Author Topic: The Proposal  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Proposal
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »
I went to see The Proposal a few weeks ago.  The movie is a bit predictable and silly at times, but I enjoyed it.

Margaret is a dragon lady at work and most of the other people in her area can't stand her.  Her assistant Andrew does everything he can to keep her happy, hoping for a promotion.  Margaret is from Canada, and she has a problem with her visa and it facing deportation.  She comes up with an idea to stay in the country and she tells her boss that she and Andrew are engaged.  He's shocked, but agrees to go along with the plan if he will finally get his promotion.  Things aren't going well though since the man from immigration decides that they are lying.  Margaret and Andrew head to his family's home in Alaska for his grandmother's birthday in an attempt to appear like a more believable couple.

I think the movie is considered a romantic comedy, but there really isn't a lot of romance to what is going on.  I think it is more of a comedy with just a touch of romance.  Some of the situations are silly, but they are funny.  The plot isn't that complex and certain things are rather predictable, but there are one or two small surprises as well.  The characters are really good, especially Grandma Annie.  Betty White is wonderful in the part.  I also really liked Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock in their parts.

The movie won't appeal to everyone, but I think it is fun and entertaining.  Fans of the cast, especially Sandra Bullock, should give it a chance.

:thumbup:

I did get a review posted at Epinions.

The Proposal

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Proposal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »
I enjoy this tyoe of movie; but mainly when I catch them on TV... The story has been told many times in the past and there is nothig that screams "big screen!" at me. However, like I said, I do enjoy these films and the trailer made me want to look out for it on TV later on.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »
I understand that.  It isn't that original overall..just a few ..unique elements pop up once or twice.  I tend to see more movies in the theater since the price isn't too bad here...it isn't as expensive here as it is in a lot of other places.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »
I understand that.  It isn't that original overall..just a few ..unique elements pop up once or twice.  I tend to see more movies in the theater since the price isn't too bad here...it isn't as expensive here as it is in a lot of other places.
Well, how much you pay for watchign a show like this?

Here in Taiwan I pay approx. $8-9 for one film. I can buy a bundle for $90 and then get to watch each film for approx. $7 until the package runs empty. Of course, IMAX is more expensive just as second run theaters are cheaper.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
It was $4.00 for this one..early bird matinee...first showing of each movie every day.
Normal matinee price is $4.50
After 6 pm it is $6.00

The theater just started showing 3D movies..those are $6.25 for matinee...probably about $8.00 after 6 pm

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »
I would watch The Proposal in a $4 matinee...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
I'm lucky the theater here hasn't jacked the prices up too much.  I wouldn't go to as many in the theater if it was more expensive.