Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 10021 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Unwatched DVDs
What with Christmas being next week I thought I better get my Unwatched shelf cleared off some... as there is no room left for any new DVDs I may get. So this weekend I watched...

Hide and Seek
'Robert De Niro' and 'Dakota Fanning' send pulses racing in this "genuine scare-fest" ('The Calgary Sun') that delivers terrifying twists and a shocking surprise ending.

At their new home in upstate New York, newly widowed psychologist David Callaway (De Niro) tries desperately to help his traumatized daughter Emily (Fanning) deal with her mother's death. But before lone, both David and Emily are being terrorized by someone - or 'something' - named Charlie: a "friend" who may or may not be imaginary but is definitely the stuff nightmares are made of! Ready or not... "you'll be jumping out of your seat!" (Richard Roeper)

My Thoughts:
According to some reviews and sites I read this movie seems not to be very popular. I, myself enjoyed it. Granted it is not the best suspense thriller I ever seen.. and the ending was fairly predictable... but it did keep my interest through-out the whole movie. On this DVD you can watch the movie with any of several alternate endings. I chose to watch it this time with the theatrical release ending... but I didn't watch any of the other endings as of yet because I would rather be able to watch it on the movie the next few times I watch the movie... this way I can have a somewhat new experience each time I watch it. Anyway... good movie... but not the best the genre has to offer... so a Thanks to my friend that sent this one to me... will definitely be getting watched again!
Pete

m.cellophane

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
You are the most disciplined DVD watcher I know.  :cheers: Sounds like an interesting movie. I've passed it up several times, but it looks like it's worth a play.  I merged my unwatched into my watched long ago. It just became too embarassing.  :-[ :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
LOL... unfortunately I can't see merging my unwatched with my watched... would be a bit of a pain since I am very limited in DVD space... I have mine on a shelf in 2 rows... one in front of another... so I would hate to have to pull out the dvds in front to get to the ones I haven't watched yet.

Of course I do that now when I re-watch something... so I am probably blowing that out of proportion... but I like easy access to the ones I haven't watched yet  :P

If you give Hide & Seek a go... just don't let yourself hype it up too much... as I said... I definitely seen better... but was a good movie.  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »

Ghosts of Edendale
From the co-creator of 'The Last Broadcast' comes a haunting supernatural thriller. Kevin and Rachel move to Los Angeles to follow their dream -- making it in the movies. They can’t believe their luck when they find the perfect house on a hill called Edendale.Here, all the neighbors are in "the business," and they have high hopes for Kevin and Rachel.

But Rachel's dreams soon turn to horrifying nightmares. First, there's something hiding in the closet, then, the awful crying in the walls, and now, Kevin is acting strange...

Terrified, Rachel thinks she must be going crazy - but could her insanity extend to the hill itself?

As the neighbors gather in anticipation of the completion of Kevin’s work, Rachel must convince him to leave this place before the powerful Ghosts of Edendale reach through time to possess his very soul.

My Thoughts:
This is another one that my friend gave me... the same friend that gave me Hide & Seek. This one I didn't care for nearly as much. I would say this one is OK at best... but this movie had a couple problems I couldn't get past. First of all it was a rather slow movie. So much so that I actually felt like I was forcing myself to keep watching. Another problem I had with this one is that I just couldn't get myself to care about any of the characters. When you combine slow with characters you don't care about it is really hard to enjoy the movie. On the good side (yes there is a good side) they did have a couple of interesting ghost appearances. a couple of ideas of seeing ghosts that I haven't seen in any other movie. And for the most part the ghosts looked good. Unfortunately that just wasn't enough to save this movie from being any more then just OK.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
East meets West in this hip-hop infused samurai-gangster pic in which Forest Whitaker plays a professional killer who goes by the name of Ghost Dog and who lives by the age-old code of the Samurai.

When Ghost Dog's code is dangerously betrayed by the dysfunctional mafia family that occasionally employs him, he must find a way to defend himself without breaking the code of the Samurai.

My Thoughts:
This was a good movie... had a very strong story. I will admit that it wasn't exactly as I expected... as I was expecting more sword play and martial arts.... but for the most part he used a gun for everything. Not that I am complaining... was a really good movie... was just expecting something different is all.

This is a movie that I got super cheap when the video store I worked for  went out of business. So I got it for like $3.00... and was definitely worth every cent at that price! This DVD has been sitting on my unwatched shelf for about 4 or 5 years now... Wish I would have watched it sooner.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:05:09 AM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed Ghost Dog and you finally fit it in! What did you think of the ice-cream seller? I thought the conversations they had were hilarious...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 03:10:36 AM »
absolutely... they were hilarious... talking to each other about the same thing all the time without knowing what the other said... would have never known they didn't understand each other!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »

Monkey Shines
From writer/director George A. Romero, the man who unleashed 'Night of the Living Dead', comes a "terrific psychological thriller" ('L.A. Weekly') that delivers a disturbing message about messing with Mother Nature. Starring Jason Beghe ("Melrose Place") and Janine Turner ("Northern Exposure"), this riveting tale is "a white-knuckle triumph [that doesn't] let up" ('Newsweek')!

Allan Mann (Beghe) is a bitter, angry and vengeful man ever since an accident left him paralyzed from the neck down. He's fed up with himself and everyone around him. All that changes when he's given Ella, a monkey trained to meet his every need. But when Ella begins anticipating Allan's thoughts, strange and deadly things start happening. And as she stalks and wreaks havoc on Allan's fair-weather girlfriend (Turner), incompetent doctor and meddling mother, Allan realizes he must stop the cunning maniacal creature...before she fully takes over his mind!

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I bought cheap a year or so ago... but never got around to watching it. I really wasn't in that big of a hurry as I knew I saw it many years ago when first released on VHS. It has been so long that watching it today was like watching it again for the very first time. I thought it was a real good movie... what I would consider a mild horror from today's standards at least. It was a slower pace then most of the horror I watch... but that is not to say it was a slow movie... as I found the entire movie enjoyable and interesting. Glad I finally decided to watch it again. Unfortunately this DVD was basically a bare bones release... only extra on the disc was the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »

I'm with Lucy
Dumped by the man she thought was perfect for her; newly-single Lucy (Monica Potter, 'Along Came a Spider') continues her search for Mr. Right. Set up on a series of blind dates, she meets five handsome and eligible bachelors, each with their own charms...and flaws. There's the macho jerk (Anthony LaPaglia, 'Analyze That'), the sexual dynamo (Gael Carcia Bernal, 'Y Tu Mama Tambien'), the handsome surgeon (David Boreanaz, TVs 'Angel'), the divorced writer (John Hannah, 'The Mummy Returns') and the uptight executive (Henry Thomas, 'All the Pretty Horses'). Has she finally met the man of her dreams or will her dating nightmare never end?

'I'm with Lucy' is a charming and endearing romantic comedy in the tradition of 'Bridget Jones's Diary' and 'Serendipity'.

My Thoughts:
What to say about this movie.... hmmmmm... well... it is a decent movie... but far from great. For a romantic comedy... it seemed to me that it lacked a bit in the comedy department. Sure... there was a cute scene here and there... but nothing I would call funny. This movie has 1 person that is very familiar to me... that being David Boreanaz who of course was Angel in the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel"... not to mention that he plays Booth in series "Bones". In this movie he plays Luke... one of the guys that dated Lucy. But he did play a bit of a jerk. Like I said... this was a decent movie... but if you feel like checking it out... don't go into it expecting too much.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 11:41:57 PM »

Hemoglobin
A family of incestuous Dutch aristocrats emigrates to New England and 300 years later, their long-lost descendent returns to the ancestral environs to research his rare blood disorder. John (Ray Dupuis) yearns for more information about his family -- and the genetic disorder that threatens his life. Arriving on the Maine island to which he's traced his ancestry, just as its cemetery is being dug up and relocated due to health-code violations, he and his wife, Kathleen (Kristin Lehman) encounter a gin-soaked old M.D. (Rutger Hauer) who agrees to help them in their search for more information. Meanwhile, residents of the island begin to disappear one by one and it appears that a race of horrific mutants is to blame. Slowly realizing the links between John's family legacy and the attacks, the island's surviving residents band together to fend off the monstrous threat.

My Thoughts:
This is another one that my friend gave me because she didn't like it. This one I understand why she didn't. This was a low budget horror that was pretty slow. Don't get me wrong... this does have a few decent scenes... but it takes more then a few decent scenes to make a good movie. I would say that this movie is... at the most... ok. I will probably give it another shot at some point... but don't see myself watching it often.
Pete