movie? After checking I see I already have 2 reviews up for it (Ultimate Avengers: The Movie)... but this one will be more detailed. Should we..

- Just add this one making it 3? :P
- Change one link to the new one and delete the extra one? (this seems to make sense to me)
- Change 1 leave one of the others?

I will leave that totally up to you once I post the new review. :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »
Obviously, there was way atoo much stuff going on in the original comic book epic story to include everything.  I think that story was told over something like like 800 pages.  I should get that someday.  In fact, there's a number of animated DC movies I should get I don't have...Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, maybe a Teen Titans one...there might be a Batman one (but not Batman Beyond, I just don't like the concept of some geeky teenager playing Batman).  Did I miss any?  Maybe.  I think there's a Justice League one coming next.

Speaking of animated super-heroes, I caught two episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold yesterday...that's the animated series where Batman teams up with different heroes.  One had the spotlight on Aquaman and that episode was downright hilarious.  I'm going to start watching that show regularly.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »

Title: Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
Year: 2006
Director: Bob Richardson
Length: 71 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Trivia

Stars:
Justin Gross
Grey DeLisle
Michael Massee
Marc Worden
Olivia D'Abo

Plot:
A world in crisis. Age-old enemies on the verge of attack. A mighty team is recruited, and Earth's ultimate hero is sought to lead them — Captain America. Unfortunately, he's been frozen in ice for over sixty years.

Inspired by Marvel's best-selling books, "The Ultimates," this is the extraordinary story of six very independent heroes who, like it or not, must fight as one to save the world. Little did they know that their biggest threat would emerge from within their very own ranks — The Incredible Hulk!

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I enjoy quite a bit. I have always liked Captain America, Iron Man and The Hulk. Thor is pretty cool too...  though he is barely in this movie. I did get a kick out of the line where after seeing Thor, Giant Man asks "Who's the chick with the hammer" and Iron Man adds... "I don't know... but glad she is on our side"  :laugh: Then we get a bit of a repeat of what I watched just yesterday... when we are treated to a battle between Thor and The Hulk. There is also plenty of fighting between The Hulk and the rest of the team as they try to slow him down. Though Thor seems to disappear about half way through that battle. You next see him for a moment at the end during their celebration. Thor must of went for a beer run!  :laugh:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
I will leave that totally up to you once I post the new review. :P
Why I am always the one who had to take those hard decisions :laugh:

Older one erase since it's the same content than the second one and this one added to the list. So I haven't followed your common sense :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »
 :laugh: Works for me!

Well... that made 14 movies watched this weekend. Think I will end this marathon and pick out a TV disc next. :)
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
Since you've done some animated super-hero reviews, it makes me wonder if there's a site out there somewhere that has a list of every animated super-hero DVD available?  Or maybe just all super-hero DVDs?  That would be interesting to see.  I don't think I have ever bought an animated Marvel super-hero DVD, though.  I do have some of the Marvel live-action movies...X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc.  And I don't have all the DC animated ones, though they are the ones I obviously favor.