Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 8225 times)

Critter

Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 02:51:18 AM »
Quite a bit of dislike for this film on here I see. It was one of my favourites of the year! Hence my profile picture haha.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:04 AM »
Don't worry it's me. As the others could told to you, I've a complete hate relation with this poor excuse for a director :laugh:

The fact that I watch a lot of unknown movies that he had steal from make that I had absolutly no respect for this idiot who had never make anything original. He is just a paste & copy thief... too bad his fan boys aren't able to realize this since they don't know the original material.

Critter

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:46 AM »
I am a fan of Tarantino (not a die hard fan but fan nonetheless) and I understand what you mean. Tarantino does heavily rely on intertextuality in his films and you can see how he references many films already made. I do not think this is a bad thing though, many films and shows do the same thing. Hell look at The Simpsons, same thing going on there. You can almost pick any random episode and being able to state which film it is a parody of/ referencing. Doesn't make it a bad show though (speaking about the good season 1-10)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 09:27:47 AM »
The fact that I watch a lot of unknown movies that he had steal from make that I had absolutly no respect for this idiot who had never make anything original. He is just a paste & copy thief...

Tarantino has never hidden or denied this fact. He's actually quite open and even names the movies he's copied from.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
Don't worry it's me. As the others could told to you, I've a complete hate relation with this poor excuse for a director :laugh:

The fact that I watch a lot of unknown movies that he had steal from make that I had absolutly no respect for this idiot who had never make anything original. He is just a paste & copy thief... too bad his fan boys aren't able to realize this since they don't know the original material.

Out of order!  :redcard:

I have seen it and for now, I'll just say it was bloody marvellous. Not perfect, but brilliant all the same.

Jimmy, if Tarantino is copying, he is also improving. The fact is, he loves the exploitation genre, but he makes it accessible for most viewers, because lets face it, most of it is unwatchable shit, because perversely that was the point.

You've said before your favourite director is Mario Bava, but of the films I saw, brilliant though one or two were, he was rather heavily influenced on all but one. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, because he was a superb director in his own right, but you can't call Tarantino for ripping off and Bava for, what, a homage?  :tease:

Basterds isn't perfect, but it frequently touches on high-art. The directors he supposedly rips off are physically incapable of building a scene like he can. If you have even the slightest understanding of narrative and mise-en-scene, especially from a European perspective, you can see how brilliant several scenes in this film are.

So there. With knobs on. :dance:

Critter

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »
 :bow:
 :thanks:

See that's exactly what I was trying to say... only Jimmy said it much better.  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Tarantino has never hidden or denied this fact. He's actually quite open and even names the movies he's copied from.
Sorry but he had started telling this when he was caught the hand in the bank... Someone who build his complete career copying other person work had no talent. Honestly does someone who would copy an obscure book and sell it as his own would be call a thief and liar when caught? Yes and this person would become the laughingstock of the writing world...
Jimmy, if Tarantino is copying, he is also improving. The fact is, he loves the exploitation genre, but he makes it accessible for most viewers, because lets face it, most of it is unwatchable shit, because perversely that was the point.
No
If he like it so much, he had no reason to touch it

:redcard:
Sorry but have you tried to watch Centerfold Girls, Bonnies Kid, Days of the Woman, Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom, Island of Death, The Candy Snatchers and thousand of others before telling they are shit :whistle:

That was never the point... This period was one of the most creative in the american cinema, finally it was possible to make movies outside of the Hollywood system and see them distributed. Brian de Palma, Martin Scorsese, Richard Rush and Dennis Hopper are just some exemple of director who got their start in those supposedly shitty movie ::)

I don't think we will ever agree on this, but since I know am right it's ok :tease:

edit to add that yes Mario Bava is my favorite European director but not my favorite, Joe Sarno and Radley Metzger are ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:32:16 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
Sorry but he had started telling this when he was caught the hand in the bank... Someone who build his complete career copying other person work had no talent. Honestly does someone who would copy an obscure book and sell it as his own would be call a thief and liar when caught? Yes and this person would become the laughingstock of the writing world...

And he would be in the film world. He's beloved in France and they don't respond well to bullshit, as they're a bit hung up on the kudos of inventing the medium. It's because he produces challenging work of substance. I don't agree he was ever caught; anyone who uses the amount of music from other movies to the extent he does can't pretend otherwise. But therein lies his skill. The pieces work so well you'd think they were written for him.

No
If he like it so much, he had no reason to touch it

:redcard:
Sorry but have you tried to watch Centerfold Girls, Bonnies Kid, Days of the Woman, Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom, Island of Death, The Candy Snatchers and thousand of others before telling they are shit :whistle:

That was never the point... This period was one of the most creative in the american cinema, finally it was possible to make movies outside of the Hollywood system and see them distributed. Brian de Palma, Martin Scorsese, Richard Rush and Dennis Hopper are just some exemple of director who got their start in those supposedly shitty movie ::)

I don't think we will ever agree on this, but since I know am right it's ok :tease:

Ha! I knew that'd push a button!  ;) You're absolutely right, Jimmy, honestly I do agree. But the movies themselves don't stand up to the sheer quality of Hitchcock or Melville, or even those directors who got their start as you say. Tarantino does. If he was such a copycat, Pulp Fiction wouldn't have worked as well as it did. The basic point of exploitation was to shake things up and challenge the norm. He's the only director doing that today, who can mix it with the masters.

Actually, just how many of his relatively few films have you seen, Jimmy? I can understand your reaction to Reservoir Dogs because although it is phenomenal, there's a lot of other peoples work of comparable quality that for some reason didn't catch on. There again though is the European angle because Tarantino made it in Britain (sorry) and France before the US.

There is no way you can dismiss Jackie Brown as a "rip off". He adapted a book, end of. And did so brilliantly. Also, what is Pulp Fiction a copy of?

edit to add that yes Mario Bava is my favorite European director but not my favorite, Joe Sarno and Radley Metzger are ;D

So just for the record, you're absolutely fine with Bava blatantly copying Shane, Hammer Horror and Leone at least?  :hmmmm: To be honest, I thought he'd got the jump on Peckinpah at least, before I realised The Getaway had been out several years before Rabid Dogs.

But that's my point. Bava's Rabid Dogs is utterly brilliant with one of the best endings ever. He took obvious inspiration from Peckinpah, but made something uniquely his own. Nothing wrong with it at all. So why such uncharted hate against Tarantino?

By the way, Scorcese's new one is inspired heavily by Val Lewton... just saying...  :tease:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:49:11 PM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »
Actually, just how many of his relatively few films have you seen, Jimmy?
Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and even if he had only written those Natural Born Killer and True Romance (actually I like this one)

what is Pulp Fiction a copy of?
The Jules and Vincent characters are directly stolen from Massacre Mafia Style and Bonnie's Kids. Most of the dialogue between them are from different film with just some words changed (don't remember wich film but I've heard the same discussion using Bonanza in place of Royal with cheese). This is just a couple of exemple that I can easilly think of right now.

So why such uncharted hate against Tarantino?
He is an overated arrogant prick who think he know everything when this isn't the case at all. I hate that kind of people in real life more than anything :yucky:

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »
what is Pulp Fiction a copy of?
The Jules and Vincent characters are directly stolen from Massacre Mafia Style and Bonnie's Kids. Most of the dialogue between them are from different film with just some words changed (don't remember wich film but I've heard the same discussion using Bonanza in place of Royal with cheese). This is just a couple of exemple that I can easilly think of right now.

I've never heard those titles mentioned before in relation to Pulp Fiction, but Jules and Vincent are hardly original in themselves anyway. You can find characters like that throughout the 70s. Jury still out!

You should watch Martin Scorcese's American Cinema documentary. There's a section where he talks about how all directors are smugglers. American film is built on ripping off other peoples ideas (Horror/Thriller came directly reinterpreting German Expressionism). Tarantino's plots are just too complicated to be dismissed as mere rip-off's.

So why such uncharted hate against Tarantino?
He is an overated arrogant prick who think he know everything when this isn't the case at all. I hate that kind of people in real life more than anything :yucky:

I think he's overly enthusiastic and can certainly be an arsehole, but he's genuinely brilliant. I tend to get on with big heads who can prove it and he can. Now, M. Night Shyamalan is so far up his own backside he can barley operate the camera anymore!  :laugh:

I'll stick my review in another thread rather than take over Marie's anymore...  :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:46 PM »
I know the Onion is a spoof newspaper, but that sound so much like him ;)

Next Tarantino Movie An Homage To Beloved Tarantino Movies Of Director's Youth

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:31 AM »
I love this... :clap:

This guy hits the nail right on the head. :clap:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:33:27 AM by Antares »

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »
It is clever, but hits it on the head? Nah. Only if you agree with one of his opinions, and he does at least give a choice! I know why I love it and I can write my own review, thank you very much!  :laugh: