Author Topic: Tom's Random Star Trek Reviews  (Read 41132 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's Random Star Trek Reviews
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
The chances that I will have the time to make real Star Trek series marathons anytime soon are very slim. But often I come across someone mentioning a Star Trek episode, where I think that I would like to watch it now. This is why I will now make an exception to my habit of only watching complete seasons instead of single episodes, and watch a Star Trek episode in no particular order from time to time.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Tom's Random Star Trek Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
But often I come across someone mentioning a Star Trek episode

Q Who

:whistle:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
VOY 6.09 The Voyager Conspiracy
Writer: Joe Menosky (Writer)
Director: Terry Windell
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Albie Selznick (Tash), Scarlett Pomers (Naomi Wildman), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

I completely forgot about this episode. On the page discussing "clip shows" at tvtropes someone mentioned this episode as in interesting twist on clip shows. This episode hardly has any clips from previous episodes, and the ones it got are only few seconds long. Seven malfunctions while downloading too much of Voyager's data into her brain during regeneration, and now sees conspiracies in past incidents and even gets Janeway and Chakotey riled up so much, that they almost start to distrust each other.
This is a nice little bottle episode, but the resolution to Seven's paranoia is too fast. She comes around after a short little pep talk by the captain.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
Seven malfunctions while downloading too much of Voyager's data

I had to read this part several times because it made no sense at all until I remembered that "Seven" was a person. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
VOY 6.10. Pathfinder
Writer: David Zabel (Screenwriter), Kenneth Biller (Screenwriter), David Zabel (Original Material By)
Director: Mike Vejar
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Dwight Schultz (Barclay), Richard Herd (Admiral Paris), Richard McGonagle (Commander Pete Harkins), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Victor Bevine (Security Guard), Mark Daniel Cade (Technician), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

I just had to watch this great episode which was on the same disc as the previous one. Lt. Barcley is working on a project to establish contact with Voyager. After being kicked off the project because of a wild idea of his and because of his holo-addiction which makes him interact with the Voyager characters on the holodeck, he gets councelling by Deanna Troi. At the end he proves that his idea was right and Starfleet has two-way contact with Voyager for the first time. This episode also marks the first appearence of Admiral Paris.
I like the fact, that the Maquis members in Reggie's holodeck simulation all wear the clothes they wore in the pilot episode instead of a Starfleet uniform with different rank insignias.

Rating:

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »
Seven malfunctions while downloading too much of Voyager's data

I had to read this part several times because it made no sense at all until I remembered that "Seven" was a person. ;)

Glad to see I'm not alone!  :phew:

On TV here in Quebec, there's often an episode of each of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT all back to back. I will sometimes just tune in while having breakfast or lunch, and I always find it quite enjoyable.

I like Star Trek for its accessibility like that. You can pretty much just pick up any episode, and it's enjoyable, especially if you've seen them all before.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »
VOY 6.12 Blink of an Eye
Writer: Joe Menosky (Screenwriter), Michael Taylor (Original Material By)
Director: Gabrielle Beaumont
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Daniel Dae Kim (Pilot), Obi Ndefo (Protector), Daniel Zacapa (Astronomer), Olaf Pooley (Cleric), Jon Cellini (Technician), Kat Sawyer-Young (Astronaut), Melik Malkasian (Shaman), Walter Hamilton McCready (Tribal Alien), Scarlett Pomers (Naomi Wildman)

Another episode on the same disc. I always found this episode interesting. Voyager is caught in the orbit of a planet, which exists in a different time-frame. One second on Voyager is one day on the planet. The inhabitants are seeing Voyager for centuries and their whole civilization is heavily influenced by the "skyship". We see the evolution from a primitive culture to a spacefaring civilization which ultimately helps Voyager to free itself from the orbit.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
TNG 3.13 Deja Q
Writer: Richard Danus (Writer)
Director: Les Landau
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Worf), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), John de Lancie (Q), Whoopi Goldberg (Guinan), Richard Cansino (Dr. Garin), Betty Muramoto (Scientist), Corbin Bernsen (Q2 (uncredited))

Q episodes are always fun. Here Q is punished by the Q Continuum and is made mortal. It's fun seeing him without his powers and having him constantly complaining about it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
TNG 3.15 Yesterday's Enterprise
Writer: Ira Steven Behr (Screenwriter), Richard Manning (Screenwriter), Hans Beimler (Screenwriter), Ronald D. Moore (Screenwriter), Trent Christopher Ganino (Original Material By), Eric A. Stillwell (Original Material By)
Director: David Carson
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Worf), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar), Christopher McDonald (Richard Castillo), Tricia O'Neil (Rachel Garrett), Whoopi Goldberg (Guinan)

I always have loved this episode. This is the only instance we get to see the Enterprise-C. It is thrown 22 years from the past into the present time, which leads to an alternate timeline where the Federation is at war with the Klingons. This was also a great way to bring back Tasha Yar. Both Enterprise crews had to make the decision, to send the Enterprise-C back in time to a certain death because they had reason to believe, that this will prevent the war before it started.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »
VOY 3.08 Future's End, Part I
Writer: Brannon Braga (Writer), Joe Menosky (Writer)
Director: David Livingston
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres), Jennifer Lien (Kes), Robert Duncan McNeill (Lieutenant Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Lieutenant Tuvok), Garrett Wang (Ensign Harry Kim), Sarah Silverman (Rain Robinson), Allan G. Royal (Captain Braxton), Ed Begley, Jr. (Henry Starling), Susan Patterson (Ensign Kaplan), Barry Wiggins (Policeman), Christian R. Conrad (Dunbar)

The first part of a two-parter which I have always really enjoyed. As you know, I love time-travel, and I think the episode plays well with it. Also this episode introduced me to Sarah Silverman and because of this episode I usually check stuff out with her in it.

Rating:

VOY 3.09 Future's End, Part II
Writer: Brannon Braga (Writer), Joe Menosky (Writer)
Director: Cliff Bole
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres), Jennifer Lien (Kes), Robert Duncan McNeill (Lieutenant Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Lieutenant Tuvok), Garrett Wang (Ensign Harry Kim), Sarah Silverman (Rain Robinson), Allan G. Royal (Captain Braxton), Brent Hinkley (Butch), Clayton Murray (Porter), Ed Begley, Jr. (Henry Starling), Susan Patterson (Ensign Kaplan), Christian R. Conrad (Dunbar), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

The second part, although also fun to watch, is not as good as the first part. The first part had fun setting everything up. But the second part just was standard fare of getting everything back to how it should be.
This episode has lasting effect as it gives the doctor his mobile holo-emitter.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »
VOY 4.23 Living Witness
Writer: Bryan Fuller (Screenwriter), Brannon Braga (Screenwriter), Joe Menosky (Screenwriter), Brannon Braga (Original Material By)
Director: Tim Russ
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Henry Woronicz (Quarren), Rod Arrants (Vaskan Ambassador Daleth), Craig Richard Nelson (Vaskan Arbiter), Marie Chambers (Kyrian Arbiter), Brian Fitzpatrick (Tedran), Morgan H. Margolis (Vaskan Rioter), Mary Anne McGarry (Tabris), Timothy Davis-Reed (Kyrian Spectator)

This episode is set 700 years in the future of a planet Voyager had contact with. Their history doesn't portray Voyager in a favorible light until the doctor gets the chance to set the record straight.
I always liked how this episode plays with the characters similar to the "Mirror" universe episodes of DS9 and TOS. And it shows how the historical facts can be miconstrued when relying on few data. This leads to have the Voyager crew portrayed in total different light (except maybe for Mr. Paris :laugh: ) by the future society of this planet.
I always enjoyed this episode, even though it is based on a big plot hole: In the entire course of the series, it is always pointed out, that the program of the doctor is so complex, that it cannot be copied. If his program is lost, so is the doctor. But here we suddenly have a backup of the doctor, somehow left back at this planet. And added to that, the backup seems to have been synchronised rather recent before the backup has been lost.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »
VOY 4.14 Message in a Bottle
Writer: Lisa Klink (Screenwriter), Rick Williams (Original Material By)
Director: Nancy Malone
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Judson Scott (Commander Rekar), Valerie Wildman (Nevala), Andy Dick (EMH-2), Tony Sears (Starfleet Officer), Tiny Ron (Hirogen), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

The doctor gets sent through an alien communication network to the alpha quadrant on a Starfleet starship prototype. There he has to battle off Romulans who have taken over the ship with the help of the prototype of his successor program (played by Andy Dick). I always enjoyed this episode for the interplay between the two doctors.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »
TOS 2.04 Mirror, Mirror
Writer: Jerome Bixby (Writer), Gene Roddenberry (Original Characters By)
Director: Marc Daniels
Cast: William Shatner (Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock), DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy), Barbara Luna (Marlena), James Doohan (Scott), George Takei (Sulu), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), Vic Perrin (Tharn), Walter Koenig (Chekov), John Winston (Lt. Kyle), Garth Pillsbury (Wilson), Pete Kellett (Kirk's Henchman)

I will be running a theme now: The "Mirror Universe" episodes. The beginning is of course the episode, where it all started.
One of my favorite TOS episodes. It is responsible that we will forever associate the evil twin with having a beard because of Mr. Spock. It is fun to see the cast in a different light. And of course I always enjoy good parallel universe episodes.
Pay attention at the end and you will notice that the last scene of this episode was used in DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations". The only scene which was not derived from "The Trouble With Tribbels".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
DS9 2.23 Crossover
Writer: Gene Roddenberry (Original Characters By), Peter Allan Fields (Screenwriter), Michael Piller (Screenwriter), Peter Allan Fields (Original Material By)
Director: David Livingston
Cast: Avery Brooks (Commander Sisko), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Siddig El Fadil (Doctor Bashir), Terry Farrell (Lieutenant Dax), Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien), Armin Shimerman (Quark), Nana Visitor (Major Kira), Andrew Robinson (Garak), John Cothran, Jr. (Telok), Stephen Gevedon (Klingon #1), Jack R. Orend (Human), Dennis Madalone (Marauder)

The mirror universe is revisited 100 years after Kirk travelled to it. It is a nice idea that Kirk's visit and influence on the Mirror-Spock is cause of the fall of the Terran Empire.
It is again fun to see another side of the characters. The producers seem to like the chance of killing off the main characters in the mirror universe episodes. Here Quark and Odo bite the dust.
During this episode I was thinking, that having Worf there would have been very fitting. And just now I have read, that they intended to do that (he was even in the script), but Michael Dorn was too busy filming TNG.
I had almost forgotten how annoying Bashir was to the other characters early in the series.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
DS9 3.19 Through the Looking Glass
Writer: Ira Steven Behr (Writer), Robert Hewitt Wolfe (Writer)
Director: Winrich Kolbe
Cast: Avery Brooks (Commander Sisko), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Siddig El Fadil (Doctor Bashir), Terry Farrell (Lieutenant Dax), Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien), Armin Shimerman (Quark), Nana Visitor (Major Kira), Andrew Robinson (Garak), Felecia M. Bell (Jennifer), Max Grodénchik (Rom), Tim Russ (Tuvok), John Patrick Hayden (Cardassian Overseer), Dennis Madalone (Marauder)

Sisko is brought to the mirror universe to save the mirror version of his dead wife.
It is again fun to see the other side. Nice touch to have a mirror Tuvok there.
I love how Sisko jumped at the chance to sleep with Dax without repercussions :laugh: And she did look really hot with that hairstyle!

Rating: