Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 103018 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2009, 01:06:10 AM »
and probably better than the social worker Hulk :tease:

Najemikon

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
:laugh:

And yeah I seen the new Hulk movie... yeah there is a similar scene at the end of that one too. I liked it a lot as well. Definitely better then the first attempt.  :thumbup:

Nah, can't agree. The first Hulk was fundamentally flawed, but brilliant and ambitious. The Incredible Hulk was just an action movie and although it had some great points, the mistakes it made were stupid and unforgivable.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2009, 02:03:46 AM »
I think we probably disagree because of the Hulk that I watched growing up... I think the new movie appeals more to the people that watched the old TV series then the comics or toons.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2009, 02:24:15 AM »
I think we probably disagree because of the Hulk that I watched growing up... I think the new movie appeals more to the people that watched the old TV series then the comics or toons.

Actually, that's why I was annoyed! Though I read comics, Hulk passed me by except for guest spots in Spider-Man, etc. No, I grew up with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno too. The film had a golden opportunity to really tap into that charm and they blew it because they were scared of losing the teenage audience.

I still liked it. It was lot of fun, but it could have been so much more. That's what you get for hiring the Transporter guy, I suppose. I actually really like the Transporter films, but Louis Letterier was too much action for what is ultimately a very sad character. I missed that sadness that used to come from the TV show. The theme was wonderful...

snowcat

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
So I finally had time to review a film the way I want to tonight :) im just cleaning it up a little, Ive rushed a few recently to get them done but im happy with my next one, im still behind, but ill post this up shortly.

snowcat

« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
American Werewolf in London - 1981
Director - John Landis
Running Time - 97 minutes
Stars: David Naughton, Griffin Dunne, Jenny Agutter

When you think of Werewolves you think the moon, silver bullets and Europe? Well, two out of three ain't bad sings a hairy wolf like Meat Loaf, but that has nothing to do what so ever with this film.  

Yes, as the title suggests American Werewolf in London is in fact set in the Yorkshire Moores, well... It later goes on to be set in London, But I like to be chronological so let's start at the beginning.  So in typical British country bumpkin style David and Jack two back packing Americans find themselves in the back of some type of animal transportation vehicle, sitting in the back with “the girls” or sheep as we British folk would call them, the teenagers discuss where there journey will take them next. Upon arriving at the top of the moores the boys evacuate the vehicle to discover, dun, dun, dun! They have sheep poo on their packs. It could have been worse, Had they been in New Zealand they would have had to contend with zombie sheep A la "Black Sheep" possibly eating there packs and the two of them...Of course this film would have had to be called American Weresheep in New Zealand then.

“American Werewolf” is visually impressive, the makeup is amazing, and in my opinion it bypasses those CGI "Twilight" werewolves, but then that's the thing with CG, "Jurassic Park" dinosaurs looks a thousand times better the Land of the Lost dinosaur. Although something I've found with a few werewolf movies is it turns the character into a flat out wolf, and not a werewolf.  I always pictured Werewolves to be half man, standing on two legs and having some human like qualities, OK I guess he does show his human side towards the end, was that a spoiler?

But don't let my love of the visual side fool you, I love the story too. So David and Jack spot a good ol’ English pub “the slaughtered lamb” and stop by, of course upon arriving they are stared down by the locals who could easily be mistaken for the cast of the British remake of "Deliverance" the boys abruptly leave after asking about the five pointer star painted on the wall, only to hear the deathly cries of some kind of animal, Manbearpig? No, of course it's a werewolf Just as the title suggests.

Written and directed by John Landis of Animal House fame, I was sceptical Ive said before I didn't really “get” Animal House and I was worried about “getting” this film to, well I did get it, I loved it. American Werewolf is my favourite werewolf film, even if it does not fit my werewolf stereotype. The dream sequences are perfect, the humour is brilliant, my favourite part being the victim discussion of how the uhh werewolf should kill himself.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:32:10 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

Najemikon

« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2009, 12:39:11 AM »
Nice.  :D I love An American Werewolf in London too! It's become a site fave. Check out Jimmy's index above and you'll find one from him, me and Pete. In fact, at the time, Pete didn't like giving out 5 stars, but he did do for this...  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2009, 12:54:36 AM »
Nice.  :D I love An American Werewolf in London too! It's become a site fave. Check out Jimmy's index above and you'll find one from him, me and Pete. In fact, at the time, Pete didn't like giving out 5 stars, but he did do for this...  :thumbup:

Talking of that, it owuld be great if you could rate your reviews Emma, so we knew at a glance what you thought of it.  :2cents:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2009, 05:41:11 AM »
Check out Jimmy's index above and you'll find one from him, me and Pete.
Just got a look and the follow up movie (since it was for the 2008 horror marathon) was Wolf Creek... It's sure a bad memory :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2009, 05:55:08 AM »
I just watched it past weekend for the November marathon. It has also always been a favorite of mine, so I gave it a . I think it may have been one of the first movies to introduce me to gore (there is only little though). My favorite bit must be that little bit of loose flesh that dangles below Jack's cheek when he visits David the first time. Instant classic; Rick Baker by the way.

For the hi-def crowd: the recent Blu-ray looks quite good, considering the problems the source material seems to have. Brighter scenes are less sharp and display loads of grain, but darker and the night scenes are very crisp. The Full Moon Edition also has more special features (especially a 90-minute making-of) than the older 2003 release.

snowcat

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »

Talking of that, it owuld be great if you could rate your reviews Emma, so we knew at a glance what you thought of it.  :2cents:

Haha, uhh sorry to be a pain in the arse Rich XD I don't like rating things, one because Im a pretentious writer,  :P two because sometimes I don't now how I would rate them :S I really like some things but don't want to rate them highly.... and im annoying :p

...I should also Mention, I watched the HD version of the film, I didn't think it looked that impressive :S maybe they up scaled again for the Blu-ray.

snowcat

« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
A-Z marathon films im still yet to review
8 Simple Rules season 1
Heartbreak Kid
Lost Boys
Mickey, Donald and Goofy The Three Musketeers
Fargo
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Vantage Point
The Xfiles Movie

...Hope to review these soon!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:47 AM »
...I should also Mention, I watched the HD version of the film, I didn't think it looked that impressive :S maybe they up scaled again for the Blu-ray.
Well, yeah, it's not stunning like, let's say, Blade Runner. I was factoring in an interview I read where John Landis discussed the bad shape of the original negative; considering that I thought that those darker moments where real amzing. Besides, in many dark scenes you now can actually see some details...

Najemikon

« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
Haha, uhh sorry to be a pain in the arse Rich XD I don't like rating things, one because Im a pretentious writer,  :P two because sometimes I don't now how I would rate them :S I really like some things but don't want to rate them highly.... and im annoying :p

I know what you mean. And one of Empire's writers did an article on the dreaded star rating because a lot don't see the point. I wouldn't mind seeing them drop it actually, because it's a red rag to a bull to the really stupid on the Internet. Next time a hyped film comes out, just pop over to their website and read the comments. I guarantee the idiots will be out in force.

I think they're fun though, so I'll always use them. Can't you even compromise and use the official forum ones? Like ":yucky:" or ":thumbup:"

snowcat

« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »
Oh man Empires website  :yucky: (good usage ;P getting in practice)

Ok Lol... just for you guys ('cos I am nice like that :D) I will but a  :yucky: If I dont like it or a  :thumbup: If I do  :tease:
 ;)