Author Topic: Rich's October Horror Fest  (Read 68062 times)

RossRoy

Re: Rich's October Horror Fest
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »

Title: Seed of Chucky

I've always loved the Child's Play series, but this one and its prequel (Bride of Chucky) are my favorite! The whole concept of Chucky is pretty ridiculous to begin with, so for them to embrace the ridiculousness of it so fully in these last 2 entries is great!

Najemikon

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »
This movie is nearly 30 years old, and it felt every day of it. JLC looked about 10 years too old for school, and Leslie Nielson was so uncomfortable in a serious role he appeared wooden. [...]
Didn't Leslie Nielsen only start comedy after his success with Airplane and other stuff? Until then he was mainly known for serious stuff (as far back as Forbidden Planet in 1956). Doesn't mean he was not acting wooden in Prom Night or even his previosu serious stuff :laugh:

I always thought Leslie Neilsen was very good in serious roles, but I always struggle to pay attention, because I'm so used to his silly stuff.

snowcat

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »
I didn't think the Child's Play series got to me, until a friend bought me a Chuckie doll and I was too scared to leave it in my room at night

richierich

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »

Title: Amityville 3

Movie Count:28  
TV Ep. Count:16  

Runtime:93
Certificate:PG
Year:1983
Genres:Horror

Plot:The home of unspeakable evil is back to torment all who cross its threshold, as Dino De Laurentiis and legendary director Richard Fleischer (Soylent Green) present "a horror picture of considerable class and polish" (Los Angeles Times)! Packed with bone-chilling special effects, this third rendezvous with terror in Amityville stars Tony Roberts, Tess Harper, Robert Joy, Candy Clark and Meg Ryan.
To debunk the Amityville house's infamous reputation and take advantage of a rock-bottom asking price, skeptical journalist John Baxter (Roberts) buys the place and settles in to write his first novel. But as soon as the ink on the deed has dried, people who have come into contact with him – and the house – begin to meet with a shocking fate. Is it coincidence...or is this house really the gateway to hell?

My Review:
Firstly the dvd - possibly the worst quality dvd I've had the misfortune to watch, it was poor vhs on disc, shaky and grainy, scratchy audio, and the boom operator should of got star status as his microphone imposed itself on nearly every portrait scene.
The film itself - shocking. But not in a good way. I really enjoyed the first Amityville, the 2nd was average, this was a massive disappointment and the runt of the litter. Storyline is done to death, plot non-existent, not a trace of suspense or tension, and a grind to get through the hour and halfs viewing.
Cashing in on the days when 3D was all the rage, so plenty of thrusting random things and people into the cameras lens. Spotted a young Meg Ryan which i wasn't aware of before.
Worst film this month.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:04:43 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »

Title: The Fog

Movie Count:29  
TV Ep. Count:16  

Runtime:86
Certificate:15
Year:1980
Genres:Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Antonio Bay, a quaint, small seaside town is celebrating the 100th anniversary of its founding. That night a heavy, mysterious fog rolls through the town and people begin to die in savage ways. Rumours of a secret as old as the town begin to surface and the people of Antonio Bay realise they are victims of long dead sailors who have come to take revenge for their own murders at the hands of the town`s founding fathers. The townspeople can only wait for the fog to roll in and pray that they are not the next to die...

>My Review:
After watching the remake earlier this month, moviepick has thrown up the original so will be good to do a comparison.
The original stands head and shoulders above the remake, it is textbook Carpenter at his strengths, the pace is fluid and gripping, the 'less is more' technique creates a much more intense and suspenseful background, and the thumping and haunting audio leads you into every jump and scream moment.
Tom Atkins as the lead (toupee and all) is weak, but the rest of the cast are much more convincing, with JLC, her mum Janet Leigh, and Hal Holbrook stand-out.
Taught pacy horror that has stood the test of time, and still delivers where more modern high budget flicks fail.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:12:57 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »

Title: Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season

Movie Count:29  
TV Ep. Count:17  

Certificate:12
Year:2007
Genres:Comedy, Television

Plot:Every not-so-often, along comes a show that's different. Wonderfully different. It's the story of Ned, a lonely pie maker whose touch can reanimate the dead. Cool, but there's a hitch. If Ned touches the person again, the miracle is reversed. If he doesn't, a bystander goes toes up. What to do? Easy: Team with a private eye, bring murder victims back just long enough to discover whodunit, and collect the rewards.
Episode 5 - Girth
In this Halloween episode, Emerson and Olive track down "the ghost" who's been killing the jockeys at the old race arena where Olive used to race as a former jockey herself. With help from Ned and Chuck, they try to solve the big mystery.
My Review:
As quirky and colourful as ever, this Halloween episode revolves around the solving of another offbeat and bizarre murder, this time of a jockey, possibly by a ghost. Filled with sets that are totally inspired by Dr Seuss, the gorgeous Anna Friel and Kristin Chenoweth lead a fresh cast into one of the most unusual and original series around.
(click to show/hide)
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:29:11 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:05 AM »

Title: The Reaping

Movie Count:30  

Runtime:99
Certificate:R
Year:2007
Genres:Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Plot:Locusts swarm. Rivers turn to blood. Fire rains from the sky. Are you prepared for The Reaping? Investigative scholar Katherine Winter (two-time Academy Award® winner Hilary Swank) is a debunker of modern "miracles," bringing scientific light to superstition and fraud. But events in tiny Haven, Louisiana defy even her expertise. There, the 10 Biblical Plagues seem to be recurring. And the more she seeks answers, the more she questions her own beliefs. Katherine must uncover the truth, because the Plagues are counting down. And time is running out.

My Review:
Swank delivers a solid performance in this battle of good against evil, full of twists and turns although the ending was fairly easy to predict. The deep South setting was atmospheric and mysterious enough to work, however not sure why they casted David Morrissey doing an American accent as the science teacher? The biblical plague effects were special,
(click to show/hide)
, and the significant budget shows throuh in excellent production and slick pace and casting.
Perhaps not hardcore enough in gore or frights for huge horror fans, and certainly not popular with critics, I personally enjoyed this and with todays low price recommend it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:12:00 PM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2009, 09:28:02 AM »
Title: Amityville 3
[...]
Out of a Possible 5
:hmmmm:

Only one turd out of 5? So it's not that bad...? :devil:

richierich

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »

Title: Devour

Movie Count:31  

Runtime:89
Certificate:18
Year:2005

Plot:For months, Jake Gray (Jensen Ackles, TV's "Smallville") has been haunted by disturbing premonitions of murder and self-mutilation he can't explain - that is, until two high school friends Dakota (Dominique Swain, 'Lolita') and Conrad, introduce him to a mysterious online computer game called The Pathway. Suddenly, Jack's violent visions are brought to life as the game begins transforming his terrifying daydreams into gruesome reality. Hoping to escape his waking nightmare, Jake turns to Marisol (Shannyn Sossamon, 'A Knight's Tale'), a seductive new friend who dabbles in the mystic occult. Instead, the two find themselves confronting even greater horrors, including the terrifying secrets of Jack's dark family past, in this chilling psychological thriller.

My Review:
A film that gets it all wrong, silly devilish creatures, too much pointless nudity, a computer game, ridiculous ending, and a total lack of suspense or chills that it turned out totally boring. The acting and cast are okay, the production initially appealing, but I just found the hocum pocum a bit naive and too far beyond belief to relate to.
The initial 20 minutes promised a lot, and I thought would build up to a great conclusion, but it just fizzled out like a damp squib. Lack of continuity and a disjointed plot sunk this stinker.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:54:10 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »

Title: Dark Water

Movie Count:32 

Runtime:103
Certificate:NR

Plot:Far more terrifying than what was seen in theaters, this special unrated version of Dark Water is a thoroughly absorbing, suspense-filled thriller starring Jennifer Connelly. Dahlia Williams (Connelly) and her five-year-old daughter are ready to begin a new life together. But their new apartment — dilapidated and worn — suddenly seems to take on a life of its own. Mysterious noises, persistent leaks of dark water and other strange happenings in the deserted apartment above send Dahlia on a haunting and mystifying pursuit — one that unleashes a torrent of living nightmares.

My Review:
Hollywood remake of a Japanese chiller, the pace is electric but sadly the hide behind the cushion moments were not as numerous as expected until the finale. The characters are well established, with Postlethwaite as always the stand-out performer, but the overall feel until the end is rather bland and lacking in atmosphere. In the end I did not care enough for the characters and their fates, and the eerieness took nearly 90 minutes to arrive.
When it did, Hollywood had laid it on a bit too thick and dumbed it down, but one scene
(click to show/hide)
did creep me out and bought the hairs on my neck up.
Worth a watch, and when I feel braver I may get to viewing the higher rated Japanese original.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:35:44 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »

Title: Stay

Movie Count:33  

Runtime:99
Certificate:R

Plot:A suicidal college student and his doctor enter a twisted world of supernatural horror in 'Stay'. Henry Lethem (Ryan Gosling) plans to kill himself in three days, unless psychologist Sam Foster (Ewan McGregor) can stop him. Henry's been hearing disturbing voices and experiencing horrifying visions, but where does imagination end and reality begin? Sam suddenly finds he's losing his own grip on reality, as he, too, is thrust into a hellish place between life and death. With the help of his girlfriend (Naomi Watts), Sam races to unlock the terrifying secret behind Henry's waking nightmare before it's too late!

My Review:
Not sure why this has a horror genre, although it is strangely haunting and mystifying. Challenging and unusual piece from the director of Quantum of Solace, Monsters Ball and Finding Neverland, it was difficult to pull your eyes from the screen so it definately had something. I found myself having to rewind back a few times to fully grasp the direction the film was taking, as some parts I found quite difficult to follow and piece together.
Baffling for most of the film, but the final 10 minutes helps explain elements of it, including the concept of the film
(click to show/hide)
but still will leave me lying awake wondering what a few parts actually were telling us. I can see how this film can be criticised for being too clever for its own good, and a lot of people would label it as boring, but if you are willing to invest some time and full attention it is quite deep and absorbing.
Different, but a good different.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:49:22 PM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2009, 01:50:17 AM »
Worth a watch, and when I feel braver I may get to viewing the higher rated Japanese original.

I fear you'll have killed its power by being over-familiar with the story. Remakes should very rarely be watched first... :redcard:

richierich

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »

I fear you'll have killed its power by being over-familiar with the story. Remakes should very rarely be watched first... :redcard:

My defence appeal - blame Moviepick, it dishes them out without prejudice. I have Ringu, Ring 2 and Dark Water from Japan, so one night I'll have to order in some sushi and have a 'land of the rising sun' mini marathon  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Moviepick is rubbish. Prosecution rests...  :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
Moviepick is rubbish. Prosecution rests...  :laugh:

I'd like to introduce to the court my first witness..............Ken   :devil: