Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 102978 times)

snowcat

Re: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Id like to see a Tarantino musical  :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »
No it won't work the movies are too known to be stolen. But Catalina Caper, The Apple, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Sextette could be used for an homage ;D

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
No it won't work the movies are too known to be stolen. But Catalina Caper, The Apple, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Sextette could be used for an homage ;D

:laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
 :bag:

This... is starting to worry me.  ;)

snowcat

« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
Its been a very long time since I posted a review, but later today I have two university interview, one for Media Production and one for Journalism...

Ive spent the last two weeks getting stuff published, creating a show reel and taking print screens of my work on the net 0_0 Its been driving me mad... but hopefully by the end of the day I will have my place.

As I was silly and messed up two yeas of my life, I will be going to university at the nice old age of 21 0_0 ...scary thought...

Tonight! I will write at least one review... hopefully more :/ but I also have to attend my grandmas Pizza party (shes 80)

snowcat

« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »
The 40 year old Virgin
Directed by:  Judd Apatow
Running Time:  Theatrical Cut: 116 minutes / Uncut version:  133 minutes
Stars:  Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, Seth Rogen

It seems to have become socially unacceptable to be a virgin past a certain age, statistics show that in America half of high school students and one in five middle school students said they have had sexual intercourse. Steve Carell finds himself aged 40 and a virgin, but to quote the film “How did this happen?”
The 40 Year Old Virgin stars Steve Carell in what I would describe as his first lead roll, here he plays Smart Tech stock supervisor Andy, hobbyist and virgin. Seen as the nice guy, who's possibly a murderer by his colleagues, out of desperation David (Paul Rudd), Jay (Romany Malco) and Cal (Seth Rogen) invite Andy to a poker game.

It is here as the guys discuss there weirdest sexual experiences, that Andy nervousness and description of a woman's breasts quickly cast realisations in the guys brains that Andy is in fact a virgin.

The next day David, Jay and Cal make it their job to get Andy “laid” but will love find him in time? Or will he just “run through a few of those hoodrats”

The 40 Year Old Virgin, is the type of film that will never win an Oscar or BAFTA, It will not be praised by critics or those who “know film” It needs to be treated as a brainless comedy, turn of your brain, don't analyse it and enjoy.

I'm a big fan of Judd Apatow, and this directorial debut is as just as funny as his other films. Whilst it can be argued that films directed by Judd are longer than most comedies, and whilst I can see that parts of this film could have been cut for time, they are nowhere near as long as the parts id have cut from Knocked Up or Funny People.

When this film was released it stared a little known cast and a first time director, I think it was probably passed by because of this, over in England Steve Carell was known for his roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty, and Judd Apatow was unheard of. I think this film put them both on the “comedy” map.
What makes this film funny is not just Carell’s performance but that of his colleagues who all seem to have their own relationship problems take David who is still in love with his ex girlfriend even though they broke up two years earlier, or Jay a womanizer who is scared of his woman. Full of belly laughs, I challenge any comedy fan to get through this film with a straight face.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:27:51 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

snowcat

« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
In preparation for the release of my favourite bands new album I will be watching the 4 DVDs I own of theirs.

snowcat

« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »
Introduction

Barenaked Ladies are my favourite band and have been for a while. And Whilst most of you will know them for singing the Big Bang Theory theme, I Found accidently when I was looking for the song “One Week” made famous by many a high school movie soundtrack, I found there greatest hits. I had their greatest hits for a long time before I finally listened to them. One upon recommendation from a friend I listened to the song “Pinch Me” I loved it, it was perfect, it summed up how I felt about those mundane lonely evenings, the lyrics “On an evening such as this, it’s hard to tell if I exist” stuck in my head, I ended up listening to the entire greatest hits, i instantly fell in love with the band and acquired the rest of their albums, I slowly fell in love with those too and bought everyone of their albums. Currently I have all of their albums (bar the new one I have pre-ordered) Some I have 2 or even 3 copies of,  I have EP’s, Singles and there demo tape (on cassette) I am still desperately trying to get some singles on CD, 7inch and Cassette but finding it harder and harder to acquire them.

It’s scary to find a band with 20 years of music experience and 15 or so albums and not find one song you don’t like. Every one of their songs means something different to me, some make me laugh, and some make me cry, but everyone is special to me.

The DVD’s take me back to a point in my life where I imagined I would be somewhere different right now, the lead singer was still with the band and my relationships with people were alot different, so much has changed since I watched these DVD’s that certain songs became unbearable to watch, All will be revealed as I go on.

So sit back and wait a few days and enjoy my trip back to my early “teenage” years (not that they are very far behind me) Although I listen to these songs all the time on my Ipod, the feeling of watching the performances and music videos is dramatically different and as I said raises completely different meanings, at times when I could not sleep I would sit and watch these DVDs until the early hours of the morning often falling asleep with them on in the background.

As weird and clichéd as it sounds, this band helped me through some rough points and continues to do so. I have not watched these DVDs for a few years and I have only watched one video on one DVD so far but already The only way I can describe the feeling I get when I watch these DVDs is to say I feel depressingly nostalgic, but with a deep sense of calm.

And so, reviews to follow.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #263 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
I first was introduced to Barenaked Ladies through the movie "10 Things I Hate About You". I really enjoyed the song "One Week". Because of this I bought the Best-of, on which I enjoy all songs. My favourite is "Pinch Me". But also "If I Had a $1.000.000 Dollars" is a song I still find funny. Even though I really enjoy their songs on this album, I don't have anything else from them. Except for one DVD with all their videos plus concert footage.
Edit: I just noticed. I have two DVDs. "The Barelaked Nadies" and "The Barenaked Truth".

Do you know Weird Al Yankovic's song "Jerry Springer", which is based on "One Week"? I love this parody song.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:40:17 PM by Tom »

RossRoy

« Reply #264 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Do you know Weird Al Yankovic's song "Jerry Springer", which is based on "One Week"? I love this parody song.

It's been one week since we got to see
cheatin' lovers and cousins that marry
five days since they had the show
with the hermaphrodite the slut and the crack ho
three days since we heard the tale
about the guy who learned his woman was a she-male
yesterday it occurred to me
that I've been watchin' a bit too much Jerry Springer

Never thought I'd remember that first verse so vividly...
Today, it occured to me, I've been listening to a bit much to Weird Al Yankovic  :-[

snowcat

« Reply #265 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
Tom :p those are two of the 4 DVDs I own.

Lol, I do love Weird Al, the first song I heard of his was Smells like Nirvana, my favourite song by has to be Cavity Search... although I really love Jurassic Park and all of the Polkas

Rogmeister

« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
I like Weird Al.  I am not sure what my favorite song by him is, but one I do like a lot is "eBay".  It's hilarious...and very true to life if you've ever used eBay as I have in the past.

RossRoy

« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
I think my favourite Weird Al song these days is "Don't Download This Song".. guess what it's about?

With solid gold humbee and diamond laced swimming pools hahaha

snowcat

« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
Barenaked Ladies Marathon

Barenaked In America
Directed by: Jason Priestley
Running time: Barenaked In America: 92 Minutes/Stunt Tour: 46 minutes
Stars: Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Ed Robertson, Tyler Stewart, Steven Page, Chris Brown

I honestly had a hard time starting this review, I was worried my writing would not do it justice, something I always feel when I review films I love.
Barenaked in America is a part documentary part live performance that follows the band “Barenaked Ladies” Funny, emotional and now very nostalgic, the documentary follows the band as they prepare for their 1998 “Stunt tour” The film is a behind the scenes look at the band, there hopes, fears and wants for the future.

As I have said before, the band is very important to me, they are my favourite band, and since January according to my Last.fm Itunes scribbler (which doesn’t always work) I have listened to their songs over 600 times. Often over listening to a song stops you from liking it, it’s the complete opposite with these guys... the more I listen, the more I love them.

Beginning in 1988, the band released their first demo tape in 1989, it was called Buck Naked and contained just 4 tracks. Sadly I don’t own it, but if I ever found it, and had enough money I would buy it straight off. However in 1991, there demo tape known as “The Yellow Tape” probably there easiest to find demo tape, which I do own, gave them the press they needed to get a record deal.

From this point until there 98 Stunt tour, the band lost a member and gained another. It is during this documentary that the band explain that their newest member Kevin Hearn, who joined just as they recorded the Stunt album, became ill towards the end of the recording, only to find he had leukaemia and would not be able to be on the tour.

The documentary looks inside a band that is just about to hit mainstream America, after their release of number one single “One Week” the film deals with the bands reaction to Kevin Hearn’s cancer as well as how much has changed for them recently. 

The film has a sombre mood, maybe a reflection of the way the guys felt during filming, humbled by the sudden surge in popularity but worried for their friend who should have been sharing this experience with them. Starting at the bands roots when they were unable to even make a music video until a friend recorded them playing in what looks like a photo booth then band shows how pure determination and musical ability can take you far.

I think with this type of documentary people think, “it’s for the fans” I couldn’t agree less with this one, I think it’s an interesting, insightful documentary not just into the band, but into what it’s like to be in a band that’s about to hit it big. I recommend this documentary, I’m sure this documentary create new fans.

What makes this documentary so sad now is the togetherness of the band, they joke together, they look so happy, they discuss how they met Ed Robertson when talking about the bands future even says “I can see another 10 or another 20 years easily as long as it continues to be a good environment.” Sadly in 2009 Steven Page left the band, but the others continue on, releasing a new album on March 29th. I hope the band do last another 10 or 20 years, and I hope that maybe when it’s not so raw, if you have heard there new song you will see how raw the feelings still are I hope that one day Steve can return and play with the band on occasion.

venomsinner

« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
:P you missed half the DVD off!