Author Topic: My 25 Days of Christmas Marathon  (Read 25472 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
My 25 Days of Christmas Marathon
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »
25 Days of Christmas Marathon
As I do every year this time... I have my Christmas marathon from Dec. 1st till Dec. 25th. This will include only my DVD Collection... but could be anything related to Christmas... whether it is a Movie, TV Special, or Christmas TV Show Episode... it is all good. What I will do is watch at least 1 show per day. So here is what I am watching...

December 1st

'Miracle on 34th Street' is an irresistible fable that has, for many, become synonymous with celebrating Christmas.

The holiday season is in full swing when a cultured gentleman with twinkling eyes, an ample belly, and a snowy beard (Edmund Gwenn) is hired as Macy's department store Santa. He claims his name is Kris Kringle, and soon fills everyone with Christmas spirit - except for his boss, Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara), who's raising her daughter Susan (Natalie Wood) to not believe in Santa. But when Kris is declared insane and put on trial, everyone's faith is put to the test as old and young alike face the age old question: Do you believe in Santa Claus?

An Academy Award® winner (1947) for Best Supporting Actor (Edmund Gwenn), Best Original Story and Best Screenplay, this timeless tale of faith, love and imagination remains one of the most popular and best-loved holiday films of all time.

My Thoughts:
OK... as some of my friends know I have only recently gotten into the classics... so this is only the second time I ever seen this movie. The first time being this time last year when a friend of mine gave me the DVD. This is a really good movie... enjoyed it quite a bit... will be a regular in my Christmas marathons from now on.

The Dick Van Dyke Show: Allen Brady Presents

The staff of The Alan Brady Show decide to present a Christmas show.

My Thoughts:
When watching this episode the first thing I think is too much music since I am not a fan of music... but other then that.. this is still a fun episode with lots of laughs.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My 25 Days of Christmas Marathon
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
December 2nd

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Seasons Greedings
God Rest Ye, Greedy Gentlemen. A fired, embittered toy maker devises a sinister toy that turns Metropolis's generous citizens into childish, gasping gift-grubbers just in time for Christmas.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun Christmas episode... especially for those of us that like superhero shows. This episode has a great collection of guest stars... You have Sherman Hemsley and Isobel Sanford as the evil toy maker and his assistant. Then there is also Dick Van Patton as the orphanage worker and Denise Richards as Angela... the girl Jimmy likes.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Will you watch the xmas episode of "Smallville" where Lex sees the alternate future?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:15:39 PM »

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Home is Where the Hurt is
INTERGANG has a Christmas present for Superman; a virus from Krypton that could destroy the MAN OF STEEL.

My Thoughts:
There was 3 Christmas episodes in the series... this is the second one... and my least favorite. Not that it is a bad episode... it is not... just that I like the other 2 better. In this one... Christmas is more of a setting then really in the storyline all that much.

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Twas the Night before Myxmas
Christmas again? Where did the time go? MR. MXYZPTLK, on imp from the fifth dimenssion, makes every day Santa's day.

My Thoughts:
I think this was my favorite of the Christmas episodes... It had a lot to do with Christmas... plus Howie Mandel was great as Mr. Mxyzptlk. This was just an all-around fun episode to watch.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
Will you watch the xmas episode of "Smallville" where Lex sees the alternate future?

Oh... yeah... it is definitely on my list... not sure it will be today... but it will be before Christmas... that is for sure. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 02:03:06 AM »

Bones: The Man in the Fallout Shelter
The team is quarantined and must remain in the lab over Christmas when the examination of a corpse trips the building's biohazard system.

My Thoughts:
One of my favorite episodes of one of my favorite shows! In this episode the gang learns that Brennen is a father... and also show that even when in quarantine they can still solve a case!
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:53:09 AM »
My wife and I enjoy the TV show Christmas episodes. We usually rate them as to which one was the best for that year. The Bones episode you watched was #1 that year and ranks as one of the best we remember. ER has also had some very memorable Christmas episodes but the best ones were in the earlier years. My favorite of all time was ER season 1 "The Gift" with Rosemary Clooney as a guest star.

(if you haven't noticed I really like Christmastime )

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:32:16 AM »
yeah... it really was a good episode.

I have the first 3 seasons of ER on DVD so far... so sure I will get to them.

I really am just now starting to get back into the holiday.... but no where near as much as I used to love it. I basically been feeling like I am just going through the motions for my daughter the last 12 years. 12 years ago on Dec. 17th my wife passed away in her sleep at the young age of 26. My daughter was only 6 weeks old. There was complications to the pregnancy/birth and she had a heart condition that she decided to hide from me. But enough of that... going to bring everyone down during our marathons... let me just say it has been a long time... 12 years is a lot of healing time.... but I doubt if Christmas will ever be what it used to be to me.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 03:56:29 AM »
I knew you had lost your wife, didn't know the cause or when. Thanks for sharing.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:32 PM »
December 3rd

Scrooge (1935)
Scrooge, the ultimate Victorian miser, hasn't a good word for Christmas, though his impoverished clerk Cratchit and nephew Fred are full of holiday spirit. But in the night, Scrooge is visited by spirits of another color. Straightforward adaptation of Dickens.

My Thoughts:
There is just no way I could have a Christmas Marathon and not watch Scrooge. There has been many different versions of this story made... but I have not seen many of them myself... so I can't say if this is the best version. (This one stars Sir Seymour Hicks)... but I can say I did enjoy it. This was actually a DVD I got free in a 20 disc/40 movie classic collection when I subscribed to Total Movie Magazine. Quality is far from great... but it is watchable at least. And for free I won't complain.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
Oh Pete my heart goes out to you. To lose your wife after the joy of Brittany being born, and so close to Christmas, is unimaginable. It’s understandable that you still find it difficult around this time of year.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 11:46:29 PM »
Thanks Kathy... like I said.. it was a long time ago... I am dealing much better now. I just don't think Christmas will ever be what it used to be for me is all.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 01:46:44 AM »
Like I'm sure many people feel here Pete we want to say something, but no words ever seem good enough to express it.

Only that our thoughts are with you, and obviously our company and friendship on the board  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:17 AM »
Thanks RichieRich...
It really is something I pretty much dealt with a while ago. Mostly just effects me around the holidays... and our anniversary stuff like that.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
Pete, you must have had it tough while Brittany was growing up, but you come across as a great bloke to know and very proud of your daughter, so you must have done a good job. Like the others, I appreciate you sharing.