Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Comedy  (Read 9700 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Comedy
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:15:42 AM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Comedy
This weekend I wanted to choose something that would open up many choices to decide from... but at the same time have some sort of theme. So I decided to go with the comedy genre. Besides... after the week I have I could use a few laughs!

I have a load of comedy in my collection... I will list several here that I would be willing to watch this weekend. The titles I have in BOLD are movies I never seen before. If there is any movies here you would be interested in seeing me review just let me know and I will do my best to fit it in this weekend.

13 Going on 30
50 First Dates
The Adventures of Pinocchio
Africa Screams
Anger Management
At War with the Army
Baby Geniuses
Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III
Beat the Devil
Bedazzled
Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop II
Beverly Hills Cop III
Bewitched
Big Daddy
Big Top Peewee
Billy Madison
Blast from the Past
Brewster's Millions
Bruce Almighty
Cheaper by the Dozen (2003)
City Slickers
Clean Slate
Daddy Day Care
EdTV
Evan Almighty
Evolution
Freaky Friday (2003)
Happy Gilmore
Joe Somebody
The Pajama Game
The Princess Diaries
Ready to Rumble
Road to Bali
Rush Hour 2
Serving Sara
Showtime
Son of the Mask
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
The Waterboy
What a Woman Wants

Now... I may throw in some others if the mood hits me... but there is plenty above to request some reviews from. As I said.. if you ask I will do my best to get to them... but no promises... so don't keep me to it!  :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Comedy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »
I think your week was horrorable so... :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
 :laugh: That it was Kathy!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

What Women Want
Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt light up the screen in this winning romantic comedy about a man who thinks he's God's gift to women – until he hears what they're really thinking.

Gibson plays Nick Marshall, a swinging bachelor scaling the corporate ladder of one of Chicago's hottest ad agencies. But Nick's fast-track success is derailed when the agency overlooks him and hires beautiful Darcy McGuire (Helen Hunt) as the new creative director. As Nick's prospects begin to dim, he is jolted by a freak accident that leaves him with an extraordinary ability: he can hear what women think – and want!

Using his newfound gift to his advantage, Nick schemes to undermine Darcy by listening to her thoughts and stealing her ideas until something happens that he didn't account for – he hears his own inner voice...and realizes he's in love. Co-starring Marisa Tomei, What Women Want is "a laugh-out-loud celebration of the sexes."*

*Mark S. Allen, UPN-TV

Stars:
Helen Hunt
Mel Gibson
Allan Alda
Marisa Tomei

My Thoughts:
This movie is one I have watched several times over. There is just something about this movie I like. I really enjoyed the whole arrogant and ignorant lady's man getting the power to read the minds of women and finding out he didn't know women the way he thought he did. And the whole daughter storyline really added to the show nicely.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
It's interesting to me that I haven't noticed either Mel Gibson or Helen Hunt showing up in new movies for awhile.  I guess Mel is keeping his distance for awhile due to that whole blow-up he had...and I suppose it's possible Helen has been doing things and I just haven't noticed it.  After all, I don't make it to the theaters like I used to.  The only movies I've seen in theaters the last couple of years are westerns.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:37:08 AM »
Gibson isn't keeping his head down. He said a few years ago that he would be doing very few roles in front of the camera and concentrating more on directing and producing. It's only a year or two since Apocalypto and he's mega-rich now anyway from Passion of the Christ. All that said, he has got a new film coming out soon that he leads called Edge of Darkness, a thriller. IMDB shows a few others too.

Helen Hunt has gone quiet, but she's in the unfortunate position of being a forty-something female. For women in Hollywood, she might as well be dead!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

Africa Screams
In this lively comedy classic, shifty bookseller Buzz Johnson cons adventuress Diana Emerson into believing fellow salesman Stanley Livingston is an expert on Africa in order to bilk money from the wealthy woman. However, the plucky Diana has planned an expedition into the heart of the Dark Continent in search of a lost diamond mine. Coincidentally, mild-mannered Stanley has memorized a rare book that contained the treasure map, and despite Stanley's irrational fear of wild animals, Buzz insists they join Diana and her two crooked henchmen on the safari. Their wacky trek brings them face-to-face with a nearsighted explorer and his prissy assistant, a cannibal chief, a couple of lion tamers, a pair of off-course boxers, and an amorous gorilla that falls in love with Stanley!

Stars:
Bud Abbott
Lou Costello
Hillary Brooke

My Thoughts:
This movie I got in that free boxset of classic movies for subscribing to Total Movie magazine... so the quality of this disc is definitely lacking. But it is watchable. This is a pretty good movie... but definitely not the best Abbott and Costello movie to choose from. Despite not being the best... there is a few laughs to be had with this one. Other then the above stars there is a couple other familiar faces in this movie. One being Shemp Howard (The Three Stooges) and Max Baer (The Beverly Hillbillies). And then there is Joe Besser... which to me was one of those people I know when I see him... but till today had no idea what his name was.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »

M*A*S*H
One of the world's most acclaimed comedies, M*A*S*H focuses on three Korean War Army surgeons brilliantly brought to life by Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt and Elliott Gould. Though highly skilled and deeply dedicated, they adopt a hilarious, lunatic lifestyle as an antidote to the tragedies of their Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and in the process infuriate Army bureaucrats. Robert Duvall, Gary Burghoff and Sally Kellerman co-star as a sanctimonious Major, an other-worldly Corporal, and a self-righteous yet lusty nurse.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have not watched in years. It is a fun movie to watch... I enjoy it. But I do prefer the series over this movie. That could be because I grew up watching the series. While the movie was fun it lacked the style of comedy that the series is so well known for. My interest in the movie strayed a bit once they got to the football game. I mean it was ok... but not sure it worked well with the rest of the movie. Especially where they had Hot Lips lead the cheerleaders. That just seemed out of character for her going by the rest of the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »

City Slickers
More hilarious than ever, and packing a slew of special features, including behind-the-scenes featurettes, commentary and deleted scenes, it's the insightful, delightful film about cowboys, careers and mid-life crises starring comic genius Billy Crystal and Oscar® Winner Jack Palance*!

Thirty-nine-year-old New Yorker Mitch Robbins (Crystal) is tired of his job and bored with his life. So he and his two best friends (Bruno Kirby and Daniel Stern) trade their briefcases for saddle bags and set out to find freedom and adventure herding cattle under the wide New Mexico sky. But what they discover instead is scorching sun, sore backsides...and more about themselves and each other than they ever thought possible!

*1991, Supporting Actor, 'City Slickers'

Stars:
Billy Crystal
Daniel Stern
Bruno Kirby
Patricia Wettig
Helen Slater
Jack Palance

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie so much a few months ago when I bought it that I had the urge to watch it again. I really enjoy this movie... it is hilarious. I think I laughed more on this movie then I have in the entire past month combined. It is probably my favorite Billy Crystal movie. The rest of the cast was great as well. Watching Helen Slater in this movie got me a little in the mood to watch Supergirl again... but I think I will save that for another time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

NOTE: I already reviewed this movie for this site... and my opinion hasn't changed so no need to add this one to the list!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »
Kind of odd seeing a row of comedy reviews from you, Pete. :headscratch:

Well, just little more than 5 weeks to go. :training:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »
LOL.... and those 5 weeks can't go by fast enough for me!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »

Joe Somebody
Joe Scheffer (funnyman Tim Allen - Galaxy Quest, The Santa Clause) is a mild-mannered single dad who's overworked and underappreciated at the office. But when the company bully knocks him down in front of his daughter, this Nobody decides to become Joe Somebody – and kick some butt! With hilariously helpful training from a kung-foolish martial arts pro (Jim Belushi), Joe just might score a knockout in this irresistible family comedy filled with "non-stop laughs"! (Wireless Magazine)

Stars:
Tim Allen
Julie Bowen
Kelly Lynch
Greg Germann
Hayden Panettiere
Patrick Warburton

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that I have only watched once... when I first bought it 4 years ago. It is a pretty good comedy... but not great. Most of the comedy is very low-key. But it is entertaining. One thing that I saw in the credits really surprised me. The daughter in this movie is played by Hayden Panettiere who now plays Claire (the cheerleader) in the series Heroes.  And talk about a difference in character. She is younger... and in this she is much more tom-boyish.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »

Serving Sara
Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley make an irresistable screen team in this "sexy, zany and over-the-top road movie that breaks all the rules"!**

Perry stars as Joe Tyler, a process server who will do anything it takes to deliver legal documents to unsuspecting victims. But nothing in Joe's bag of tricks prepares him for Sara (Hurley), the stunning, soon-to-be ex-wife of a playboy cattle baron named Gordon Moore (Bruce Campbell). When Joe serves Sara with Gordon's divorce papers, Sara presents an offer Joe can't refuse: serve Gordon with Sara's papers first... and earn a cool million dollars!

Pursued by Joe's greedy boss (Cederic the Entertainer) and bumbling office rival (Vincent Pastore), Joe and Sara begin a wildly funny journey to find Gordon... and discover that nothing heats up romance like riches and revenge.

Stars:
Matthew Perry
Elizabeth Hurley
Vincent Pastore
Bruce Campbell
Cedric the Entertainer

My Thoughts:
This movie is a lot of fun. I have watched it a few times since I bought it several years back... and it is always good for a few laughs. Where Joe pretends to be a vet and has to put his arm up the back side of the bull definitely springs to mind here. And gotta love the way Sara got that free motel room. Just wish the camera would have shown us what that guy got to see! All the stars did a fine job in this one... and Elizabeth Hurley looked as awesome as ever. It is definitely worth the time to see this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete