Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: On-Demand  (Read 15990 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: On-Demand
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
On-Demand
This weekend I decided to give my DVD Player some much needed time off. I mean after all I will be working it over time starting late next week. So this weekend I decided to watch movies on the various On-Demand channels I have. I like to do this every great once in a while to see if I can find some movies I would like to add to my collection. So I will be watching both... movies that I have never seen before as well as movies I have not seen in many years to remind myself of them.

On-Demand Channels I Have to Choose From
The ones that are links you can check out what movies I have to choose from... if you feel up to it... give me some suggestions!
- Comcast On-Demand
- Starz On-Demand
- Encore On-Demand
- HBO On-Demand
- Showtime On-Demand
- Cinemax On-Demand
- The Movie Channel On-Demand

Remember... no horror this weekend!  :P
Pete

richierich

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: On-Demand
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
mr hollands opus i heartily recommend - on showtime

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
Thanks Rich!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »

Not there... I went to the site to double check it... It is on the site but grayed out. When I clicked on it I got the plot and underneath that I got the message...

Coming Soon: Available from 10/07/09 to 11/03/09
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »

Bedtime Stories
Funnyman Adam Sandler stars in Walt Disney Pictures' Bedtime Stories, the magical family comedy that's packed with adventure and lots of heart. When Skeeter Bronson (Sandler) babysits his sister's (Courteney Cox) children, his imagination runs wild as he dreams up elaborate bedtime stories - always casting himself as the hero. Entranced, the children add their own ideas to these once-upon-a-time tales of heroics and chivalry. Then...magic happens. These nighttime fantasies become Skeeter's daytime realities, leading him on a real-life adventure in search of his own happy ending. Filled with colorful characters, humor and whimsy, this heartwarming comedy will enchant your entire family again and again.

Stars:
Adam Sandler
Keri Russell
Guy Pierce
Courteney Cox

My Thoughts:
The first thing I did after I watched this movie was check the reviews here because I thought I remembered someone else reviewing this movie. And I was right. Both Rich and Marie reviewed this one. I found myself siding more with Marie personally. With all due respect to Rich... who I know disliked this movie quite a bit... I must say I disagree! I found this movie to be quite a bit of fun. It felt like a good fantasy fun for the entire family mixed with a bit of Romantic Comedy. That being said I wouldn't say this is a great movie as it is a bit silly at times. But it is definitely enjoyable.I was actually a bit surprised to see Courteney Cox in this one as I never heard anything of her in it before. Though she is only in the beginning and the end of the movie as she played the mother to the kids Adam Sandler was watching. On this one I plan on eventually adding to my collection. But not one I will rush to do so with as I am sure it will be a while before I am in the mood to watch it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »
I can't remember now what you have and don't have..so never mind if I mention something you've seen or even own. :)

Bolt on Starz on Demand is cute..if you are in the mood for an animated movie.

Lakeview Terrace also on Starz isn't bad...predictable at times, but still a decent movie.

Wall-E is amazing. :)

Encore on Demand
I liked Absolute Power..entertaining thriller type movie.
Dead Calm is good..and has Nicole Kidman in one of her early roles.
High Anxiety is good.  I'll probably get the DVD someday.

The only thing jumping out at men on the HBO list is Sweeny Todd..and I know that won't work because it is horror...and it's a musical.

Showtime on Demand
Stardust..I love that movie.
The Bank Job is entertaining.

Cinemax on Demand
American Gangster
Changeling..I thought this one was very good, though it isn't a fun or happy movie.
In Bruges is good...though again, not a fun or happy movie.

I didn't see anything on Movie Channel on Demand.  I have heard that Into the Wild is good, but I haven't seen it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:35:40 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions Marie...
I was planning on watching a couple of those anyway. A question though....

Changeling... I was thinking it was a remake of this one...

Here is an award-winning feature that boldly mixes a frightful ghost story with a great suspense plot and keeps you guessing all the way.

George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere star in a thriller that challenges the viewer to solve its mystery. It's a haunted-house adventure complete with seances, nocturnal grave-diggings, ghostly spirits, and an ancient puzzle jealously guarded by a devious man (Academy Award™ winner Melvyn Douglas). Scott is splendid as the man who becomes an unwilling instrument of a ghost's revenge and learns to trust no one. Eerily entwining a detective story with the mystery of the supernatural, 'The Changeling' delivers solid entertainment and a frightening good time.

But now I am guessing it isn't a remake of the above? Since that is a horror movie.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:40:30 AM »
Well I didn't click on the link ..I just thought it was the movie from last year directed by Eastwood with Angelina Jolie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0824747/

I might have even posted about it here after I saw it...hmmm...  I think I did.  I know I posted a review on Epinions.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
Going by the overview it don't sound like a remake of the ghost story... so that is cool. Which is surprising as much as they make remakes now a day!  :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:51:13 AM »
I can vouch for Into the Wild - I thought it was terrific.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
I can vouch for Into the Wild - I thought it was terrific.

Another one I didn't get around to yet; and sitting in my wishlist for far too long.

Showtime on Demand
Stardust..I love that movie.

Me too. About the greatest thing since The Princess Bride. Based on a Neil Gaiman story.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:58:53 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:36 AM »
Thanks everyone...
A lot going on with me today/tonight... so probably won't be able to get to another one till tomorrow... but there has been a few mentioned I want to check out.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
Oh you Americans! :tease: In Bruges is hilarious, but it's black humour with a poignant end. It's a hit-man comedy, Pete, and well recommended, except I'm not sure how well it translates...

Not there... I went to the site to double check it... It is on the site but grayed out. When I clicked on it I got the plot and underneath that I got the message...

Coming Soon: Available from 10/07/09 to 11/03/09

I reckon you'll be busy! And heartwarming stories about music seems about as far from what you will be watching as you could get! :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:24:02 AM »
 :laugh: That is for sure Jon... And Thanks! :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:55:13 AM »
Oh you Americans! :tease: In Bruges is hilarious, but it's black humour with a poignant end. It's a hit-man comedy, Pete, and well recommended, except I'm not sure how well it translates...

Just a minute here..I said it was good.  :tease:  Yes parts of it are very funny, but it takes a very, very dark turn that I didn't like as well.  But I still think it is a good movie.  I even posted a review on Epinions and gave it four out of 5 stars.   :tease: