Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 22527 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »

Title: Tron
Year: 1982
Director: Steven Lisberger
Rating: PG
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Jeff Bridges
Bruce Boxleitner
David Warner
Cindy Morgan
Barnard Hughes

Plot:
The first film to venture forth inside the previously unexplored three-dimensional realm of computer imagery, "Tron" dazzles with revolutionary visual effects and mind-bending action sequences. Flynn (Jeff Bridges), a computer whiz who invents video games, finds himself at the mercy of the evil human forces who answer to The Master Control Panel - a powerfully corrupt computer presence that has beamed Flynn inside its deadly game grid. There, an electronic civilization thrives, and "Light Cycles" race at heart-stopping speeds. With the aid of his friends, Alan (Bruce Boxleitner) and Lora (Cindy Morgan), Flynn's only hope is to activate Tron, the courageous and trustworthy counter-program, in a heroic battle to save humankind!

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I have heard a lot about over the years... but never got to see myself. It is one that our good friend Roger sent me while going through his DVDs. Being a Disney movie I went into this one hoping to enjoy it... but at the same time thinking with the subject matter it had to be dated (after all... this movie is almost 30yrs old now) and was think time probably wasn't good to this movie. And I was right about that... but it really didn't matter. While not what I would call great... this is a good, entertaining movie. I had fun watching it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
OK... what are you people doing to me!?!

I tell you... you people around here is such a bad influence!  :tease:

Not my fault  :tease:

I even linked to an excerpt of the movie in my first review.
And I listed the movie with its original title in my second review.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »
But after watching some foreign movies without  dubs I discovered today I prefer the original language track with the subtitles now.

Now you have seen the light  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
Being a Disney movie I went into this one hoping to enjoy it... but at the same time thinking with the subject matter it had to be dated (after all... this movie is almost 30yrs old now) and was think time probably wasn't good to this movie.
Sure it had badly aged, but like you said it's a fun movie and it was awesome when it was released in 82. The 2 arcade games who were release also at the same time were also fun, I've played a lot with the one were you play a flying disc battle with another player ;D

Do you know that a 20th anniversary 2 disc edition was released with a lot of awesome extra about the film? It's one of the first dvd I've bought ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »

Title: Abe's Tomb
Year: 2006
Director: Carl R. Merritt
Rating: NR
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Lisa Adore
Ray Basham
Sherri Foxx
Amanda Fire
Carl R. Merritt

Plot:
Humanity's only hope for continued existence rests solely upon the courage of a small group of police officers and an all-powerfull entity that has long ago, vowed vengeance upon the town.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Well... what can I say... I felt like a vampire movie. So I thought I would see if I could find another good on in the Mortuary of Madness boxset. Unfortunately I wasn't too impressed with Abe's Tomb. While the video quality wasn't bad... the audio had a constant hissing. The writing, while had potential, really needs some help. The acting is only fair at best.  Even with that said... it is a vampire movie... and for that reason alone I did get some enjoyment from it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:07:46 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 11:09:32 PM »

Title: Blood Bound: Meat Market Cut
Year: 2006
Director: Mason Booker
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.33:1

Stars:
Alex Szele
John Hermann
Jeff Robinson
Kerry Birmingham
Paul Crowley

Plot:
Ten years ago, Alex's life as a respected police officer was turned upside down when he discovered vampires were real - and hungry.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I thought that next I would try another vampire movie from the same set. And hope that I am happier with it then I was the last one. And from the first scene I knew I would be. The story, while it still has it's problems is better. The acting was a bit better as well. And thankfully there was no hissing in the sound this time. Though the picture was overly dark in most the scenes. which was a bit on the distracting side. And it did seem a bit weird that the movie went back and forth between color and B&W (mostly in the beginning of the movie). But over all... a decent story that was enjoyable.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 10:38:45 AM »
But after watching some foreign movies without  dubs I discovered today I prefer the original language track with the subtitles now.

Now you have seen the light  ;D

:laugh: I may have seen the light... but it is still a pain in the ass to keep pausing and rewinding to get it all! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »

Title: Flying Tigers: John Wayne Collection
Year: 1942
Director: David Miller
Length: 101 Min.

Stars:
John Wayne
John Carroll
Anna Lee
Paul Kelly
Gordon Jones

Plot:
They were the terror of the sky, a small daring band of American mercenaries who soared into battle against the Japanese in defense of China's freedom. They were aces, adventurers and heros, America's hottest fighter pilots – THE FLYING TIGERS! Possessing unmatched skill and bravery, Jim Gordon (John Wayne), the Tiger's commander, is the top gun of China's skies. But he faces a battle on the ground when his good friend Woody Jason is suspected of recklessly causng the death of a fellow pilot and is accused of stealing Jim's fiancée. Jim's fight to retain his respect for Woody while maintaining the solidarity of his pilots is an explosive battle of courage and heroism that lights up the sky with action!

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
What with our friend Roger saying this is one of his favorite John Wayne war movies... I just had to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised during the opening scene in the plane fighting... for such an old war movie there was a nice amount of blood. This movie is 67 years old. So I shouldn't be surprised that some of the scenes has some film damage but over all the picture looks good... better then I would normally expect from such an old movie. The movie itself was very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I would definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »

Title: Duel: Collector's Edition
Year: 1971
Director: Steven Spielberg
Rating: PG
Length: 89 Min.
Audio: English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Dennis Weaver
Jacqueline Scott
Eddie Firestone
Lou Frizzell
Gene Dynarski

Plot:
Before spinning cinematic gold from sharks, dinosaurs and homesick aliens, a young Steven Spielberg directed this high-velocity thriller about an innocent motorist terrorized by an evil truck. Spielberg's first full-length movie, Duel helped jumpstart the director's big-screen career, with a gripping, action-packed story hailed by critics as a film that "...belongs on the classics shelf reserved for top suspensers"(Daily Variety). Dennis Weaver stars as the traveling salesman waging a desperate battle for survival after he is mysteriously singled out for destruction. Praised for its deft use of relentlessly mounting psychological tension, Duel features one of the most uniquely terrifying "characters" in movie history: a massive, roaring 40-ton truck with more sheer menace than most flesh-and-blood villains. But Steven Spielberg was, literally, just getting started. A few years later, the action of Spielberg's blockbuster hit Jaws would echo Duel's tale of a lone hero in a heart-stopping fight to the finish against a monstrous, inhuman foe.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This is another one I bought blind this past month that I never got the chance to watch. It was recommended to me by more then one person. I enjoyed the movie... it is filled with tension. Don't really know what to say with this one since it is basically one long car chase so I will be keeping this one short. I do have to admit the ending was pretty much predictable. But I would recommend checking this one out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »
I'm getting concerned. Sooner or later you're going to not like one of these recommendations! :dance:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »
 :laugh: easy enough... just recommend a musical without telling me it is one... I guarantee you I won't like it! :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 11:55:05 PM »
Pete, I recommend you see the movie Chicago...a grim, gritty murder mystery.  Yeah, yeah, that's it!  :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »
 :laugh: Sorry Roger... heard of that one... not going to fall for it!  :P Guess I better start checking out trailers for movies recommended to me!  :tease:
Pete

Critter

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:44 AM »
Have you ever watched a musical or do you just avoid them at all costs?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »
Have you ever watched a musical or do you just avoid them at all costs?

Pete cannot stand music of any kind. Musicals are therefore completely off-limits for him. It has become some kind of running gag on this forum now  :laugh: