Author Topic: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon  (Read 77762 times)

Critter

Re: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2010, 05:33:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I will add it to my list of animated films I need to watch. It is a very long list but I am slowly getting there.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »
I don't know if it is planned for a Blu-Ray release, but it is the kind of film that screams for that kind of treatment.

Critter

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2010, 05:37:47 AM »
So are you a Beatles fan or did you just like that film? If you are a fan then what did you think of Across the Universe? I thought it was an interesting film but I'm always looking for real Beatles fans opinions of it, as they are often very... varied.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
The first moment that I can recall in my life, was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan back in February of 1964. I was 3 1/2 at the time. I remember the girls screaming.

Have never seen the film you mentioned though.

Critter

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »
You should check it out sometime, it's a musical based entirley off Beatles songs. I think there is something like 30-40 songs in the whole film. I didn't care for the story too much but I loved the visual look of the film.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2010, 06:52:31 AM »
I sure would watch it if they updated the visuals of Toy Story to, let's say, the standard of Toy Story 3. As long as greedo still shoots first and they don't fill "empty spaces" with new toys it's all good, I say.

Critter

« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
Toy Story 3

Year: 2010

Director(s): Lee Unkrich

Run Time: 103 min

Plot: Woody, Buzz, and the rest of their toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, departs for college.

Cast:
Tom Hanks – Woody
Tim Allen – Buzz Lightyear
Don Rickles – Mr Potato Head
Jim Varney – Slinky Dog
Ned Beatty – Lotso
Joan Cusack - Jessie
Wallace Shawn – Rex
Jodi Benson – Barbie
Michael Keaton - Ken
John Ratzenberger – Hamm
John Morris – Andy

DVD Extras:
•   Saw at Cinema

My Thoughts
The original Toy Story was a film that was never even intended to have a sequel when it was first made, yet here we are 15 years later with two extra films and one of the best film trilogies I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Toy Story 3 achieves something that, even as a long time Pixar fan I would not have thought possible, and that is that it not only lived up to the previous two films, but in my opinion it also surpassed them.

This film literally has everything, but let’s start at the beginning. The opening scene of Toy Story 3 is probably now my favourite opening of any Pixar film. It is exciting and action-packed on a massive scale and reintroduces us to all of our favourite characters in excellent style. Unlike some films though that open with a bang, this one doesn’t falter throughout and keeps us entertained until it’s closing moments.

While watching this film I cried, more than once, I laughed, I was on the edge of my seat and I witnessed quite a few heart-racing moments. To say that Toy Story 3 is an emotional ride is almost an understatement. I saw this film in 3D and I believe it helped to enhance, and not hinder the film. I have always found that 3D works better with animated films and it was used in quite a subtle way, adding another dimension to the film while not being intrusive to our viewing experience.

Along with all the old toys that we have all come to know and love this film introduces us to many new characters, but I never felt like it was too many new faces to handle. One of the new characters in particular I believe to one of Pixar’s best villains ever, but I won’t go into two many details there.

Overall this is certainly one of the best films, if not the best film of the year and I cannot wait to buy it when it comes out on blu-ray. Pixar seem to never let us down and just continue to rise with each film, let us hope that they don’t let us down in the future.

My Rating

W0m6at

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
Have you considered watching some Ralph Bakshi?

Critter

« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
I have seen some Ralph Bashki. I have Wizards and once saw about half of Fire and Ice. I plan to watch more of his films and review them all on here at some point but as you can probably tell, I am an extremly slow reviewer, so who knows when that might be.  :-[

I can tell you know though that from what I have seen I have mixed feelings about Bashki's work. I like the way he mixed with the different mediums in his animation, but from what I saw in Wizards I feel that he was going the wrong way about trying to make adult fantasy animation. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
This film literally has everything, but let’s start at the beginning. The opening scene of Toy Story 3 is probably now my favourite opening of any Pixar film. It is exciting and action-packed on a massive scale and reintroduces us to all of our favorite characters in excellent style.
I have mentioned it before, I think. If you now go back and rewatch the first one it is very interesting to see how similar the openings are.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
This film literally has everything, but let’s start at the beginning. The opening scene of Toy Story 3 is probably now my favourite opening of any Pixar film. It is exciting and action-packed on a massive scale and reintroduces us to all of our favorite characters in excellent style.
I have mentioned it before, I think. If you now go back and rewatch the first one it is very interesting to see how similar the openings are.

I think it is kind of similar to the opening in Toy Story 2 as well..that one has the video game, but it is still an...imagined look at what is going on.

Critter

« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
Yes similar scenes, but I think that the entire train saga was beautifully done, and very excited as well. Certainly my favourite out of the openings.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:53 AM »
Ohh...I forgot to ask before....what did you think of the new short Day & Night?

Critter

« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2010, 03:51:12 AM »
I loved Day & Night, I thought it was beautifully crafted and those final moments with that voice over was magical. The way they combined 2D and 3D animation together was just very clever and the story of those two personalities, completely opposite bonding was fantastic.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:39 AM »
The voice over stuff worked really well. 
I think that is the most creative short Pixar has done.