Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 106496 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
It does disappoint me when you say that, Jimmy, because surely you're including me and now it seems Rich too? :shrug: Hang on... Achim even reviewed 2012, yet likes Tarantino.  :whistle:
Didn't sleep really well yesterday that's why it sounds a little bit harsh (ok more than a little bit). But everybody know how I react when I see Tarantino worshipping as if he was a god or original... But as a defender and fan of those unknown movies it always make me sad to see them ignored or discarted even if they are the original and even better. You're right this wasn't my best comment, for someone who want to see his taste respected this isn't really brillant to attack the taste of the others. I even find one of his movie, Reservoir Dogs, enjoyable. But I've a hard time with his persona for me he is a douchebag full of himself...

Sorry guys for my comment this morning you know I don't think that. Jon I've bought many good films following your recommandation, Rich reviewed a lot of interesting stuff (even if I find him severe some time :P) and Achim is the one here (with Kathy) who had the most in common with my taste in movie.   

snowcat

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
Jimmy I think people will have to agree to disagree with you :p

Reservoir Dogs in my opinion is brilaint becaus of the way its filmed, to me any film that can take place preety much in one room and keep me entertaned for that long has to have some good in it :P

Of course, I can see that he got inspiration from other films but most directors do that ;P unfortunately original ideas often get lost, and lets be honest... can anything really be original any more story wise in a film? there are always going to be elements of some other film in something.

I like Trantino I think he has an interesting career but I think certain films are over praised Pulp Fiction being my main problem with him.

Anyway moving on :p I will be watching some Christmas films tonight! and start reviewing tomorrow... I wont really be taking part in of the main marathons, just my own.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »
(although DMCL is rubbish).

I have to disagree with you on this one Jon, DMCL is every bit as good as the other two films you mentioned.

Najemikon

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »
Jimmy's point though is that there are other films, perhaps as audacious and clever, that have been forgotten. They're the sort of films he watches! As I've told him before, there was half a chance Dogs was going the same way as those forgotten gems, except it got picked up so enthusiastically in the UK. Sorry, Jimmy! Our fault...  :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »

I have to disagree with you on this one Jon, DMCL is every bit as good as the other two films you mentioned.

White Lightning is a close call, but is also a different style, but as good as Vanishing Point? Nonsense, sir!  :laugh: My review is in that previous link, along with several other car classics and I'd welcome your comments because I found it sorely lacking compared to the others.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »
I even find one of his movie, Reservoir Dogs, enjoyable.

Have you seen City on Fire?

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »

White Lightning is a close call, but is also a different style, but as good as Vanishing Point? Nonsense, sir!  :laugh: My review is in that previous link, along with several other car classics and I'd welcome your comments because I found it sorely lacking compared to the others.

I guess I don't hold Vanishing Point in such high esteem as you do. It's been many years since I viewed it, and to me , it dragged a bit. 

Don't get me wrong I liked it, but I was making my observation from the viewpoint of 70's drive-in films. Which is what Tarantino was paying 'homage' * to with Death Proof.

Actually, it's time to watch it again, maybe I'll see it in a more enriching light.

* from the Tarantino dictionary of film terminology - to plagiarize or to sample wholesale portions of obscure films and to pass off as an example of wunderkind genius. :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »
I guess I don't hold Vanishing Point in such high esteem as you do. It's been many years since I viewed it, and to me , it dragged a bit. 

Don't get me wrong I liked it, but I was making my observation from the viewpoint of 70's drive-in films. Which is what Tarantino was paying 'homage' * to with Death Proof.

* from the Tarantino dictionary of film terminology - to plagiarize or to sample wholesale portions of obscure films and to pass off as an example of wunderkind genius. :hmmmm:

You and Jimmy are going to get on very well!  :hysterical:

But I get your point. DMCL is absolutely perfect for drive-in fodder. I respond best to characters and I was utterly unconvinced, but it has more of that spirit than Vanishing Point.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »

You and Jimmy are going to get on very well!  :hysterical:

But I get your point. DMCL is absolutely perfect for drive-in fodder. I respond best to characters and I was utterly unconvinced, but it has more of that spirit than Vanishing Point.

I'll have to dig up my old Kill Bill reviews from DVDSpot. I think he'll get a kick out of them.  ;)

richierich

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:25 PM »

Title: A Streetcar Named Desire

Runtime:125
Certificate:PG
Year:1951
Genres:Drama, Classic

Plot:An honored film. A milestone in movie acting. A landmark in the fight against censorship. Winner of four Academy Awards®, an unprecedented three of them in the acting categories. A Streetcar Named Desire is all of these. And now it's even more.
A Streetcar Named Desire: the Original Director's Version is the Elia Kazan/Tennessee Williams film moviegoers would have seen had not Legion of Decency censorship occurred at the last minute. It features three minutes of previously excised footage underscoring, among other things, the sexual tension between Blanche Dubois (Vivien Leigh) and Stanley Kowalski (Marlon Brando), and Stella Kowlaski's (Kim Hunter) passion for husband Stanley. "In 1951, you had to guess at a lot of things that are now made clear," Roger Ebert notes. Catch all of the classic that introduced a new era in filmmaking. This Streetcar is the one you've been waiting for.

My Review:
Melodramatic and grim, despite some outstanding performances I was not enthralled or hooked by this 'classic', which at 2+ hours long became quite tiresome. Brando was a pretty impressive macho guy at the time, and Vivien Leigh is at times wonderful in her role as Blanche, but in some scenes incredibly wooden and soulless, surprised she won an oscar for the part. The dark, dirty and humid New Orleans is captured brilliantly, as the apartment walls start closing in on Blanche, you truly get a sense of being there, shadowy and moody accompanied by a heady score, the cinematography is exceptional.
In its day I imagine it was dramatic and original, but without being able to put an actual finger on why, I didn't really enjoy this movie.
My Rating
 :-\

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
I am actually sorry to read that. This is one of the classics I heard a lot about and wanted to check out.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »
Brando was a pretty impressive macho guy at the time, and Vivien Leigh is at times wonderful in her role as Blanche, but in some scenes incredibly wooden and soulless, surprised she won an oscar for the part.

She's supposed to be soulless at times, as she
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 01:01:27 AM »
Brando was a pretty impressive macho guy at the time, and Vivien Leigh is at times wonderful in her role as Blanche, but in some scenes incredibly wooden and soulless, surprised she won an oscar for the part.

She's supposed to be soulless at times, as she
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 01:02:32 AM »
I am actually sorry to read that. This is one of the classics I heard a lot about and wanted to check out.

Give it a go Pete, as said I can't put my finger on why this film didn't click for me, it just didn't  :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:59 AM »
I probably will still give it a try... but I have found I don't normally do too well with melodramas.
Pete