Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Inglourious Basterds
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
I decided to go and see Inglourious Basterds last week even though I had doubts about it at times.  I didn't read any reviews, though I did see that most of them were positive and I had thought that the trailers looked interesting.  Well...I know I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't like the movie that much overall. 

The movie is really telling 2 stories that only become entwined late in the movie.  That does make things a bit more complex, though I didn't have trouble keeping them straight.  There really aren't many action scenes in the movie, and the ones that are in the movie are over rather fast.  Those scenes have rather graphic violence which may bother some viewers.  More of the scenes have a slower pace.  I don't think the balance between the faster and slower paced scenes was right and the movie did seem to drag at times.  I do think it was a bit too long.  There are a of subtitles throughout the movie.  I didn't mind that, but I hadn't expected it.  Some sequences were very well done, but that isn't enough to keep everything interesting.

None of the characters are developed and very little is shared about any of them.  That does make it harder to care about what is going on with them.

Overall, I just didn't like this movie and think it has been very over rated.

I did get a review posted on Epinions..it took me longer to get it done because I was a bit conflicted over what to rate it for a while.

Inglourious Basterds

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
 :thumbup:
Just the usual stolen job from the untalented guy, except that this time he had just badly remade another movie...

#35 in the imdb top 250 ???
People are so stupid, no wonder if less than 10 good original movies were made in the last 10 years in the USA ::)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
Just the usual stolen job from the untalented guy, except that this time he had just badly remade another movie...

While I like to tease our resident Tarantino fan, I wouldn't call Tarantino untalented, just a bit overrated. I do look forward to seeing Inglorious Basterds, but as usual I will most likely wait for the DVD.

... no wonder if less than 10 good original movies were made in the last 10 years in the USA ::)

Now you're just beeing silly...  Really.
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »
Maybe :laugh:
Just change "in the USA" for "in the Hollywood system" and my statement will be closer to the thruth... I think :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »
Why is the average anti-Tarantino fan so lazy in their criticism? :tease: It is not a remake.

Marie's comments aside I still cannot wait to see it! :D

By the way you can't trust the IMDb rating for weeks. The Dark Knight was way up for ages.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »
I'm undecided on seeing this.  My problem is that I just don't like Tarantino.  I've tried.  Tried real hard.  I've watched many of his movies because I kept thinking that it must be me since he was so popular.  But after getting about 20 minutes into Kill Bill, I finally admitted that for whatever reason, I just don't like his movies and turned it off.

My problem is I happen to like WWII movies.

So I have to figure out if my like of WWII movies will outweigh my dislike of Tarantino. :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
I'm undecided on seeing this.  My problem is that I just don't like Tarantino.  I've tried.  Tried real hard.  I've watched many of his movies because I kept thinking that it must be me since he was so popular.  But after getting about 20 minutes into Kill Bill, I finally admitted that for whatever reason, I just don't like his movies and turned it off.

So I have to figure out if my like of WWII movies will outweigh my dislike of Tarantino. :hmmmm:

I would say your dislike of his other movies should outweigh the WWII aspect. Marie will tell you better, I'm sure, but I just get the feeling that if you don't like the style of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, you won't like this either.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

I would say your dislike of his other movies should outweigh the WWII aspect. Marie will tell you better, I'm sure, but I just get the feeling that if you don't like the style of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, you won't like this either.

I can't say for sure of course, but since you haven't liked his other movies, it is more likely that you won't like this one either.  He uses some of the same type of techniques - like splitting things up into chapters, though at least they were shown in the correct order this time.  The World War II stuff is ...different.  It is not historically accurate, so it is more like an alternate fantasy version of things.  The idea for the plot is interesting...which is basically why I decided to give the movie a chance.  But overall, it wasn't enough for me to enjoy the movie.  Though maybe you'll like it more than I did.  It sure seems like most everyone else who has seen it - or at least reviewed it - has.  Since you are unsure about the movie, it may be better to rent it instead of going to the theater.

I've also wondered why I haven't liked some of his previous movies since so many seem to love his stuff.  I was even thinking what am I missing while watching this one.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »
...if you don't like the style of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill...

I like Kill Bill, but don't care much for Pulp Fiction. Yeah, I always have to be difficult.  :P

In fact, Kill Bill (both parts) is probably the only Tarantino movie I really like.  It isn't what I would call a great movie, because it fails to engage me beyond its entertainment level. But that's okay. In a way, I consider it Tarantino's most honest movie (I haven't seen Death Proof, though).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:37:28 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
...if you don't like the style of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill...

I like Kill Bill, but don't care much for Pulp Fiction. Yeah, I always have to be difficult.  :P

In fact, Kill Bill (both parts) is probably the only Tarantino movie I really like.  It isn't what I would call a great movie, because it fails to engage me beyond its entertainment level. But that's okay. In a way, I consider it Tarantino's most honest movie (I haven't seen Death Proof, though).

Then I guess I'm difficult too.  I can't stand Pulp Fiction, but I did like Kill Bill...mostly.  It isn't a favorite movie or anything and I haven't wanted to watch it again, and I think it had problems, but I did like it overall.
I have no interest in seeing Death Proof.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »
The only film of him that I like is Reservoir Dog, but it's more because of the performances of Harvey Keitel and Michael Madsen than for the movie itself. After that it had done nothing that interest me... For me he is just a thief, an idiot and a name dropper (but everybody here know my feeling about this unoriginal film fraud).

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
:laugh: I choose not to answer that one, Jimmy! At least not until I do a Tarantino marathon, which I'm suddenly very tempted by...  ;)

Meanwhile, regardless of your opinions thus far, who here has seen Jackie Brown? I think it could turn out to be his most enduring film. The adaptation of Leonard's novel is superb and for such an "indulgent" "unoriginal" "fraud", oddly understated and gracious.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »
At least not until I do a Tarantino marathon, which I'm suddenly very tempted by...  ;)

Maybe you want to do a little match up:
Fay Grim vs. Jackie Brown
Amateur vs. Pulp Fiction
Simple Men vs. Reservoir Dogs

Come to think of it, maybe I like Kill Bill, because there isn't a better Hal Hartley version of it.  :P
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:18 AM »

Oh, most certainly! I have watched this recently and personally liked it very much; but I have been known to like almost everything tarantno has done so far. Inglorious Basterds is very much a Tarantino style film. The long dialog scenes are adjusted to match the WWII setting, but they are still clearly made by Tarantino.

The real stand outs from this film are the opening scene, whcih reminded me a lot of the beginning of Once Upon A Time In The West and the performance by Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa; he is excellently creepy!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »

Oh, most certainly! I have watched this recently and personally liked it very much; but I have been known to like almost everything tarantno has done so far. Inglorious Basterds is very much a Tarantino style film. The long dialog scenes are adjusted to match the WWII setting, but they are still clearly made by Tarantino.

The real stand outs from this film are the opening scene, whcih reminded me a lot of the beginning of Once Upon A Time In The West and the performance by Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa; he is excellently creepy!

I agree that the first scene is very well done and Waltz handled the part wonderfully.