Author Topic: Whiteout  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Whiteout
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »
I wasn’t sure about Whiteout when I first saw the previews for the movie.  They did make it seem like it would be more of a horror type of movie.  Then I read a few things about the movie that said that it wasn’t horror and was actually a mystery/thriller type of movie, so I decided to give it a chance.

The movie starts by showing the events leading up to the crash of a Russian airplane in 1957 somewhere in the southern hemisphere.  That is all that is said about the location, but it seems clear that it is in Antarctica. 

Things then jump forward to current times, though not actual year is provided for the time period for the rest of the movie.  Anyway, a research facility is shown and the staff change is underway so it will be done before a huge storm hits in three days.  At that point, the facility will be cut off for fix months.  The U.S. marshal there, Carrie Stetko, is ready to leave her post, but she ends up with a murder to investigate during those last few days. 

I know the movie was based on a graphic novel.  I haven’t read it, so I have no clue what might have been changed.  One thing I read did say that the plot stayed fairly close to the source material.  The plot is interesting, especially considering the more isolated setting.  Things do move rather slow for a while before picking up during certain scenes, so some scenes may seem boring to some people. 

I think there is a decent amount of mystery to what is going on, though it could have been much stronger and more in depth.  Some of what happens is predictable, though some of that is probably because of the limitations imposed because of the setting and the limited group of characters.  Something is mentioned somewhat early in the movie that I didn’t think anything about at the time.  Then, later as more things are coming out, it turns out the previously mentioned thing was a clue.  Now that I think about it, I am a bit surprised that Carrie didn’t put something together sooner.  There is decent suspense in a few scenes, though that could have been a bit stronger as well.  There is violence in some scenes, as well as a few other somewhat gory things that I didn’t need to see.  Nothing is too explicit, but it may be too much for some viewers.

Everything that happens takes place in Antarctica, basically in the middle of nowhere.  The temperature is shown a few times and the warmest it was said to be was 50 below zero.  This is not a forgiving environment and that kind of cold is downright dangerous all by itself.  Several things happen outside, and the characters mostly seem to be dressed properly.  However, the first time Carrie is shown, it seems like the hat she has on is just there for looks since it barely covers any of her head.  Characters are shown putting on goggles in a few scenes, but no one ever has a scarf or anything else covering the lower part of their face, something that they would have to do in that type of extreme cold to avoid frostbite.  Before Carrie and John head out to look for the body, different planes at the facility are shown and someone is complaining about how long it takes to get them running in the cold. Then, when Carrie gets where they are going, the pilot shuts everything on the plane off and they are in the middle of nowhere.  That just doesn’t seem right. 

There aren’t any sex scenes in the movie though there is a tiny bit of nudity.  A group of men is shown streaking outside which just seems extremely stupid in that sort of cold.  Within minutes of first showing up in the movie, Carrie is stripped down to her underwear and then in the shower.  Steam keeps her from being seen completely naked, but a lot of skin is seen.  I’m guessing that was done to add some eye candy for some viewers.

Carrie is in the most scenes, though there is still not a lot shared about her and there is even less development for the rest of the characters.  Most of them just seem to be around sort of as filler in the background.  The cast is fine in their parts.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, though it does have issues and could have been better.  I would give it 3.5 stars.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look. :)

Whiteout

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteout
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
I wasn’t sure about Whiteout when I first saw the previews for the movie.  They did make it seem like it would be more of a horror type of movie.  Then I read a few things about the movie that said that it wasn’t horror and was actually a mystery/thriller type of movie, so I decided to give it a chance.
Yes, as I posted in another thread, the trailer made it look like an unofficial remake of The Thing.

I'd like to see it in the cinema, but it opens here on October 2, the day I depart to Germany :( (same goes for Pandorum, which makes me even sadder, that is horror though).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Whiteout
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:44 PM »
Yes, as I posted in another thread, the trailer made it look like an unofficial remake of The Thing.

I'd like to see it in the cinema, but it opens here on October 2, the day I depart to Germany :( (same goes for Pandorum, which makes me even sadder, that is horror though).

I still haven't seen all of The Thing for some reason.  I need to fix that someday.  Anyway, from what I remember, Whiteout isn't anything like that movie other than being set in a remote, freezing cold area.  No horror or supernatural type elements at all.