Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon  (Read 48798 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's November Alphabet Marathon
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2009, 03:06:37 AM »
:laugh: Damn... if my 3 is like a 1 for everyone else... then what does that make my zero (The Sorority, Bimbos BC, Curse of Lizzie Borden)??  :P
Same score from me, a crappy movie is a crappy movie for everyone
Ah, but your formula is flawed now Pete is watching quality like Val Lewton! Join us... join us...  :tease:
Just look at my marathon Jon I watch quality... at least for me :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

Title: Day of the Dead: Divimax Series
Year: 1985
Director: George A. Romero
Rating: NR
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: DTS ES (Matrixed), English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Lori Cardille
Terry Alexander
Joseph Pilato [Joe Pilato]
Jarlath Conroy
Antoné DiLeo

Plot:
In this third and final shocker in the legendary trilogy from writer/director George A. Romero (DAWN OF THE DEAD, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD), a small group of scientists and soldiers have taken refuge in an underground missle silo where they struggle to control the flesh-eating horror that walks the earth above. But will the final battle for the future of the human race be fought among the living or have they forever unleashed the hunger of the dead? Lori Cardille, Joe Pilato, Richard Liberty and Howard Sherman star in this controversial classic with groundbreaking gore effects by Tom Savini and featuring the most intense zombie carnage ever filmed.

This is the ultimate edition of DAY OF THE DEAD. Presented in a stunning new widescreen transfer with terrifying DTS-ES & Dolby Digital Surround EX audio, this is the darkest day of horror the world has ever known, like you've never seen or heard it before!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Interviews
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
From the Files of Dr. M. Logan P.H.D - 16 Page Booklet

My Thoughts:
I have watched this movie countless times... has always been one of my favorite of the Romero zombie movies. But this is the first time I watched this release of the movie after a good friend (Thanks Achim!) sent it to me. The gore in this one is really up there. Between the zombies tearing and and eating flesh and some of the scenes such as the doctor's experiments on the zombies and a dream sequence here and there the gore is plentiful and well done. I will say that there is some characters I dislike in this movie. But I think that is usually true of most movies. I would also say that some of the acting is a bit over the top.  But if you can get past that you are in for a gory walking dead treat. I didn't get the chance to check out the extras disc yet... but looking forward to checking it out soon.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

richierich

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
Did you see my review of the DOTD remake Pete?
Love to hear your thoughts (being the forums resident horror expert) on it if you've seen it

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,5570.msg96599.html#msg96599

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:49 PM »

Title: The X-Files: I Want To Believe
Year: 2008
Director: Chris Carter
Rating: PG-13
Length: 108 Min.

Stars:
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson
Amanda Peet
Billy Connolly
Xzibit

Plot:
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson re-team to unravel a bizarre case right out of The X-Files. In the blink of an eye, amidst a bone-chilling cold and an eerily deceptive calm, FBI agent Monica Bannan is mysteriously abducted. But this is no ordinary kidnapping. And not only does the search for the missing woman ignite sparks between partners Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny), it defies the boundaries of science, the supernatural and the terrifying spaces in between!

My Thoughts:
This one I recorded off of a premium channel on cable. Being a huge X-Files fan in the past I been wanting to see this one for a long time now. Since I do not have this one on DVD at this time... I didn't include any DVD specific info in this review. Though I do plan on getting the DVD eventually... as I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It really didn't have anything to do with the mythology from the series. But I am personally glad it didn't as I always liked the stand alone episodes better anyway.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »
Did you see my review of the DOTD remake Pete?
Love to hear your thoughts (being the forums resident horror expert) on it if you've seen it

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,5570.msg96599.html#msg96599

I been wanting to see the remake... but I don't have it in my collection yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »

Title: Forty Guns
Year: 1957
Director: Samuel Fuller
Rating: NR
Length: 80 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Barbara Stanwyck
Barry Sullivan
Dean Jagger
John Ericson
Gene Barry

Plot:
Tougher-than-nails landowner Jessica Drummond (Barbara Stanwyck) has ruled over her county in Arizona with such power that even the local sherrif (Dean Jagger) won't stand up to her. And when gunslinger-turned-U.S. Marshall Griff Bonnell (Barry Sullivan) and his brothers seek to restore law and order, they meet with harsh resistance – that is until Jessica falls in love with Bonnell. But when the man's brother is murdered and the two families become bitter enemies, Jessica's loyalty is divided, and Bonnell faces his biggest moral dilemma: how to avenge his brother's death and still maintain his vow of non-violence.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the several Westerns that our friend Roger sent me. One that I have never seen before. While entertaining enough... it really didn't hold up to the epic Westerns that I got used to watching. To me this really was just an average movie. I may watch it now and then for marathons... but it is not one I see watching too often. The DVD itself is pretty much bare bones... only containing the trailer. But I still appreciate it Roger.. Thanks for sending it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »

Title: Justice League: The New Frontier: Two Disc Special Edition
Director: David Bullock
Length: 75 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Portuguese

Stars:
David Boreanaz
Miguel Ferrer
Neil Patrick Harris
John Heard
Lucy Lawless

Plot:
Based on Darwyn Cooke's award-winning graphic novel, this thrilling adventure reveals the origin of the Justice League. With Cold War paranoia putting Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman under government suspicion, only the gravest threat imaginable can force these heroes – along with an army of newcomers including The Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter – to unite in a spectacular showdown to save the world.

David Boreanaz (Angel), Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan), Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess), Kyra Sedwick (The Closer), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother), Jeremy Sisto (Law & Order) and Kyle MacLachlan (Sex and the City) headline the stellar voice cast of this epic saga of how Earth's greatest champions formed the most powerful alliance for good ever assembled!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
3 Bonus Justice League Episodes

My Thoughts:
After a bit of talk we had about Superheroes yesterday I found myself in the mood to watch some. This is a good movie... I definitely enjoyed it. But much like the first time I watched it I just couldn't get over the whole Wonder Woman being able to fly thing. I understand that she could in the comics during the era this movie is supposed to take place in... so they wanted to be true to those comics. But I never read those comics... and I only knew the use of the Invisible Plane for her to get around in. I did like that this (like many of the new superhero toon movies) was not afraid to show a little blood. And I liked a lot of the cast choices. I definitely enjoyed watching this one again.

My Rating:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:54:16 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
Hey, Pete, I appreciate your watching and reviewing Forty Guns...I've been waiting to see what you thought of it.  I thought you might say more about the style...it's definitely not your typical western with its offbeat photography and directing style.  I didn't care much for it myself, but I know others enjoy it a great deal.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
I actually wanted to say more about the style... but wasn't sure how to put my thoughts into words. I mean watching it... it felt different but I couldn't put my finger on it so left it vague.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Title: Wonder Woman: Two-Disc Special Edition
Director: Lauren Montgomery
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Keri Russell
Nathan Fillion
Alfred Molina
Rosario Dawson
Marg Helgenberger

Plot:
On the mystical island of Themyscira, a proud, strong warrior race of Amazon women lives in a utopian civilization shielded from the corrupt world of man. But a betrayal within the Amazon sisterhood leads to the escape of Ares, the God of War, and Amazon Princess Diana must capture him before he unleashes global chaos and destruction. With the aid of cocky fighter pilot Steve Trevor, Diana tracks Ares to the United States for a battle unlike any humankind has ever faced. Alfred Molina, Virginia Madsen, Oliver Platt, Rosario Dawson and David McCallum – infuses thunder and passion into this epic tale of the princess who becomes the World's Greatest Super Heroine.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Featurettes
2 Bonus Cartoons
Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Still finding myself in the mood for Superhero stuff I decided on another animated movie. Basically after the last movie I felt like watching Wonder Woman as I know her best... meaning no flying! I enjoyed this movie just as much this time as I did the first time I watched it a few months ago. This movie is definitely heavier on the violence as well as some suggestive dialog. So it is not one for the kiddies... but I don't think it is to bad... I would say the teens on up would enjoy this movie. One thing I did find a little on the strange side is that you don't hear the name Wonder Woman till the end of the movie. But that is such a minor thing it doesn't matter in the least. The one problem I did have with this movie... and is true about all the animated super hero movies I have seen... is the short run time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »
I actually wanted to say more about the style... but wasn't sure how to put my thoughts into words. I mean watching it... it felt different but I couldn't put my finger on it so left it vague.  :P

Do what I do. Waffle for six paragraphs and eventually you get to what you were trying to say!  :bag: ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 05:57:01 PM »
 :laugh: Will have to remember that.  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
So it is not one for the kiddies... but I don't think it is to bad...
Wonder Woman was never for the kid anyway... Even in her comic book format. A lot of sexual content in it (bondage, sadomasochism,...) sure it was implied but even for a kid it was easy to do one plus one equals two.

And yeah as a kid I liked the comic book, even if it was boring to read the drawing was great ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:34 PM »
So it is not one for the kiddies... but I don't think it is to bad...
Wonder Woman was never for the kid anyway... Even in her comic book format. A lot of sexual content in it (bondage, sadomasochism,...) sure it was implied but even for a kid it was easy to do one plus one equals two.

You've known some strange kids! ??? ;) A lot of comics are subversive, but that doesn't stop them being for kids. Wonder Woman was always a great character.