Author Topic: Dragonfire's Halloween/Horror Marathon 2009  (Read 54085 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dragonfire's Halloween/Horror Marathon 2009
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »
The Evil Dead

In the summer of 1979, a group of Detroit friends with $375,000 raised from local investors headed for a cabin outside of Morristown, Tennessee to make a film about five college students possessed by an ancient 'Book of the Dead.' The filmmakers' goal was to create 'The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror,' a movie so relentless that it would stand forever as a landmark in modern horror history. When it was released in 1982, it was immediately recognized worldwide as one of the most ferociously original horror films ever made. Twenty years later, this is THE EVIL DEAD like you've never seen or heard it before.

THE EVIL DEAD is now more grueling than ever, featuring newly restored state-of-the-art digitally remastered picture and sound, and loaded with incredible new extras, all personally supervised by director Sam Raimi. This is the Ultimate Edition of the legendary film that launched the careers of Raimi, producer Robert Tapert and star Bruce Campbell, unleashed an unprecedented army of primitive screwheads upon the world and changed the face of horror forever.

My Thoughts

I've heard things about this movie for a few years, but I had never seen it before.  Things do start off a little slow, but that just allows for setting up the characters and the situation.  A decent amount of tension is built up by the time things start happening.  I think the plot is interesting, and more unique than the plots of many other horror movies.  It does have a low budget look, but that manages to work with what is happening.  The effects are very effective, especially the makeup for certain characters.  The violence isn't too bad really, though the movie does get gory at times.  The movie really doesn't have much in the way of mystery, though I did feel like several scenes were suspenseful and I was frequently unsure of what was going to happen next. 

Overall I really enjoyed this movie.  I want to try to get the 2 sequels at some point.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

The Evil Dead

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »
Shaun the Sheep Little Sheep of Horrors

What’s black and white and goes bump in the night? Don’t be scared – it’s your woolly friend, Shaun the Sheep™!  Join Shaun as he leads his fearless flock through six adventures that mix the spooky, the kooky, and the just plain funny.  A troublesome tractor, freaky farm noises, and sleepwalking sheep are only a few of the weird and wonderful surprises waiting for Shaun and his barnyard pals as they creep, sneak and make mayhem in this laugh-filled collection.

My Thoughts

This is a cute collection of episodes of Shaun the Sheep.  Only two of them really have somewhat creepy stories, though some odd things are happening in all of them.  When I got the DVD, I was thinking that all the episodes fit in with being a bit scary or creepy because of the title.  Even though only 2 of them fit the theme I expected, I was still entertained and enjoyed this.  The episodes are cute, even the creepier ones, and there is a decent amount of humor in them.  They are created with the same type of stop motion animation with clay figures as most of the other Aardman projects.  Shaun, the main sheep character who seems to always be starting things, is the sheep from A Close Shave, a Wallace & Gromit short.  I do think that people who like Wallace & Gromit may also like this.  It is a cute, family friendly viewing choice.

I did get a review posted on Epinions...I rounded up for 5 stars for it since I can't do half stars there.

Shaun the Sheep: Little Sheep of Horrors

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer

Ever since he watched monsters brutally slaughter his family during a childhood camping trip, local plumber Jack Brooks (Trevor Matthews) has had major anger management issues. But when a busted pipe disturbs an ancient evil, Jack will unwittingly unleash a force that transforms his kindly night school professor (Robert 'FREDDY KRUEGER' Englund) into a ravenous, tentacled, infectious beast from Hell. Even if Jack can no longer run from the demons of his past, can he at least hack them to pieces before they devour his entire class? Rachel Skarsten (BIRDS OF PREY) and James A. Woods co-star in this over the top international film festival sensation that Fangoria hails as "a gore oozing homage to wild and crazy 80s horror!"

My Thoughts

I picked this one up last year after reading a few reviews of it.  The movie has a unique plot that manages to work well.  Jack is mostly interesting with his rage issues and how he attempts to deal with them.  The smallest things will set him off.  He is dating Eve, a woman who has to be one of the most annoying women in the world.  The effects are a bit more low budget, but that works wonderfully well, especially the fact that the creature isn't CGI..it is a puppet or someone in a suit or something.  The movie isn't nonstop violence and gore, which may disappoint some people, especially considering the title includes the phrase Monster Slayer.  Much of the movie is set up, explaining why Jack has anger issues, along with showing how the professor goes from being a kind man into a people eating monster.  The last part of the movie is more focused on the monster slayer, and it is very well done.  The violence and gore may be too much for some people.  The thing that bothered me was when the professor threw up..that was grosser than anything to me.  

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie.  I've read that the writer is working on a second movie.

I don't have a review posted on Epinions yet, but I want to do one.  

I have gotten a review of the movie posted on Epinions.

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:34:31 PM by Dragonfire »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
Overall I really enjoyed this movie.  I want to try to get the 2 sequels at some point.
Even if I'm certain that all the others will tell you that I'm wrong, don't loose your time with the others two. Evil Dead 2 is the same film made as a stupid slapstick comedy and Army of Darkness is even stupider than Evil Dead 2. The first one is great and probably one of the best low budget horror movie ever made...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:35:56 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »
 :laugh:

Marie, you can find my Evil Dead 2 review here and it started a small dicussion with Jimmy then. It is a great film. Army of Darkness is fun too (one of our newbies was obviously inspired by it) but not as good as the first two.

It's important to take each one on their own terms. Part 2 plays more for laughs and Part 3 is more fantasy.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
While I basically agree with Jon Evil Dead II is practically a remake and could be skipped in marathon.

Army of Darkness almost has a PG-13 feel and is played for fun.

Groovy!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »
Scream

The smash hit that transformed the horror genre into a phenomenon, Scream also launched the careers of some of today's brightest stars!

After a series of mysterious deaths, an offbeat group of friends get caught up in a lively mix of thrills and chills! With hot stars Drew Barrymore (Ever After), Courteney Cox (TV's Friends), Neve Campbell (54), Skeet Ulrich (As Good As It Gets) and David Arquette (Beautiful Girls).

Now you can experience this edge-of-your-seat thriller like never before with the Dimension Collector's Series on DVD.

My Thoughts

I know I might get some flack for this one, but I do enjoy it.  This was actually the first real slasher movie that I watched all the way through that wasn’t edited for television.  The plot is interesting and I think there is a decent amount of mystery to it and some suspenseful scenes.  I was somewhat surprised by how things worked out the first time I saw the movie and the twist makes sense and didn’t just come out of left field.  I didn’t think the movie was that predictable. The killer isn’t some sort of unkillable fiend or monster.  There is violence throughout the movie, though I don’t think it is excessively violent or gory.  A little bit of humor pops up here and there, usually from things that Randy says.  There is a small amount of romance provided by the relationship between Sydney and her boyfriend, but that doesn’t take over the movie.  The characters are fine, though none of them are extremely interesting.  The acting is fine, though Matthew Lillard annoys me throughout the movie.  I think the movie is worth checking out for people who like horror movies.

I did get a review posted on Epinions last year.

Scream

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
The Monster Squad

You know who to call when you have ghosts, but who do you call about monsters? Whether it's a bat in your belfry or a mummy in your microwave, THE MONSTER SQUAD ain't afraid of no ghouls!

Count Dracula has until midnight to retrieve an ancient amulet that will give him final control over the delicate balance between good and evil in the world. To help him, the creepy count calls on some old friends: the weird Wolfman, grotesque Gill-Man, mildewed Mummy and freaky Frankenstein. As the ghoulish group gets closer to the amulet, it's up to THE MONSTER SQUAD, headquartered in the local tree house, to pool its questionable resources and stop the monster mayhem!

My Thoughts

I decided to pick this movie up last year after reading a few reviews.  I don’t think I had seen it back when it first came out.  It is fun and entertaining and makes a good choice for families.  The plot is interesting and it does seem like the movie was at least somewhat inspired by the older monster movies.  There is a decent amount of humor to what is going on.  I didn’t really think the movie was scary, though some things that happen might upset younger children even though it is fairly tame.  Some of what happens is a bit silly or corny, but it works and makes for a more entertaining movie.  I think it is has held well and is still worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions last year.

Monster Squad

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
Scream

I know I might get some flack for this one, but I do enjoy it.  This was actually the first real slasher movie that I watched all the way through that wasn’t edited for television.  The plot is interesting and I think there is a decent amount of mystery to it and some suspenseful scenes.  I was somewhat surprised by how things worked out the first time I saw the movie and the twist makes sense and didn’t just come out of left field.  I didn’t think the movie was that predictable. The killer isn’t some sort of unkillable fiend or monster.  There is violence throughout the movie, though I don’t think it is excessively violent or gory.  A little bit of humor pops up here and there, usually from things that Randy says.  There is a small amount of romance provided by the relationship between Sydney and her boyfriend, but that doesn’t take over the movie.  The characters are fine, though none of them are extremely interesting.  The acting is fine, though Matthew Lillard annoys me throughout the movie.  I think the movie is worth checking out for people who like horror movies.

I don't see why you would get flack. It deserves respect, though I think it has dated badly. The ending was pretty cool when the killer was finally revealed, but all those film references so weak.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »
Twilight

Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) doesn’t expect much when she moves to the small town of Forks, Washington, until she meets the mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) — a boy who’s hiding a dark secret: he’s a vampire. As their worlds and hearts collide, Edward must battle the bloodlust raging inside him as well as a coterie of undead that would make Bella their prey. Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling sensation by Stephenie Meyer, Twilight adds a dangerous twist to the classic story of star-crossed lovers.

My Thoughts

I read the book and liked it well enough, though I didn’t think it was great.  I think there are issues with the book and there are issues with the movie.  The pacing seems a bit off, with it seeming like some things happening really fast, while other things drag on a bit too long.  The plot is alright, but it isn’t anything special.  I do think the movie - as well as the books - have been greatly over hyped.  There a few sweet moments between Bella and Edward, but I don’t see the movie as being that romantic.  The acting was alright, but nothing special.  None of the actors had that much to work with since the characters weren’t that developed.

Some things about vampires are changed.  I didn’t mind the changes so much, but they didn’t seem to be handled properly in my opinion.  They can go out during the day.  That didn’t bother me.  If they are in sunlight, their skin is supposed to sparkle like diamonds.  The effect for that looks horrible.  It was more like some weird cross between glitter and a disco ball.  There are issues with the makeup throughout the movie too.  All the vampires are supposed to be very pale, basically completely white without any hint of color to their skin.  The white makeup does look slightly odd, especially on some colors because that color skin just doesn’t work with the hair color.  I frequently saw that the makeup wasn’t used on the necks of characters, so there were glimpses of skin with more pigment.  The worst had to be when Esme first shows up.  The makeup doesn’t go all the way to her hairline and she doesn’t have bangs, so there is a strip of slightly darker skin very visible.  Bella is frequently shown to be just as pale, if not paler, than the vampires.  In other scenes, she has more of a flesh tone, and even freckles once or twice.  Even Edward has more of a flesh tone to his skin at times.  The makeup and look of the skin is very inconsistent throughout the movie and it got very distracting. 

Overall, I thought the movie was entertaining, but it is far from a favorite. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Twilight

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:12 PM »
Scream 2

Here's the incredible follow-up to the smash hit phenomenon Scream!  Away at college, Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell - Scream, TV's Party Of Five) thought she'd finally put the shocking murders that shattered her life behind her...until a copycat killer begins acting out a real-life sequel!  Now, as history eerily repeats itself, ambitious reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox - Scream, Scream 3), deputy Dewey (David Arquette - Scream, Scream 3) and other Scream survivors find themselves trapped in a terrifyingly clever plotline where no one is safe - or beyond suspicion!  Director Wes Craven (Scream) and hit-making writer Kevin Williamson (Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer) team up once again and deliver the big screen's hippest, coolest, edgiest thrill-ride ever!

My Thoughts

I thought that this was a decent sequel, though it isn’t as original as the first movie.  There is still a decent amount of suspense to some scenes and a few surprises that I think worked well while there are also other things that are more predictable.  The violence is a tad more graphic, but it still isn’t too gory.  Putting a movie into the story makes sense, though there is something a bit disturbing about it being more of a slasher movie instead of a more serious take on the murders - and yes I know it is all fictional.  There is just something twisted about the way the murders are treated.  The movie is entertaining and the cast does fine with their parts, though no one really stands out.  There isn’t the element of romance to this movie like there was in the first movie. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Scream 2

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 12:03:26 AM »
Once Bitten

Comedy superstar Jim Carrey plays a hot-blooded teen who becomes the reluctant donor to a sultry - and extremely thirsty - nocturnal nymph [Lauren Hutton] in this "funny...sexy" [Boxoffice] send-up of the horror genre!

Mark [Carrey] has just one thing on his mind: going all the way. But while his girlfriend keeps telling him he has to wait, he meets a beautiful vampire countess (Hutton) who's ready for action! Mark's just happy to get past second base...but after a one-night stand with the sexy seductress, Mark starts behaving more than a little batty and realizes he must find a way to break his lover's fiendish spell...or be prepared to work the graveyard shift forever!

My Thoughts

This one is more silly, but I think it is an entertaining vampire movie.  The plot is a bit more original having the Countess need blood from a virgin to remain young looking.  The movie isn’t scary or creepy and is more of a spoof of more traditional vampire movies.  It isn’t a violent as many other vampire movies.  I do think the humor works even though some things are rather silly.  The humor is probably too silly for some viewers.  The movie does have a few sexual situations without sex scenes turning up all the time.  This is a decent choice when someone is in the mood for a more light hearted vampire movie. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions a few years ago.

Once Bitten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »

From the Academy Award®-winning* creators of Wallace and Gromit comes "one of the most enjoyable family films of the year" (Jeffrey Lyons, NBC). When their town's prized produce starts disappearing, our cheese-loving inventor and his savvy canine companion must use all their wildly imaginative inventions to try to capture a mysterious beast of epic and fluffy proportions!

Hailed as "a terrific family movie" (Russ Leatherman, CNN and Moviefone.com) and "whimsical, funny and endlessly inventive" (Roger Ebert, Ebert & Roeper), The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a hare-raising adventure for the whole family!

* The Wrong Trousers (Winner, Best Animated Short, 1993), A Close Shave (Winner, Best Animated Short, 1995)

My Thoughts

I saw this movie before I saw all the shorts featuring Wallace and Gromit.  The story is really entertaining and mostly original.  I like the idea of the were-rabbit.  There is a bit of mystery to the movie and a surprise that I hadn’t expected.  The plot works very well.  The humor could have been a bit stronger, but the humor that is used works well.  The animation is very well done.  It is a fun, entertaining family friendly Halloween movie.  People who like the characters should give the movie a chance. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions back after I saw the movie in the theater when it first came out.

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Tremors 3: Back To Perfection

Those  morphing, man-eating monsters are shaking things up again in the dusty little town of Perfection, Nevada - and durvivalist Burt Gummer (Michael Gross) is the only soution to the latest evolution! Aided by a couple of young entrepreneurs (Shawn Christian and Susan Chang), Burt pits his impressive knowledge of weaponry against the newest and dealiest generation of Graboids. If Burt and his new partners can't find a way to stop them, then the creatures that put Perfection on the map will wipe it right off the face of the earth. 'Tremors 3' promises earth-shaking, explosive, edge-of-your-seat entertainment!

My Thoughts

This second sequel to Tremors is more silly than the second movie, but I still find it entertaining.  Burt gets to the be main character this time since Earl is also gone.  I did like seeing the town of Perfection again and how the people living there managed to find a way to live with the graboids and even make money off them.  The effects are cheesy, even more so than the previous movies, but it still manages to work.  I really hate the music that is used throughout the movie.  The violence is more tame in this one since it was made for television.  It launched a television show that didn’t last that long.  I do remember watching the show and it was cheesy as well, but still entertaining.  The movie is similar to the first movies, though something new is added in that helps to keep things from being completely predictable.  Some new cast members turn up as well as a few people from the first movie returning.  The movie is silly, but it is entertaining.

I did get a review posted on Epinions last summer.

Tremors 3: Back to Perfection

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 12:48:45 AM »
Slither

Prepare yourself for this terrifying, twisted and chilling film that critics are calling "the most entertaining horror movie in years" (Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch).

From the writer of 2004's Dawn of the Dead comes the deliciously demented story of an unnamed evil wreaking havoc on a small town. Intent on devouring all life on Earth, this dark force is infecting anyone in its path. Now it's up to the local sheriff, Bill Pardy (Nathan Fillion, Serenity), and his team to stop the spread of rampant devastation – and shocking mutilation – before it's too late.

My Thoughts

I ended up deciding to see this movie because Nathan Fillion is in it.  I did think the trailer looked interesting, though I don’t think I would have been as interested in seeing it if someone else had been in it.  I can’t deal with seeing snakes in movies, but the worm like creatures in this didn’t bother me at all.  I think the plot is interesting and entertaining and not predictable.  There is a decent amount of humor blended into what is going on that helps to keep things entertaining.  The cast does really well with their parts, especially Fillion.  The effects are decent and not all CGI.  Some things are a bit gross, ut it does work with what is happening in the movie.  I really enjoy this one, and I also keep watching some of the extras as well.

I did get a review posted on Epinions a few years ago.

Slither