Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 103038 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
I have only been skimming this conversation for fear of spoilers... but everyone here does agree Citizen Kane is a must see? I know our local library has a copy... I may borrow it and check it out before too long.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2009, 12:22:09 AM »
I'd love to hear what you thought of it, Pete, though it is dry. If you'd have asked us before you'd seen Curse of the Cat People, I'd have probably said not at all. But that was more of a drama than anything else... so maybe. Obviously no ghosts or other fantasy elements, but it is a brilliant story, with a lot of heart and what always gets lost in discussions like this is just how fantastic Orson Welles was as an actor. Pure charisma and a commanding presence.

Actually, see if they have The Third Man. It's more accessible, as it is a thriller, a natural progression from your Val Lewtons and can act as a springboard to Citizen Kane. Still, though, I would love to hear what you think of Kane! Especially if it's free.  :thumbup:

Sorry, Emma, I don't mean to jump in on your thread again! It's just I recently twisted Pete's arm into a Val Lewton boxset, so he's just getting into more classics. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2009, 12:35:43 AM »
Thanks Jon... if I get the chance to maybe I will see if either/both of those movies is available for this coming weekend.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
Going by their website our local library has Citizen Kane... but not The Third Man
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2009, 05:47:46 AM »
Thanks Emma, I think I understand what you mean by "open end" now.

I always thought that it's mainly because he seemed to have been robbed of an "innocent" youth, turning to business too early, and he missed that and wished it had been otherwise. Hence Xanadu with all the toys...

snowcat

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
That cool Jon! im gonna be honest, id recommend it but not because of its status, I quite liked the character of Kane, I thought he symbolised something ;P of course, that does not change my view on its "greatest ever status"

:p Thats cool Achim! glad somebody understands me  :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
Sorry, Emma, I did mean to reply before, but don't be concerned, I did understand you!  :laugh:

But stop referencing it as "greatest film ever made" as way of criticising it! I never call it that and I adore it. It instantly holds it up for judgement, especially by yourself, when it should be taken on its own terms. The next time you see it (all great films should be seen multiple times ;)) give it a chance to impress you just because it is what it is.

I only say that because it's always been a fault of mine to react badly to hype. If someone tells me "this is the best thing ever in whole world!", I instantly mistrust it. I tend to have to ignore things until the hype (or extreme opposite) dies down and then I can enjoy it.

Ironically, in the case of Citizen Kane, people like Sight And Sound who pushed the idea it was the finest film ever made, may have been over-compensating because of how Welles was treated. He made a fool of the studios making that film and they never let him have full control again. Before home video, people needed more persuasion to venture out to the cinema to see re-screened oldies.

snowcat

« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
¬_¬ ahh! im starting to worry I won't finish my A-Z marathon :/ I have 3 reviews to write and about 13 DVDs to watch! I have such a busy week, tonight I have to show people around the college, Wednesday night sill Christmas late night shopping starts so im at work! and then Thursday Im going to a local short film night!

I will try my best though :p even if im still writing reviews in December! ;P good job ive written notes!

snowcat

« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
Hopefully by Saturday i will have written reviews for the following films from my Marathon!

Ironman
The 3 Musketeers (Mickey Donald and Goofy)
Cheeper by the Dozen
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
American Werewolf in London
(and If I finish watching it tonight Lost Boys.)

snowcat

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Cheaper by the Dozen – 2003
Director – Shawn Levy
Running Time – 98 minutes
Stars: Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, Hilary Duff, Tom Welling, Ashton Kutcher

To me having 12 children sounds like an insurance scam, long since are the times when people in the western world have needed big families to provide for them.

Cheaper by the Dozen follows Tom and Kate Baker (Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt) Tom grew up on a farm with a large family whilst Kate had a lonely childhood, the two meet in college and fall in love, shortly after they are married Kate finds she is pregnant, this child is followed by 11 more, including  two sets of twins.

So back to the present and 11 of the kids are still living at home, they all seem to be working together as a team except one small ginger boy who wears glasses, his appearance is different to the other kids and they have nicknamed him “Fed Ex” because “The Fed Ex man must have dropped him off” we shortly find out that Tom has been offered his dream job, whilst Kate's book has found a publisher. They move from there country house to a town where they don't seem to fit in. Upon arrival Kate finds she will be going on a book tour and will be leaving Tom alone with the kids, but will he be able to juggle his new job and 11 kids?

I was very surprised by this film, I watched the sequel in the cinema before I had seen this one, I didn't really enjoy it I found it boring and un-funny. But this was brilliant, a great family film with a few laughs added in, Ashton Kutcher seems to be mocking himself which was quite funny, and the interaction between the children is great. Cheaper by the Dozen is a film I will definitely watch again, and for those who haven't seen it id recommend it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:17:43 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

snowcat

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – 1988
Director – Frank Oz
Running Time – 110 Minutes
Stars: Steve Martin, Michael Caine, Glenne Headly, Ian McDiarmid, Dana Ivey

Con artists are often the targets of films, however men who target wealthy women are not... Well, unless you look at Bedtime Story, which I hear Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a slight remake of.

Lawrence Jamieson (Michael Caine) is a sophisticated master con artist targeting women on the french riviera. Watched carefully by his police inspector friend Inspector Andre, who naturally expects a small percentage of his earnings. Lawrence's only problem seems to be a new threat, a mysterious con artist named “The Jackal”

Lawrence bumps into Freddie Benson (Steve Martin) on a train, upon over hearing a conversation he has with a woman, he discovers that Freddie is in the same game, annoyed by the competition, Lawrence sets a trap, which backfires, Freddie later turns up on Lawrence's doorstep. Requesting that Lawrence show him his ways Freddie stays, Lawrence agrees and Freddie becomes part of Lawrence's act, used only to scare women away from marriage. In a hotel the two discover Janet a wealthy American heiress, and so Freddy sets a challenge who ever can get $50,000 first is allowed to stay in the wealthy Beaumont-sur-Me

I laughed so much through this film I had tears in my eyes, I love Steve Martin and Michael Caine and this film showed their comic talents brilliantly. The comedy is only surpassed by its story although a based on another film, I did not predict the ending, maybe I was being naive? Maybe I was laughing too much to notice.

snowcat

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
Iron man – 2008
Director – Jon Faveru
Running Time – 126 minutes
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow

“I am Ironman” sing a Paranoid Black Sabbath in the 1970’s just 7 years after the creation of Marvel Superhero Iron Man in Tales of Suspense #39. As a kid I loved the Iron Man cartoon (Marvel Power Hour, anyone?) and the comic, Iron Man was one of my favourite superheroes because he was vulnerable, he wasn’t Invincible like Batman or Superman, contrary to what his comic title suggested “Invincible Iron Man”  Iron Man battled with alcoholism and other personal difficulties, which made him seem more real. I stopped reading Iron man in the late 90's after the collapse of Marvel. Although Iron Man had featured greatly in the Avengers comics I was never a fan and so fell out of touch with him, but with the release of the Iron Man movie the series was rebooted and a new Invincible Iron Man comic released, I picked this up before seeing the film, I was impressed, Iron Man was finally back on form.

Iron Man is just one in a line of superheroes who have received the movie treatment over the last few years although like any superhero franchise that has been around for 40 years naturally there are many origins and stories surrounding the character, in the comic world reboots are natural, it’s a way to draw new blood in, I didn’t read Ultimate Iron Man until after I watched the film but I can see that it was the Ultimate’s origin that the story got its main idea.

The Iron Man film starts in regular 12A fashion Tony Stark who should be attending an awards ceremony is out on an evening of debauchery whilst his late father’s business partner Obadiah Stane accepts the award on his behalf,  Stark is are to Stark Industries a large multinational weapons manufacturer.

Tony is sent to Afghanistan, here he tries to liaise with the officers but is caught in an explosion, he wakes up to find he has been captured and is attached to a car battery, the battery is plugged into an electro magnet which is keeping shards of metal from reaching his heart. He is told by Dr Yinsen a fellow captive that the device is keeping him alive. Tony Stark is then ordered to create a weapon of mass destruction for his captives, who show him plans for a Stark industries weapon and give him Stark Industry supplies, it seems Stark Industries have been double dealing, oh dear.

Stark decides instead to create his Iron Man costume, but will he be able to escape the Taliban and save both himself and Dr Yinsen? Of course he will, this is a superhero movie.

I was surprised by this film, I thought I would dislike it because it strayed from the origin I knew so well, but as with most of the superhero movies I enjoyed it regardless, I was surprised by the story, I did not imagine id see an appearance from the Ironmonger, but then I was expecting War Machine until Terrence Howard said “maybe next time” although it seems there will not be a next time for Howard as Don Cheadle is set to take his place in the sequel, I personally see this as a casting decision in the right direction I didn’t feel Howard was right for the character, although the strongest image of Terrence Howard for me is his character in Crash. I love Robert Downey Jr and I think this is one of his defining roles, one he will definitely be remembered for. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang changed my perception of his acting skills and this changed my perception of him being a one trick comedic pony.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:00:50 AM by Emma (snowcat) »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
I really liked the Iron Man movie too! Unlike you I didn't know too much about the character before the movie though. BTW... did you stick with it and see the scene after the credits? I made that mistake the first time I watched it. I had to go back to see the final scene! And it is worth it too! :)
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
I really liked the Iron Man movie too! Unlike you I didn't know too much about the character before the movie though. BTW... did you stick with it and see the scene after the credits? I made that mistake the first time I watched it. I had to go back to see the final scene! And it is worth it too! :)

Yeah! id been warned in advance about that one :p it made me laugh so much though!
(click to show/hide)

Have you seen the Hulk movie? (new one) I hear there is a similar scene at the end of that too!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
 :laugh:

And yeah I seen the new Hulk movie... yeah there is a similar scene at the end of that one too. I liked it a lot as well. Definitely better then the first attempt.  :thumbup:
Pete