Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 13951 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
I was hoping you will enjoy it more than me since you're a vampire's movie fan, but finally we think the same thing. At least you have appreciated it more than the previous one ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
yeah... I wanted to like it more then I did... but they just drew it out so much it wasn't possible.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

Title: Hellboy II: The Golden Army: Widescreen
Year: 2008
Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Rating: PG-13
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ron Perlman
Selma Blair
Doug Jones
John Alexander
James Dodd

Plot:
The fate of mankind hangs in the balance when a ruthless prince awakens an unstoppable army of creatures and wages war with the human world. It's up to Hellboy and his team of paranormal outcasts to face off with the forces of darkness in the ultimate battle of good versus evil!

From the visionary director of Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy II: The Golden Army takes you into fantastical worlds with imaginative creatures and thrilling fight sequences unlike anything you've ever seen before!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Animated Comic

My Thoughts:
I been looking forward to watching this one since I recently watched and enjoyed the first one. And I enjoyed this one just as much... like the first one it is just a lot of fun. I really got a kick out of Hellboy and Abe drinking together. And of course they get attacked while they are drunk. I am glad I got this sequel in my collection. It is enough like the first one to pay it homage... while at the same time it is unique enough to give you a whole new story so that you don't feel like it is nothing more then more of the same thing. Though I must admit I didn't care too much for the character of Johann Krauss. But then again... he didn't bother me enough to lower my enjoyment of the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »

Title: Land of the Lost
Year: 2009
Director: Brad Silberling
Rating: PG-13
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Will Ferrell
Anna Friel
Danny McBride
Jorma Taccone
John Boylan

Plot:
Comedic genius Will Ferrell stars as has-been scientist Dr. Rick Marshall, who gets more than he bargained for when his expedition takes a wrong turn into the Land of the Lost. Now, Marshall, his crack-smart research assistant Holly (Anna Friel) and a redneck survivalist named Will (Danny McBride), have no weapons, few skills and questionable smarts to survive in a world full of marauding dinosaurs, fantastic creatures and laugh-out-loud comedy!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
Since it arrived today... Brittany and I just couldn't wait to check it out. So we popped it in and watched while eating dinner. First thing I did was check out the overview on the back of the case... after all I got this one without even reading the overview. I went strictly from the trailer we seen several months ago. I was somewhat surprised to see they changed it from a family on a camping trip to a scientist, his assistant and a guide. This made me nervous... but still excited to see it. The fact that Will Farrell is the star is something else that had me nervous as to me he has always been a very hit and miss actor... I don't like half the stuff I see him in. Luckily I enjoyed this... the movie really is a lot of fun. A non-sense type of fun... but fun nonetheless. Some of it had me laughing out loud... but then again some of it had me shaking my head in disbelief. And I definitely got a kick out of both Chaka and Grumpy. But overall it was more entertaining then anything. Though I will say that for me it did go down hill a bit towards the end. Over-all I am glad I have it in my collection... and I can see myself watching it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:49:34 AM »
Im glad you liked it Pete, I think grumpy was hilarious and the end was a bit weird, but I have watched about 4 times now (two of which were at the cinema)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »

Title: Scared to Death
Year: 1947
Director: Christy Cabanne
Rating: NR
Length: 65 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Bela Lugosi
George Zucco
Molly Lamont
Joyce Compton
Gladys Blake

Plot:
From a slab in the morgue, a dead young woman tells the bizarre tale of how she got there, through a maze of murder involving a hypnotist, a midget and a mysterious figure in a blue mask.

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
This movie is part of a Bela Lugosi double feature disc I have... along with the movie The Devil Bat. I picked this one because I thought the plot sounded interesting... and the trailer for it looked good. And while it was good... I was expecting more from it. Not only did it seem the best parts was all in the trailer (nothing unusual there) but every time the movie cut to the morgue to focus on her dead body to tell her story (hear her thoughts) it seemed short and abruptly cut to and from. Also one of the characters, the midget, just disappeared from the story not to be seen again and not mentioned again. But it was entertaining enough to keep my attention through-out the movie. Though I do feel it should have been better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:26 AM »
Pete, I'm glad you liked Gorgo.  The one time I watched that DVD was the first time I'd seen it myself in years.  I don't know if being old can be an excuse for not having the best-looking picture, though...I've seen even older movies that look great on DVD.  I imagine the company could have improved the picture quality with some remastering or something...I don't know all that technical stuff myself, though.  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 01:51:33 AM »
Oh I agree... I have seen the same. But I just seem to be more forgiving if the movie/show is old then if it is new material. As I know sometimes there is only so much they can do.
Pete