Author Topic: DCO third annual November Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 202272 times)

richierich

Please post your reviews, discussion, queries etc for Novembers alphabet marathon in this thread.

Thanks
 :thumbup:

richierich

To answer Roger from other thread, there are no rules about whether we watch our titles for this marathon alphabetically. Personally I don't but if i recall correctly some have in the past.

RossRoy

I prefer not watching alphabetically because you end up stuck in a specific sequence of movies, which may or may not offer enough variety to keep it interesting.

snowcat

I prefer not watching alphabetically because you end up stuck in a specific sequence of movies, which may or may not offer enough variety to keep it interesting.

I agree, I think ill be watching mine in a random order also. :D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Is it just me or do we have two threads covering this same project?

Please only use this thread to keep overall track of how well you are doing (If you want to use same table format as mine, click on quote then copy the data, and amend with your films etc). Reviews/discussion/queries to be posted in the 2nd thread.

;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
No difference at all for me since all the movie are from the same genre, but this time it's my favourite and no chance that I will became bored (as it had happen with my horror marathon). At worst I can change a title if I feel for watching something from a different era.

will appear a lot next month :devil:
Chantal
Hope that you will like it as much as I have ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:31:30 PM by Jimmy »

richierich

My only problem is I don't have a feature film that starts with a Z...I think that's the only letter I can say that about.  I do have a few Zorro movie serials (Zorro's Fighting Legion, Zorro's Black Whip) but a serial, if you watch it from start to finish, usually takes 4 hours or more.  THough I am somewhere in the middle of Zorro's Black Whip, having seen my most recent chapter some months ago.  I guess I could go back where I left off...  :laugh:

Rog, don't forget you can be creative and flexible on the lettering order. You can use a title that has Z in it, for example blue blaZes rawden, or in old ariZona

RossRoy

Rich, as far as I know, we can't move posts to another thread. We can only delete them, or split the topic. DJ would have to confirm, so I will not do anything until then.

Unless Roger deletes his own posts.. and re-posts in this thread. Then the problem is moot.

Rogmeister

I will figure something out regarding the Z's...I don't think I have any TV shows that use Z, either...I can only think of a couple there...there was one or two Zorro series, one being a comedy called Zorro and Son, I think...but I've only seen it listed in a book, never the actual show.  

And I have now removed my other posts from the other thread apart from my post where I have my own list of the letters used for this marathon. I notice some list what they plan to watch while others (like me) don't.  I have no idea what I'll watch so it'll be just whatever strikes me at the moment...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:06:50 PM by Rogmeister »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Even though I previously said, that I probably will not try to finish this marathon because of TV shows, I have changed my mind. This month I probably have a record high of watched television episodes (and a record low of watched movies), that I will concentrate on movies in November. And as I have purchased a lot of movies recently, I have a big unwatched pile to bring down.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
I didn't watch them in any certain order last year.  Just whatever I was in the mood for that I could make fit a letter.

I really don't know which ones I'll watch for the most part.

Rogmeister

Tomorrow is Sunday...that usually means football...but it turns out this is the one weekend my football team (the Steelers) has a weekend off so I don't need to see football...so I can get off to a good start.  I'll probably try to get through at least 2 letters tomorrow...then (if I choose) I'll be free to watch the World Series tomorrow night  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
I was off to a good start today. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a wonderfully animated film (my favorite in the series still is A Close Shave, although I haven't seen A Matter of Loaf and Death yet) with good voice acting (Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes among others). If you like the duo this should not disappoint.

Plannig to watch Hardware later today.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Title: Cats & Dogs
Year: 2001
Director: Lawrence Guterman
Rating: PG
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Jeff Goldblum
Elizabeth Perkins
Alexander Pollock
Miriam Margolyes
Myron Natwick

Plot:
They're cunning. They're stealthy. They're waging a top-secret ultra-high-tech struggle for global domination right under our noses. They're...Cats & Dogs!

Witness this epic 'tail' of what happens when an eccentric professor (Jeff Goldblum) makes a discovery that could tip the age-old balance of pet power. Now, an inexperienced young beagle pup named Lou (voiced by Tobey Maguire) is about to begin the ultimate mission im-paws-ible: to save humanity from a total cat-tastrophe! Featuring the voices of Alec Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Jon Lovitz, Charlton Heston and Sean Hayes.

Awards:
ASCAP Awards2002WonTop Box Office FilmsJohn Debney
Golden Raspberry Awards2001WonWorst Supporting ActorCharlton Heston
Young Artist Awards2002NominatedBest Family Feature Film – Comedy
Young Artist Awards2002NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Leading Young ActorAlexander Pollock

Extras:
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Scene Access
Storyboard Comparisons
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Purely some mindless fun. The battle between cats and dogs is secretly fought with high-tech weaponry. It's a nice idea to make the usual bad guys the good guys in this movie (the dogs).

Rating:

snowcat

Tom, they are making a Sequel to Cats and Dogs next year called Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore ...Oh dear.