Author Topic: The Sea Inside  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Sea Inside
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »

Overview:
Based on the profoundly moving true story that captured the world's attention, The Sea Inside is about Spaniard Ramón Sampedro (played by Oscar® nominee Javier Bardem), who fought a 30-year campaign to win the right to end his life with dignity. The story also explores Ramón's relationships with two women and his ability to inspire them through his gift of love. A truly joyous experience, The Sea Inside celebrates the nature of freedom and love, and the mystery and beauty of life.

My thoughts:
Ramón Sampedro becomes a quadriplegic after a diving accident and spent the next 27 years confined to bed and dependent on others. This story revolves around his struggle to control his destiny - including the right to end his life.

Although dealing with the issues of the dignity of life including pain, suffering and death, there are moments of love, joy, humor and fantasy. The interplay of all these issues, and the impact it has on each of the characters, is simply wonderful.

I became immersed in the lives of the characters and loved the interaction between them. The beautiful landscapes and wonderful music add that special something to this movie.

This film is thought provoking, warm and touching and yet so heartbreaking. Films seldom make me cry - this one is an exception.

Najemikon

Re: The Sea Inside
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
Nice review, Kathy. I've never seen this one. It kind of passed me by, but I'll look out for it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
An excellent film and deserving of its Best Foreign Film Oscar.

It was my first film starring Javier Bardem, he's magnificent as always. If you've only seen him in No Country for Old Men, you owe it to yourself to see this.

Jon, with you being such a fan of Ikiru, this is a must see.

I started to write a review of it years ago, I'll have to dig through my folders and finish it.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »

Ah, but wasn't that the same year where Downfall was "shunned" at the Oscars as you wrote in your review? Not that I complain. ;)
Matthias

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

Ah, but wasn't that the same year where Downfall was "shunned" at the Oscars as you wrote in your review? Not that I complain. ;)

When I wrote that review back in 2006 I hadn't seen Mar Adentro yet, so yeah, you got me.  :surrender:

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
Jon, with you being such a fan of Ikiru, this is a must see.

Well, that's a recommendation and a half! Thanks, Antares.