Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 105778 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »

Title: A Christmas Carol
Year: 1984
Director: Clive Donner
Rating: PG
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
George C. Scott
Liz Smith
Anthony Walters
Roger Rees
John Quarmby

Plot:
George C. Scott stars in this critically acclaimed version of Charles Dickens' holiday classic in which one man discovers the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas elicits nothing more than "Bah, humbug!" from Ebenezer Scrooge (Scott), a miser whose sole pursuit of financial success has left him a bitter and lonely old man. But a Christmas Eve visit from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future ultimately teaches him to open his heart to the spirit of Christmas and to the joys of friends and family. Filmed entirely on location in the historic English town of Shrewsbury, this lavish production vividly brings to life one of the world's best-loved Christmas stories.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have seen the new Robert Zemeckis' Christmas Carol this week in the theatre. I thought it fitting to watch this one now for comparison. It was part of a Christmas movie boxset. This is the first time I have watched this film. I think before this week I have never seen an adaption of the Christmas Carol which follows the book. Of course I know the story, but mainly from the many TV series which used the storyline and of course the great Bill Murrey movie "Scrooged". It was fun to see a live-action adaption in comparison with a modern animated version now. I enjoyed both versions, but I have to say, that I like the new one better.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »

Title: Scrooged
Year: 1988
Director: Richard Donner
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Hungarian: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Bill Murray
Karen Allen
John Forsythe
John Glover
Bob Goldthwait

Plot:
High-spirited high jinks on Christmas Eve put Frank Cross (Bill Murray) in a ghostly time warp in this hilarious take-off of Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'. Cross, who has made the meteoric rise from the depths of the mailroom to TV network president, is mean, nasty, uncaring, unforgiving and has a sadistic sense of humour - perfect qualities for a modern-day Scrooge.

Before the night is over, he'll be visited by a maniacal New York cab driver from the past, a present-day fairy who's into pratfalls and, finally, a ghoulish, seven-foot headless messenger from the future.

Awards:
Academy Award1988NominatedBest MakeupTom Burman, Bari Dreiband-Burman
BMI Film & TV Music Awards1989WonBMI Film Music AwardDanny Elfman
Saturn1988NominatedBest ActorBill Murray
Saturn1988NominatedBest Fantasy Film
Saturn1988NominatedBest Special EffectsEric Brevig, Dream Quest, Alan Hall

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After watching Christmas Carol just now, I had the urge to watch this great movie again. It is one of my favorite Bill Murrey movies. And now I can really compare it to the original Christmas Carol story and I must say, that it is still my favorite adaption of it. My favorite ghost was always Carol Kane as Ghost of Christmas Present.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
I haven't seen Scrooged in years! One of these days I will have to get that in my collection. Hmmmmm.... I wonder if it is on any of the On-Demand channels.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:42 PM »

Title: Miracle on 34th Street
Year: 1994
Director: Les Mayfield
Rating: PG
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.0, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Richard Attenborough
Elizabeth Perkins
Dylan McDermott
J.T. Walsh
James Remar

Plot:
In this new holiday "miracle" based on the famous 1947 film classic, a little girl discovers dreams can come true if you really believe. Six-year-old Susan has doubts about childhood's most enduring miracle - Santa Claus. Her mother told her the "secret" about Santa a long time ago, so Susan doesn't expect to receive the most important gifts on her Christmas list. But after meeting a special department store Santa who's convinced he's the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all - something to believe in. Starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson as Susan, this uplifting and joyous film will make believers out of the entire family.

Awards:
Saturn1994NominatedBest Supporting ActorRichard Attenborough

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I thought I should now just finish off the Christmas movie boxset while I was at it. This is the final movie in this boxset. And the main reason that I have bought it. I think this remake of the classic is very well done. I like it at least just as much as the original. Richard Attenborough is just perfect for the role of Kriss Kringle.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

Title: The Notebook
Year: 2004
Director: Nick Cassavetes
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Russian, Spanish

Stars:
Tim Ivey
Gena Rowlands
Starletta DuPois
James Garner
Anthony-Michael Q. Thomas

Plot:
Behind every great love story is a great story.

As teenagers, Allie (Rachel McAdams) and Noah (Ryan Gosling) begin a whirlwind courtship that soon blossoms into tender intimacy. The young couple is quickly separated by Allie's upper-class parents who insist that Noah isn't right for her. Several years pass and, when they meet again, their passion is rekindled, forcing Allie to choose between her soulmate and class order. This beautiful tale has a particularly special meaning to an older gentleman (James Garner) who regularly reads the timeless love story to his aging companion (Gena Rowlands).

Based on the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks, 'The Notebook' is at once heartwarming and heartbreaking and will capture you in its sweeping and emotional force.

Awards:
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2005WonBMI Film Music AwardAaron Zigman
Casting Society of America Awards2005NominatedBest Feature Film Casting – DramaMatthew Barry, Nancy Green-Keyes
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Female PerformanceRachel McAdams
MTV Movie Awards2005WonBest KissRachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling
Satellite Awards2005WonBest Actress in a Supporting Role – DramaGena Rowlands
Screen Actors Guild Award2004NominatedBest Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting RoleJames Garner
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Breakout Movie Star - FemaleRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Date Movie
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie Actor: DramaRyan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie Actress: DramaRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie Breakout Performance - MaleRyan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie ChemistryRachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Dance SceneRachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie LiplockRachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie Love SceneRachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie of the Summer
Teen Choice Awards2005WonChoice Movie: Drama

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great love story! I had feared that this movie will be boring or too melodramatic, but it there wasn't a single minute where it wasn't engaging. Despite the two hour runtime the time flew by. I can recommend it.

Rating:

richierich

« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »

Title: Grilled

Runtime:83
Certificate:R
Year:2006
Genres:Comedy

Plot:Ray Romano and Kevin James - as you've never seen them before - serve up the laughs as two door-to-door meat salesmen who find themselves in a terrible slump. With one last chance to make good or get fired, the partners head out to close a perfect prospect but wind up in the middle of a big beef between desperate mobsters, ruthless killers and a sultry seductress. Now, either they find a way to get out of this mess alive - and hopefully make a killer sale in the process - or they're dead meat!
My Review:
Pointless and unfunny, a story about 2 sales guys selling 'meat' subscriptions on a monthly basis - have you ever heard anything so stupid! (or do they actually sell such things in US??) They get caught up with some crazy characters and a murder plot. And thats it!
Scriptless, inept and boring.
My Rating
 :yawn:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
Pointless and unfunny, a story about 2 sales guys selling 'meat' subscriptions on a monthly basis - have you ever heard anything so stupid! (or do they actually sell such things in US??)
We have a guy here who deliver seafood and meat to the house. You need to be on his costumer list to get the delivery, so it doesn't sound that stupid to me :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2009, 11:41:36 PM »
We have that type of delivery too...Schwans...seriously!

richierich

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:22 AM »

Title: Meet Bill

Runtime:93
Certificate:R
Year:2007
Genres:Comedy

Plot:'MEET BILL' ('Aaron Eckhart'). By all appearances his life is perfect - a perfect mess, that is. His wife ('Elizabeth Banks') is having an affair with the local news anchor ('Timothy Olyphant') and he is stuck in a dead-end job at his father-in-law's bank. Bill sees no escape from his miserable life until he becomes a mentor to a self-assured teen ('Logan Lerman') who is determined to help Bill reinvent his life by setting him up with a sexy lingerie saleswoman ('Jessica Alba') who promises to spice things up. Together, the trio confronts Bill's hapless life with humor and energy while forcing him to capture his dream of becoming his own man. 'MEET BILL' is a film about what it means to let go of your inhibitions and find the path you're destined for.
My Review:
Warm and cuddly comedy, untaxing on mind or spirit, but a fairly relaxing way to pass an hour and a half.
The acting is ok, you do find yourself rooting for 'loser' Aaron Eckhart, and of course having both Jessica Alba and Elizabeth Banks in the movie it is easy on the eye. Logan Lerman as the kid gives a top performance, and was recognisable from a few other big films.
This is certainly no major classic comedy or romance, but is a friendly flick and is a good budget buy.
My Rating
 :D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2009, 05:35:26 AM »

[...]

My Rating
I have seen this on TV once, I think, and didn't think it was that bad. Notz that I  had the desire to own the DVD, but at least a

Isn't there also a bunch of cameos, by judge Reinhold and Burt Reynolds and maybe some others...?

richierich

« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

[...]

My Rating
I have seen this on TV once, I think, and didn't think it was that bad. Notz that I  had the desire to own the DVD, but at least a

Isn't there also a bunch of cameos, by judge Reinhold and Burt Reynolds and maybe some others...?

Yes there were a few cameos, and a few recognisable faces from tv series, but not enough to save this limp film for me.
I just couldn't get my head round why anyone would have a monthly subscription for meat, although as below replies from my learned friends across the pond it actually does happen  :headscratch:
Maybe they need a Meatprofiler created?  :shrug:

snowcat

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »
Ive been meaning to watch Meet Bill for a while now, maybe ill watch it tonight.

richierich

« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Runtime:104
Certificate:12
Year:2005
Genres:Adventure, Comedy, Science-Fiction

Plot:Wonderfully wacky. Absurdly hysterical. Insanely irreverent. It's the laugh-out-loud intergalactic comedy THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. Based on Douglas Adams' best-selling novel and filled with out-of-this world visual and special effects, this is one ride you don't want to miss. Seconds before Earth is destroyed by the nastiest creatures in the universe, mild-mannered Arthur Dent is whisked into space by his friend, an alien in human form. And so the misadventures begin as he and fellow travellers, including a two-headed Galactic President and a paranoid android, search for answers to the mystery of life, the universe and everything.

My Review:
At school HGTTG radio, tv and book was always the realm of geeky kids, (chess club participants who brought schoolwork in briefcases and were wedgied at lunchtime). I didn't like it then and this film reinforced the fact.
It was fairly well made and at times amusing, reasonable cast of actors and narrator who appeared happy to be part of this venture, but overall I found the humour adolescent and the script without context.
I understand even fanboys didn't like this adaptation, so we now do have something in common. Clearly another adaptation once again by Hollywood flopped.
My Rating
 :-\

Critter

« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
I liked the Hitchhikers book but I must admit I was underwhelmed by this film. I did however love Alan Rickman's voice as the big depressed robot  :clap:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2009, 03:45:38 PM »
I love the book. In fact, the first two or three. Somehow I got stuck at some point in the third or fourth one and haven't continued it since. I do want to finish it, just got to put up the energy to get it going.