Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 22518 times)

snowcat

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
Pete watch the Mel Brooks film The Producers ;P very, very funny.

Critter

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
Haha ah Pete you are missing out. Musicals are one of my favourite genre!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
 :laugh: Not missing out at all. I have seen some musicals. Not that long ago I suffered through High School Musical when my daughter really wanted me to watch it with her. And there was one or 2 in the past that I suffered through for my wife before she passed away.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
I strongly urge you to watch Romance & Cigarettes.
I'd go as far as saying if you do not like that 'musical', I'd give you your money back  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »

You don't get it, Critter! Pete doesn't like music. :P Even background music annoys him!

Now I love music, but I cannot stomach musicals. The only musical I really enjoyed was the episode of Buffy! And that's because they recognised how daft they are (though I realise Whedon proved you can know this and still devote your life to them). I just can't get by the idea of singing instead of acting!

richierich

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »

You don't get it, Critter! Pete doesn't like music. :P Even background music annoys him!

Now I love music, but I cannot stomach musicals. The only musical I really enjoyed was the episode of Buffy! And that's because they recognised how daft they are (though I realise Whedon proved you can know this and still devote your life to them). I just can't get by the idea of singing instead of acting!

Have you watched Romance & Cigarettes????

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »
 :bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »

Title: Alive or Dead: Widescreen
Year: 2007
Director: Stephen Goetsch
Rating: R
Length: 82 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Ann Henson
Angelica Magana
L. Flint Esquerra
Gretchen Busenitz
Diego De Vargas

Plot:
WHILE TRAVELING DOWN a desolate road, Maria comes upon an apparently abandoned school bus. A girl has written "HELP ME" in one of the windows and Maria quickly discovers the messy secrets that lie in the back of the bus. As the killer reappears, Maria finds herself now hidden and trapped as the killer takes them on the ride of their lives. Their journey leads to a bizarre location in the desert, where they'll quickly learn their enemy is not who they think. The girls must figure out whom to trust, if even each other, if they hope to return home, alive or dead.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is another one I bought last month but never got around to watching. Not really too much to say about this one... while it was ok... I wasn't overly impressed. It really isn't anything more then an average horror. Just basically another take on the backwoods horror. And there is definitely better then this for that sub-genre.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »

Title: Mrs. Amworth
Year: 2005
Director: Frank Sciurba
Rating: NR
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Magenta Brooks
Christy Sullivan
Daniel Ross
James Nalitz
Ben Murrie

Plot:
Mrs. Amworth will win your heart, then drain your blood.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies in the Mortuary of Madness boxset that I been wanting to check out since I first saw the above cover art for it. Of course I know you can't go just by the cover art on these movies... so I went into it with pretty low expectations. And it is a good thing that I went into it not expecting much. While the acting needs much improvement... I have seen worse. The script could use some polishing as well. But as I said about the acting... I have seen worse. The audio and video quality was right good on this release. As for the story... I didn't care much for the idea of the vampire not being effected by the sun.  But I have noticed that all vampire movies takes liberties with the vampire legend... especially these very low budget movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Critter

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:03 AM »
You don't get it, Critter! Pete doesn't like music.  Even background music annoys him!

Oh haha, I see. This is a severe case. I suppose not much chance of seeing Pete's huge CD collection then  :P.

Now I love music, but I cannot stomach musicals. The only musical I really enjoyed was the episode of Buffy!

I loved that episode of Buffy too and I do love a lot of musicals. Even I however can't stomach the tripe such as High School Musical. I think my love of musicals comes from the old Disney films such as The Lion King etc. I consider most of those films musicals and I loved them all as a child. Now however it's films such as Across the Universe, Chicago and Moulin Rouge! that are my favourite musicals.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
What's a CD?
Pete

Critter

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 12:59:46 AM »
Little round disc, looks very similar to a DVD in fact but it comes in a sqaure case. But get this, instead of putting moving pictures on the disc, they only put sound! How insane is that  :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:03:38 AM by Critter »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »
 :yucky:
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »
The only musical I really enjoyed was the episode of Buffy!

What about Dr. Horrible? And you obviously like The Wicker Man, so not all is lost. And I second Rich's recommendation of Romance & Cigarettes.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »
The only musical I really enjoyed was the episode of Buffy!

What about Dr. Horrible? And you obviously like The Wicker Man, so not all is lost. And I second Rich's recommendation of Romance & Cigarettes.

Oh, yes, I'd forgotten Dr. Horrible! But The Wicker Man isn't a musical. Actors performing to diegetic music is fine and positively encouraged. It's when they suddenly burst into song outside of the stories logic and other cast members stupidly dance with them in complicated choreography, or worse, stand around gurning. I just don't like it. I looked up a clip of Romance and Cigarettes and really enjoyed the wit. Winslet is incredible! And then, she sang. For no reason. And paraded around outside with other random characters. It seems at odds with the rest of the clip. I will try it one day though; I'm not actually anti-musical! I just tend not to enjoy them.