Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 103039 times)

snowcat

Re: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
Lol... Jon, fair enough if you don't like musicals... However I personally think its wrong to hate a film without seeing it regardless of genre. :tease:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
To anyone who prejudges this film leave your preconceptions at the door and give it a chance.  

Good grief, no.

:hysterical:

Nothing against your very good review, Emma, but I just find this side of Disney to be soulless. Not to mention I don't like musicals at the best of times. :shrug:

I have to agree, I'd rather have bamboo splints rammed beneath my fingernails than sit through a musical. :bag: :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
Lol... Jon, fair enough if you don't like musicals... However I personally think its wrong to hate a film without seeing it regardless of genre. :tease:

I've seen enough of it thank you! If I see that sodding "We're fly-iiiing!" clip one more time, I think I will scream!

I have to agree, I'd rather have bamboo splints rammed beneath my fingernails than sit through a musical. :bag: :laugh:

Bamboo splints sounds far more interesting!

snowcat

« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
Hmm, whilst I admit that Disney is focusing far too much on churning out rubbish on the "Hollywood Records" I did enjoy this film... however the sequels especially the second one was very weak... I hear they are making a 4th with no original cast... now that is milking something.

Although I would class most Disney films as musicals.... anything against regular 'ol Disney films?  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
It depends of the musical.... I like those 2

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »

But then again, I'd watch a musical before a Tarantino film.  :tease:  :hysterical: :tomato:

Najemikon

« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »
But then again, I'd watch a musical before a Tarantino film.  :tease:  :hysterical: :tomato:

See, now you're just limiting yourself!  :laugh:

Although I would class most Disney films as musicals.... anything against regular 'ol Disney films?  :P

Disney animation pre-1980, I enjoy. Aristocats, Jungle Book, Snow White, etc. The songs felt more organic and the characters more true. But I can't understand the obsession with The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin.

snowcat

« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
I love the Lion King, there is just something about it... Im not a fan of the princesses so Snow White was never a film I fully enjoyed...

Scar is a great villain... in fact Scar and Clayton (from Tarzan) are tied for my two favourite Disney villains... even there deaths are terrifying.

I think there is alot to learn about pride and how it cane be a bad thing from this film... but maybe its a childhood thing? The Lion King was the first Disney film I saw at the cinema, It is one of the most vivd memoreis I have of my childhood... when children get to a certain age they see Disney as being to young for them... at that point in my life The Lion King was one of the few disney films I remember the story of... the other were Aladdin and Jungle Book... of course now I have re watched them all a few times and things have changed I appreciate Sleeping Beauty alot more then I did.. but anyway back on track..

It seems you did not enjoy anything from the Disney Renaissance then Jon?

snowcat

« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Fun with Dick and Jane – 2005
Director – Dean Parisot
Running Time – 87 minutes
Stars: Jim Carrey, Téa Leoni, Alec Baldwin, Richard Jenkins

Often I have no problem with remakes, after all Ive not even seen the 70’s version of Fun with Dick and Jane. This is a Jim Carey film and so I was sceptical, I find Jim very hit and miss I either hate his films or love them, this one had the added factor of being written by Judd Apatow.

As I said before I have not seen the original, but this modern day version which I'm guessing is very much in the same vain is still very appropriate now, with all the financial problems we are facing I was surprised by its realism especially as it stared Jim Carey. Now let me go back to that word realism, some of you will have seen this film and think I'm crazy however, the realism part comes in the middle as the family start to loose possessions  the sons reaction as the television is taken is supposed to be funny. But I think shows the reality of parents losing their jobs.

I felt this film did not get entertaining until about 50 minutes in, this is the point where the film becomes unrealistic and alot funnier. So back to the plot, the story follows Dick (Jim Carey) as he gets a promotion at Globodyne a company much like Enron in its failings. Dick is chosen to go on to a program called Money Talk it is here he is caught unawares and causes the secrets of Globodyne to be revealed causing all manner of problems, which climax with robberies and scams.

Fun with Dick and Jane is not a great film, it's a fun film, but even the fun for me didn't start until 50 minutes or so into the film, however I did very much enjoy the last half, I tend to be dissatisfied with endings a lot of the time, I was surprised at how satisfying this ending was. Something else I liked about this film was the performances by Alec Baldwin and Richard Jenkins two actors I always love in there film roles.

Whilst I probably would not recommend this film to just anyone, fans of Jim Carey, and those looking for an average comedy film should go ahead and watch it. Another plus side to the film is its very family friendly for a film in this category there is little swearing and barley any sexual references. And of course the physical comedy Carey is known for is ever present something kids and adults alike can enjoy. So overall, a good family film but not one ill watch again... well, maybe ill just skip to the second half.

Najemikon

« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
It seems you did not enjoy anything from the Disney Renaissance then Jon?

Not really, unless you're counting Pixar!  ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:22 AM »

:hmmmm: ...now what if Tarantino made a Musical? :headscratch:

Najemikon

« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »

I'd be very unlikely to like it! Unless he had someone :whistle: massacre the performers...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
But then again, I'd watch a musical before a Tarantino film.  :tease:  :hysterical: :tomato:

See, now you're just limiting yourself!  :laugh:

I'd be very unlikely to like it! Unless he had someone :whistle: massacre the performers...

No, it would be more like...

TWINKLETOES!
A Musical by Quentin Tarantino

Noriko has always wanted to be a DANCER!
But life has not been kind to the nubile nymph...
Sold into sexual slavery at the age of seven...
To keep her sanity she
practiced!, practiced!, practiced!...
The dance steps that set her dreams free...
All the while honing the techniques of a deadly ninja assassin...
Biding her time, waiting for the time to strike...
...back at those who cast her away...
...back at those who used her for so long...
and all who stood in her way!...
Now they'll pay the price as she dances...

...on their graves!!!!!!

What do you think, Jon?

He could steal from All That Jazz, I Spit on Your Grave! and Pretty Woman:tease: :hysterical: :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:09:18 PM by Antares »

Najemikon

« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
 :slaphead:

How silly! Tarantino is true to whichever genre he picks and so it would obviously be an absolutely genuine typical show, but with an irreverent twist. Blimey, he could remake The Sound of Music... I might like that!  :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
You have to admit, the title would be all him, you know, the foot fetish.  ;)  :laugh: