Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 30246 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Unwatched DVDs
This time around I will be working on my Unwatched DVD collection. This will include any movie I never watched on DVD. Even if I have seen the actual movie before... as long as I never seen it on DVD it is fair game. This weekend I am increasing my marathon by one day. I will be starting this weekend's marathon on Thursday and letting it run through-out Sunday. I am doing this for a couple reasons. For one I would like to put a decent dent into my unwatched DVD list and for another... I want to watch a chapter of a movie serial in between each movie. And what with there being 12 or so chapters in a serial I need to be able to watch as many movies in the time. But I have only been average about 6 movies each weekend here lately. So need an extra day to try and watch enough.

The serial I plan to watch is...

The New Adventures of Tarzan
Tarzan meets Indiana Jones! A Mysterious ancient idol called The Green Goddess is being worshipped by the jungle-natives of a lost city deep in Guatemala. Not only is it covered in rubies and jewels, it contains in it an old recipe for a gunpowder-like explosive. Major Martling (Frank Baker) and Ula Vale (Ula Holt) come from Africa to search out the Green Goddess. A mercenary named P. B. Raglan (Ashton Dearholt, who was also a producer of this film) is sent by Ula's lawyer to find the statue first. The major and Ula meet up with Tarzan, who is on a mission to find his old pal, d'Arnot, whose plane crashed near the lost city. The group must nowsave d'Arnot and grab The Green Goddess before Raglan shares all it's secrets!
Chapters:
1. The New Adventures of Tarzan
2. Crossed Trails
3. The Devil's Noose
4. River Perils
5. Unseen Hands
6. Fatal Fangs
7. Flaming Waters
8. Angry Gods
9. Doom's Brink
10. Secret Signals
11. Death's Fireworks
12. Operator No. 17

A 12 chapter serial means I need to fit in 13 movies over this special 4-day weekend. Here is a list of the movies I have on DVD I haven't watched yet. As always... if there is a title in the below list you would like to see me review... just ask. I won't promise to get to it... but I will do my best.

1. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
   2. Abomination: Evilmaker 2
   3. The Adventures of Tartu
   4. Aerial Gunner
   5. Altered States
   6. An Angel for Christmas
   7. Apocalypse Rising
   8. Assassins of Youth
   9. The Bat
  10. Battle of Blood Island
  11. Battleship Potemkin
  12. Best of the Best
  13. The Big Lift
  14. Big Top Pee Wee
  15. Black Brigade
  16. Black Hawk Down
  17. Black Ribbon
  18. Blood Alley
  19. Blood on the Sun
  20. Blood Reaper
  21. Blood Stained Bride
  22. Brainiac
  23. Branded
  24. British Intelligence
  25. Casualties of War
  26. Chain Reaction
  27. Chocolat
  28. Circus of Fear
  29. Commandos
  30. Convoy
  31. Crossroads
  32. Curse of Pirate Death
  33. Cyrano de Bergerac
  34. Dark Light
  35. Dark Places
  36. Darkman 2: Return of Durante
  37. Darkman 3: Die Drakman Die
  38. The Darkness
  39. The Dawn Express
  40. Dead and Deader (Shipped... if arrives in time)
  41. Deadly Drifter
  42. Derailed
  43. Desert Heat
  44. The Devil Bat
  45. Diabolique
  46. Die, Sister Die
  47. Double Team
  48. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
  49. Dr. Phibes Rides Again
  50. Drawing Blood
  51. Edgar Allen Poe's Darkness
  52. Embryo
  53. Farewell to Arms
  54. Fear of the Dark
  55. Feral
  56. The Fighting Seabees
  57. Fists of Fear, Touch of Death
  58. Fist of the Vampire
  59. Flesh Feast
  60. Flying Blind
  61. The Flying Leathernecks
  62. Foreigner
  63. Four in a Jeep
  64. Foxes
  65. From Beyond
  66. Full Frontal
  67. Full Metal Jacket
  68. God Told Me To
  69. Gone with the Wind
  70. The Gorilla
  71. The Great American Snuff Film
  72. The Green Berets
  73. Gung Ho
  74. Half Past Dead
  75. Hell's Threshold
  76. Home Made
  77. House by the Cemetery
  78. The House Where Evil Dwells
  79. Identity Unknown
  80. Immortal
 81. In Harms Way
  82. The Innocent
  83. Into Thy Hands
  84. Intolerance: Love's Struggle Through the Ages
  85. Jack the Ripper
  86. Jarhead
  87. Jaws: The Revenge
  88. Kennel Murder Case
  89. Kill Cruise
  90. Kill Syndrome
  91. Knight Chills
  92. Laser Mission
  93. Last Best Chance
  94. The Last Chance
  95. Left Behind 2
  96. Legacy of Blood
  97. Little Shop of Horrors
  98. The Longest Day
  99. Majestic
 100. Messiah of Evil
 101. Minesweeper
 102. Nabonga
 103. The Navy Way
 104. Nutcracker: An American Nightmare
 105. One Eyed Jack
 106. One of Our Aircraft is Missing
 107. Operation Pacific
 108. Pajama Game
 109. Pony Trouble
 110. Primal Fear
 111. Private Buckaroo
 112. Puppet Show
 113. Rage of the Master
 114. Reefer Madness
 115. Replicant
 116. Return of the Boogeyman
 117. Return of the Magnificent Seven
 118. Ricochet
 119. The River: Legend of La Llorona
 120. Road to Bali
 121. Road Warrior
 122. Sabbath
 123. Sands of Iwo Jima
 124. Screaming Ninja
 125. The Sea Chase
 126. Seven Doors of Death
 127. Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
 128. Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green
 129. The Shunned House
 130. Sickness House
 131. Silent Bloodnight
 132. Sinners
 133. Sisters of Death
 134. Slasher
 135. Sleep Disorder
 136. Snake Crane Secret
 137. The Somnambulists
 138. Spitfire
 139. The Stranger
 140. Super Hell
 141. Super Hell 2
 142. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
 143. Theater of Blood
 144. They Were Expendable
 145. This Darkness
 146. Vampire Whores from Outer Space
 147. A Vampire's Tale
 148. Vulture's Eye
 149. Up From Zero
 150. Wargames (Shipped... if arrives in time)
 151. The Watcher
 152. Web of the Spider
 153. White Fang to the Rescue
 154. White Zombie
 155. Who Am I?
 156. Wicker Man
 157. Wild Bunch
 158. Wings of an Eagle
 159. Woodland Haunting 2
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:43:53 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
Do we get to make requests...?

A 12 chapter serial means I need to fit in 13 movies over this special 4-day weekend. Here is a list of the movies I have on DVD I haven't watched yet. As always... if there is a title in the below list you would like to see me review... just ask. I won't promise to get to it... but I will do my best.

1. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
   5. Altered States
  11. Battleship Potemkin
  14. Big Top Pee Wee
  16. Black Hawk Down
  25. Casualties of War
  30. Convoy
  36. Darkman 2: Return of Durante
  37. Darkman 3: Die Drakman Die
  40. Dead and Deader (Shipped... if arrives in time)
  49. Dr. Phibes Rides Again
  65. From Beyond
  67. Full Metal Jacket
  68. God Told Me To
  69. Gone with the Wind
  77. House by the Cemetery
  84. Intolerance: Love's Struggle Through the Ages
  87. Jaws: The Revenge
  97. Little Shop of Horrors
  98. The Longest Day
 118. Ricochet
 121. Road Warrior
 142. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
 150. Wargames (Shipped... if arrives in time)
 155. Who Am I?
 156. Wicker Man
 157. Wild Bunch

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
WOW! I hope you don't mind if I only get to some of them!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
Well, yeah, of course. I just thought I list my interests, giving you a smaller choice than originally :D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
I know one I will definitely be watching (and not even on the above list... but does still count as unwatched DVD). I promised Britt I would watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine with her this weekend.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:27 AM »
Hey, Pete, since you plan to watch a Tarzan serial, I wonder if you have any regular Tarzan feature films?  I have the two sets that contain all of Johnny Weismuller's Tarzan films...maybe I should do my own marathon of them someday?  I do remember that there is a bug on one of the discs sthat messes up the opening of one of the films (Tarzan's New York Adventure) unless it was just an issue one of my DVD players had with that movie.  I no longer have the player I was using them so I should try this disc on my current player now.  Did you know that the restored edition of one of these Tarzan movies has an underwater swimming sequence where Jane is nude?  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
Unfortunately this serial is the only Tarzan I own.  :bag: Though Britt has one or 2 of the Disney animated movies.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »

Title: The Little Shop of Horrors
Year: 1960
Director: Roger Corman
Rating: NR
Length: 72 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Jonathan Haze
Jackie Joseph
Mel Welles
Dick Miller
Myrtle Vail

Plot:
Seymour is a young man who works in a flower store. He manages to create a carnivorous plant that feeds on human flesh. Nobody knows about it, so Seymour and the plant become good "friends". The plant needs food to grow up, so it convinces him to start killing people.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have had this movie in my unwatched pile of DVDs for years! I got a free version of this movie in a boxset of 40 classic movies on 20 DVDs that I got for subscribing to total movie magazine. With that fact in mind I went into this movie expecting poor audio and video quality. But I was surprised to see that both the audio and video was in rather good shape. I was able to watch this movie with ease. But what I thought of the movie is another thing all together. To be honest I am sitting here now still not sure what I thought of it. While watching this movie I wasn't sure if I should laugh at it or shake my head in disapproval. I mean I didn't actually hate it... but it wasn't what I would call great either. If I didn't know ahead of time who Jack Nicholson played in this movie... I would have never recognized him in this one. Not his face or his voice. Though he obviously did change his voice a bit for this role.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
Tarzan meets Indiana Jones! A Mysterious ancient idol called The Green Goddess is being worshipped by the jungle-natives of a lost city deep in Guatemala. Not only is it covered in rubies and jewels, it contains in it an old recipe for a gunpowder-like explosive. Major Martling (Frank Baker) and Ula Vale (Ula Holt) come from Africa to search out the Green Goddess. A mercenary named P. B. Raglan (Ashton Dearholt, who was also a producer of this film) is sent by Ula's lawyer to find the statue first. The major and Ula meet up with Tarzan, who is on a mission to find his old pal, d'Arnot, whose plane crashed near the lost city. The group must nowsave d'Arnot and grab The Green Goddess before Raglan shares all it's secrets!

Chapter 1: The New Adventures of Tarzan
Well... the first thing I noticed is that Tarzan gave his yell in the opening. But this is not the famous yell we all know. Nope... this one sounds weird. More like... ArghhhhhhMaaNaaEeeeeeeee!!! He also has a second shorter yell... but it isn't the one he is known for either. The next thing I noticed was the length of this first chapter. Sure I know the first chapter is normally longer then the rest of them. But this has to be the longest first chapter I ever seen. This one clocks in at 41min.

In this story Tarzan has already been discovered, taken home, educated and decided to go back to the jungle. I kind of wish it took place before all that happened. But that is ok. I am really enjoying the story so far. In this chapter we get to see Tarzan fighting a lion, fighting 2 jaguars, and out-swimming a crocodile. The first chapter also has a good cliffhanger of an ending.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »

Title: From Beyond
Year: 1986
Director: Stuart Gordon
Rating: Category IIB (US Rating: R)
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.50:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese

Stars:
Jeffrey Combs
Barbara Crampton
Ted Sorel
Ken Foree
Carolyn Purdy-Gordon

Plot:
"A hilariously grisly amalgam of sex, shock and satire. Do I laugh or do I scream? Both." - Newsweek

If you loved RE-ANIMATOR, wait until you visit FROM BEYOND! It's a critically-acclaimed shocker based on H.P. Lovecraft's classic tale of suspense that takes you where no horror film has!

The Resonator is a gruesome machine that activates a special sixth sense - one that makes its victims crave human brains. You're in for a wonderfully slimy time when you go FROM BEYOND!

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that our good friend Achim sent to me. So it is a Hong Kong release (no region coding). I thought I never seen this movie before. But I now believe I had as some of the scenes in it looked familiar. It is not a great movie... but it was worth watching. I did enjoy it. One thing that kinda bothered me off and on through-out the movie is the forced Chinese subtitles. They distracted me from the movie a few times. As I said... the movie is pretty good., had some disgusting scenes in it. I don't think I would really classify it as gory... because when I think gory I think blood and guts... humans being torn apart. While there is a bit of blood. This seems different to me. It is more on the line of things you never seen before that look pretty gross. And those things coming apart and such.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »

Chapter 2: Crossed Trails
The second chapter runs for 18min. While entertaining... nothing outstanding about this chapter. The cliffhanger for this one while alright, I was expecting better. But that is ok. I know that not every chapter can be filled with excitement.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »
I remember one Tarzan film where Tarzan had this unbelievably bad scream.  Then a girl exclaims, "Why...it sounds almost human!"  After I stopped laughing, I asked "What planet are you from, lady"  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »

Title: Altered States
Year: 1980
Director: Ken Russell
Rating: R
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
William Hurt
Blair Brown
Bob Balaban
Charles Haid
Thaao Penghlis

Plot:
Research scientist Eddie Jessup (William Hurt) believes other states of consciousness are as real as everyday reality. Using sensory deprivation, then adding powerful, hallucinogenic drugs, he explores these altered states...and endures experiences that make madness seem a blessing.

Academy Award™ winner William Hurt as Jessup (his film debut) heads a solid cast featuring Blair Brown, Bob Balaban and Charles Haid. Working from Paddy Cheyefsky's novel, director Ken Russell guides us with a sorcerer's skill through Eddie's magical and horrific journey as Altered States gyrates with dazzling visual bravado and bracing emotional impact.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Cast/Crew Bios
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I am embarrassed to say that I bought this movie back in April of 2003... and I am just now getting around to watching it. First thing coming to my mind is damn this is a weird movie! But did I like this movie? Well, I found it weird... but interesting. It definitely kept me entertained... but I swear there is stuff that happened in this movie I am still not sure I understood!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
Title: The Little Shop of Horrors
My Thoughts:
I have had this movie in my unwatched pile of DVDs for years! I got a free version of this movie in a boxset of 40 classic movies on 20 DVDs that I got for subscribing to total movie magazine. With that fact in mind I went into this movie expecting poor audio and video quality. But I was surprised to see that both the audio and video was in rather good shape. I was able to watch this movie with ease. But what I thought of the movie is another thing all together. To be honest I am sitting here now still not sure what I thought of it. While watching this movie I wasn't sure if I should laugh at it or shake my head in disapproval. I mean I didn't actually hate it... but it wasn't what I would call great either. If I didn't know ahead of time who Jack Nicholson played in this movie... I would have never recognized him in this one. Not his face or his voice. Though he obviously did change his voice a bit for this role.

:slaphead:

Ah, well! Sooner or later one of the recommendations had to fail. But really, Pete, how could you not have recognised Jack?  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
 :laugh: just not used to seeing a young version of him I guess.
Pete