Author Topic: Rich's October Horror Fest  (Read 68082 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Rich's October Horror Fest
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
 :laugh: Cool!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
Rich, for goodness sake, override the picker, man-up and give Texas Chainsaw Massacre a spin!  :redcard:

Put in a proper scary film or I'll persuade Karsten to change your screen-name to Melanie or Lucy or something, so everyone knows they're talking to a girl!  :devil: :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 03:46:23 AM »
 :hysterical:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 04:05:33 AM »

richierich

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
 :bag: :-[ :bag:

Boomstick98

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »
Rich, for goodness sake, override the picker, man-up and give Texas Chainsaw Massacre a spin!  :redcard:

Put in a proper scary film or I'll persuade Karsten to change your screen-name to Melanie or Lucy or something, so everyone knows they're talking to a girl!  :devil: :tease:

Horror is not cut out for everyone, but if you do decide to take something a little harsher on try The Exorcist or The Shining. While these aren't the goriest they will mess with you.  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »

Title: Criss Angel: Mindfreak: The Complete Season One

Movie Count:3  
TV Ep. Count:3  

Certificate:NR
Year:2005
Genres:Television, Special Interest

Plot:Halloween Special
Taped before a live audience, Criss provides the ultimate Halloween experience. He will perform some of his most frightening and terrifying demonstrations. While most of the stunts will be new, some will be encores of some of the best from the series. For his grand finale, Criss offers ‘his soon-to-be-infamous’ sawed “in two” act. The stunt will be performed with no box, right in front of the audience, while some of the on-lookers hold his bare limbs. As with many of the stunts in the series, Criss takes a classic and defines it as his own.
Get Your Mindfreak On!

My Review:
A very clever showman and I have enjoyed much of his first 3 series, although I truly believe most tricks are massively helped by tv effects and audience stooges.
This Halloween special was entertaining and looked back at his upbringing and hometown, it follows his typical format of one large stunt interspersed with several smaller tricks and illusions. The build ups and mood settings are often better than the main event, and what really irritates me is the OTT audience reactions, liberally sprinkled with videos of Americans doing that most irritating gibbon-like 'WOOT' shouting every few seconds (why do they do this?)
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:04:23 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
That has me worried Rich... I have the stand alone disc of that episode of Mindfreak... it was a blind buy that my sis-in-law convinced me of.

EDIT: Whoops you didn't watch it yet... I just seen the one icon and started to panic :P
Pete

richierich

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »

Title: Halloween II

Movie Count:4  
TV Ep. Count:3  

Runtime:93
Certificate:R
Year:1981
Genres:Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Picking up precisely where its predecessor left off, Halloween II follows the same ill-fated characters as they encounter the knife-wielding maniac they left for dead in the first Halloween. It seems the inhuman Michael Myers is still very much alive and out for more revenge as he stalks the deserted halls of the hospital where his sister lays waiting. As he gets closer and closer to his terrified target, Dr. Loomis discovers the chilling mystery behind the crazed psychopath's savage actions. Written by horror masters John Carpenter and Debra Hill, Halloween II is a spine-tingling dark ride into the scariest night of the year.

My Review:
I haven't seen this since vhs, and it has lost none of it's wonderful suspense, tension and horror. The brilliant music is the star of the movie, hauntingly leading you into every jump out of your skin moment.
It has obviously dated, and is a bit hammy, but is quite reminiscent of Assault on Precinct 13 in places. Myers shows some imagination in this sequel utilising a variety of killing instruments and some stalking techniques, and the glossy production of the time is impressive.
It isn't anywhere near as good as the original. but with Curtis reappearing and the oddball Pleasance in attendence, it is still a good film and contains some great moments.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:01:14 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »

Title: The Office: Season Two

Movie Count:4 
TV Ep. Count:4 

Genres:Comedy, Television

Plot:
5. Halloween
While everyone else in the office enjoys the spooky Halloween festivities and talks about the staff's costumes, Michael ponders who he should fire when the threat of downsizing becomes a reality and his boss orders him to fire one of his staff. Meanwhile, Jim and Pam put Dwight's resume on job-searching websites, which may make Michael's job a little easier, and Pam encourages Jim to set his goals higher by applying for a better job, which makes Jim consider his friendship with Pam.

My Review:
One of very few American adaptations of British TV comedies that actually works, the whole series of Office USA has been enjoyable.
This Halloween special was great relief as part of the marathon, with the sideplot of Michael having to reduce his employee size the funniest part, and producing the classic sketch when he tries to fire Creed.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »
:cheers:

If you worry about gore then Texas Chainsaw is a good pick. While properly disturbing there is surprisingly little gore (close to none, actually).

richierich

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »
:cheers:

If you worry about gore then Texas Chainsaw is a good pick. While properly disturbing there is surprisingly little gore (close to none, actually).

No I'm actually just being tongue in cheek, I don't worry about it, just find it excessive in films like Hostel, Saw,Scrapbook etc.
I've seen the original TCM and enjoyed it a lot.

richierich

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »

Title: The Fog

Movie Count:5 
TV Ep. Count:4 

Runtime:103
Genres:Horror

Plot:From producer John Carpenter comes the all-new retelling of his terror classic, THE FOG. Tom Welling (TV's "Smallville"), Maggie Grace (TV's "Lost") and Selma Blair (Hellboy) star in this sense-shattering tale of demonic retribution, directed by Rupert Wainwright (Stigmata) with screenplay by Cooper Layne.
Trapped within an eerie mist, the residents of Antonio Bay have become the unwitting victims of a horrifying vengeance. One hundred years ago, a ship carrying lepers was purposely lured onto the rocky coastline and sunk, drowning all aboard. Now they're back, long-dead mariners who've waited a century for their revenge. Seeking out the decedents of those responsible for their deaths, they lurk enshrouded within a supernatural fog of terror. Beware, any and all who stand in their way.

My Review:
Disjointed and disappointing, this pointless horror remake was poorly executed and suffered with too little suspense, drama, tension or chills. Masses amounts of CGI special effects could not hold this film up, and the wooden unenthusiastic acting and one dimensional characters began to bore me.
It was 2/3 into the film before it got going, and when it did there was a major feeling of pointlessness. The ending was odd and non-sensical, but it was a relief to get there!
I will probably view the original this month, which I havent seen since VHS days, it was better than this remake by some margin, although I don't remember it as a classic.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:12:48 AM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
I've seen the original TCM and enjoyed it a lot.
Happy to hear that :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 01:21:17 AM »

Title: King of the Hill: The Complete Second Season

Movie Count:5 
TV Ep. Count:5 

Year:1997
Genres:Animation, Comedy, Television

Plot:Welcome back to the land of BBQ, beer and good ol' boys! Hop in the truck with "Beavis and Butt-head" creator Mike Judge and former "The Simpsons" writer/producer Greg Daniels and head for the suburban world of Hank Hill! Then kick back for a hilarious second season that's guaranteed to be more fun than a Texas two-step!
4. Hilloween
Junie Harper, a conservative church member, declares that Halloween is a Satanic holiday, and gets the school to shut down Hank's "Haunted House" on the grounds that it violates the separation of church and state. Luanne and even Bobby start to believe Junie when she says that Hank is a Satanist, and Hank has to fight against Junie's attempt to cancel Halloween for the whole town.

My Review:
The only animated series I have ever got hooked on, damn shame they have not released dvds past season 6.
Great episode as always, this one a Halloween special, with good old Hank saving the day for everyone against the horrid Junie. His Texasism and embarrassment for anything linked to sex or toilet habits are hilarious, and his fight to prove he is not a Satanist to his son and townfolk is good value.
Just watching one episode of this leaves me with a big smile on my face.
My Rating
Out of a Possible 5