Author Topic: Mario Bava marathon  (Read 59884 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Bava marathon
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 09:26:08 AM »
[...]and turning into what Last House on the Left could have been.[...]
:hmmmm: That is most certainly well observed (as I would expect from you). While the story is actually not quite that similar it is the style that would have served Last House on the Left very well :thumbup:

Maybe Bava had wanted those sequences in and simply ran out of money, so producer Alfredo Leone’s intentions shouldn’t be questioned, but I can’t help feeling the intended finished article wouldn’t have looked so much different to the Rabid Dogs we have now. Losing the opening credits and replacing footage to keep the running time the same is proof even Kidnapped was a compromised production.
The Anchor Bay release Jimmy and I have has a 16min featurette on the Making of both films. Lea Lander (big props to here, she is the one who bought the rights back and then eventually sold them to Alfredo Leone), Lamberto Bava (who filmed the additional scenes and edited the film) and Alfredo Leone (who bought the rights from Lander and released the film) are on hand to discuss the making of the film(s). At some point Leone (and maybe also Bava) points indeed out that he wanted to complete the film the way Mario Bava wanted it. However, if Rabid Dogs wold have gotten the inserts from Mario Bava as well then I am almost glad he couldn't finish it in 1974... The work print version is so much more powerful, despite only a few bits being different.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
The Anchor Bay release Jimmy and I have has a 16min featurette on the Making of both films.
He has the exact same dvd that we have in the set, it was released as a stand alone dvd one year (approximative) before the set was released. No need to say that many fans weren't happy of its inclusion in the set since most of them already had the stand alone dvd.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
I see.

I am very glad it was in the set; after all, it's my favorite :D

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »
OK, thanks to the random review generator, I'm resurrecting an old thread again, and wouldn't you know it, it's a horror thread too. :whistle:

Mario Bava is one director I've always been interested in discovering, but don't know where to start.

Any suggestions, and why?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:10 AM »
Well, Kidnapped seemed to be the best reviewed title in this thread, but clearly not horror.

From his horror films Black Sunday is not only the most famous but als the best reviewed here.