Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62124 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »

Adventures of Superman
The first superhero created for comic books, SUPERMAN leaped from radio to television when Adventures of Superman debuted in 1952. Produced by Robert J. Maxwell (who also produced the radio version) and Bernard Luber (a veteran of Hollywood serials), each first Seasson Episode screens like a classic crime movie, where danger and death lurk in the shadows. Working with some of the industry's best character actors, George Reeves plays the MAN OF STEEL with a genuineness that captivates viewers of all ages. Now, enjoy this legendary series as never before, digitally mastered from original film elements, in a soaring DELUXE 5-DISC SET WITH EXCITING EXTRAS.
- Allan Asherman, DC Comics Historian

Superman on Earth
Recounts Superman's flight from doomed Krypton, being raised by the Kents, his arrival in Metropolis, and getting hired as reporter Clark Kent at the Daily Planet when scooping Lois on Superman's debut.

My Thoughts:
This is another classic series I loved as a kid. I remember watching the reruns (I am old... but not THAT old!) after school every day. Of course they had to tell Superman's origin story for the pilot episode. It is a great start to the series... even if I am still not used to Clark's parents being named anything other then Jonathan and Martha. While I do understand they did this to match the early comics of the time... it just seems strange to me. I think all the actors did a great job at bringing the characters to life. Definitely a recommended series for any Superman fan!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »

ALF
ALF, the impetuous alien who plummeted from outer space into the Tanner family garage back in '86 is now crash-landing on DVD! Earth has just not been the same without this cosmic superstar and his wisecracking antics!

Catch ALF in all 25 out-of-this-world episodes from the complete first season of his award-winning primetime TV hit.

A.L.F.
Gordon Shumway, last known survivor from the planet Melmac, crash-lands his spaceship into the Tanner family's suburban garage. Willie dubs him "ALF", short for Alien Life Form. After convincing a military officer that they are not harboring a space creature, the Tanners decide to take ALF in as a member of the family.

My Thoughts:
An entertaining sitcom... though not one of my favorites. I think it lost a little something for me over the years as I remember enjoying it more at the time it originally aired. The DVD release while looks good at first glance has is a let down when you realize that the episodes on this release is the syndicated versions instead of the full original episodes.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

Alias
Golden Globe Award-winning* actress Jennifer Garner is Sydney Bristow. Syd's not exactly your average grad student. Her life might appear normal, but she's hiding a secret life working as a spy for the CIA.

Sydney's world is turned upside down when she learns she may work for the very enemy she thought she was fighting. Now she's entangled in a covert lifestyle where she is forced to question the allegiances of everyone, including those closest to her.

Truth Be Told
Grad student Sydney Bristow's unique after-school job as an agent for SD-6, a top-secret division of the CIA, means hiding the truth. After being warned not to share her true identity with Danny, her fiancé, she tells anyway. Her life is spun sideways when he is murdered. If that weren’t enough, she discovers SD-6 is not part of the CIA, but an enemy of the United States, and her own father, Jack, might be a double agent.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I discovered on DVD about when season 3 was originally airing. I was addicted to it from the first episode. Matter of fact once I finished watching season 1 I immediately went online and ordered the second season. It is an excellent show with a great cast. And of course Jennifer Garner looking hot didn't hurt any either! This is another show that after watching the pilot I wanted to continue to watch the series.

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
I can see enjoying Superman or Alias, but Alf?  It's the only case in history where a carpet sample got its own series!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:30 PM »

Alien Nation
As newcomers - fugitive slaves from the planet Tencton - Detective George Francisco and his family face prejudice and intolerance as they struggle to assimilate life on their adopted planet. Together with his human partner, hard-edged Detective Matt Sikes, George walks the beat in Slagtown, Los Angeles, a Newcomer slum teeming with vice and corruption. More than just another cop show or science fiction show, "Alien Nation" utilizes a unique and exciting blend of action, suspense, humor, and social drama to explore the sociology of what it means to be an outsider striving to fit in.

Alien Nation Pilot Movie
As resentment toward the Tenctonese Newcomers builds, Matt Sikes and George Francisco investigate a string of murders that appears to be the work of a giant, insect-like creature.

My Thoughts:
This is a good TV adaptation of the movie. The characters are all likable... and the story is good. If memory serves me they honor all the rules established in the movie. Worth checking out if you liked the movie.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

All in the Family
Those were the days. Norman Lear's landmark comedy featured one of the most beloved families in television history, the Bunkers. Starring Carroll O'Connor as Archie, Jean Stapleton as Edith, Rob Reiner as Mike "Meathead" Stivic and Sally Struthers as Gloria, "All in the Family" remains a Emmy Award-winning treasure. Watch this groundbreaking first season and just try to stifle your laughter!

Meet the Bunkers
It's Edith and Archie Bunker's 22nd wedding anniversary and their daughter Gloria and her husband Mike are planning a surprise Sunday brunch. Edith is pleasantly surprised, however, Archie's "no big deal" attitude leads to a huge argument with his son-in-law on topics ranging from Archie's prejudices, problems with the nation's government and Mike's atheism.

My Thoughts:
While this is a show I always enjoyed... I wouldn't say it is a favorite. I enjoyed it more back when I was younger then I do now. It could be because I have seen it so much over the years and I am just tiring of it. It definitely has it's laughs though. And is a show that you could never get away with airing now a day.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »

American Gothic
Finally, the complete cult hit series American Gothic, produced by Sam Raimi and created by Shaun Cassidy, comes to DVD for the first time ever! Visit Trinity, South Carolina, a small town with more chills than charm. Sheriff Lucas Black (Gary Cole) won't let anyone — including local doctor Matt Crower (Jake Weber) or the determined Gail Emory (Paige Turco) — stand in the way of his evil plans. Marking the 10th anniversary of its broadcast debut and packed with all 22 episodes, including four "lost" ones never broadcast on network television, American Gothic's eerie storylines of intrigue and suspense are sure to hold you captive!

Pilot
A traumatized young girl dies mysteriously, and some suspect the town's charming sheriff, who was the last person to see her alive.

My Thoughts:
This is a show I discovered on DVD after it was recommended to me by several people about 4 years ago. And I enjoyed every minute of it when I watched the series. This is the first time I re-watched an episode since then. And I must admit... I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did then. This is another one of those series that after watching the pilot here today I could watch the entire series again! A great horror/suspense series.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »

Angel
Angel (David Boreanaz), the dashing demon from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," embarks on his own supernatural adventures in Los Angeles. City of Angels. City of Broken Dreams. Between pervasive evil and countless temptations lurking beneath the city's glittery facade, L.A. is the ideal address for a fallen vampire looking to save a few lost souls and, in turn, perhaps redeem his own.

City Of
Newly arrived in Los Angeles, Angel is befriended by a half-demon named Doyle who visions lead him to a powerful vampire whose next victim just may be Cordelia Chase.

My Thoughts:
I remembered when I first heard Angel got his own spinoff... I was concerned it wouldn't be any good. But I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed it a lot. I also liked that they brought Cordelia over. At this point she is still pretty prissy... but they do change that as this show goes on. Her character definitely grows up quite a bit during this show. The pilot episode is a lot of fun. I really liked towards the end when Angel comes to the mansion to save Cordelia... and when he shows up Cordelia comes out with... "You don't know who he is".... "Oh Boy... You are going to get your ass kicked!" LOL. Some reason I love that line every time I see it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »

Arrested Development
In this critically acclaimed hit sitcom, you'll meet the suddenly penniless, and equally clueless, Bluth family. Accustomed to their wildly affluent lifestyle, they can't seem to grasp the fact that now the head of the family (Jeffrey Tambor) is in the slammer for shifty accounting practices–and he's loving every minute of it. Even worse, since the family assets have been frozen, they may actually have to go out and get jobs! The only one who understands the seriousness of their predicament is Michael (Jason Bateman), who realizes it's up to him to guide his eccentric family into this new chapter of their lives: Chapter 11.

PILOT
Moments after Michael Bluth decides he's leaving the family business because he was passed over for a promotion, his father is arrested for shady bookkeeping.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I never seen before. Our good friend Roger sent me over all 3 season sets in one of his DVD care packages. If I remember right... this is a show he wasn't able to get into. And going by just the pilot I can understand that. Maybe this is a series that needs to grow on you... but the pilot alone didn't do it to much for me. I did like the fact that Ron Howard narrated this series. I used to watch him on The Andy Griffith Show as Opie all the time. I did also like Jeffrey Tambor in this also. I remember seeing him in many episodes of Three's Company... as various characters.

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »
Wow, you got a lot of "A" TV series...but, what, no Andy Griffith Show?  :o

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:26 PM »
I only have one "Best Of" release of The Andy Griffith Show... and it don't include the pilot episode. I would love to get the Complete Series set some day... that way I can get the reunion movie as well.

yeah... I have 12 series that starts with "A"

But I have 17 series that starts with "B"!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:13:10 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

richierich

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »
We need a list of what is coming up on your reviews Pete!!! I wanna know what you think of some that I own.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 12:25:47 AM »
Check the very first post in this thread Rich!  ;)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »

Barney Miller
Book 'em for hilarity in the first degree, as BARNEY MILLER: THE FIRST SEASON returns to protect and serve up laughs. Digitally remastered on DVD for the first time, this collector's two-disc set compiles all thirteen hysterical episodes from the first season of the long-running hit series (1975-1982), so you can revisit those laugh-out-loud moments down at the station all over again!

Ramon
Capt. Barney Miller's wife, Elizabeth, tries to talk him into quitting his job and moving to a quieter, more rural area to start a chicken Ranch. Meanwhile, at the police station, a teenage drug addict, Ramon, get's Fish's gun and is holding the squad at bay.

My Thoughts:
This was a series I never really watched that much back in the day. Not the original airing or the reruns. But when I saw the first season on sale cheap I figured what the heck... I will give it a try. Now maybe I just appreciate it more now then when I was a kid... but I found myself enjoying it much more then when I was younger. I still wouldn't say it is a great sitcom... but definitely worth watching. This episode show's Barney's home life more then I remember most the episodes did. I also noticed this episode was only 22min long... which seems highly unlikely for the time it was made... so I am guessing these are the syndicated cuts of the episodes.

My Rating:
Pete

richierich

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »
Check the very first post in this thread Rich!  ;)

:bag: :-[ :bag:
oops thats embarrassing   :laugh: