Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Western Round-Up  (Read 14603 times)

Najemikon

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Western Round-Up
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:14 AM »
Last night I watched the Lawrence Kasdan edition of "The Directors" and Kasdan (the director) talked about this movie some.  Apparently, Costner originally envisioned this as a 6-hour mini-series (HBO maybe if my memory serves me right) and he then got Kasdan to come in (they had done Silverado together) and it was redone as a feature film.  Kasdan wasn't overall pleased with the film...he felt it was a combination of the two projects that didn't really work.  He felt the best part of his film was the Doc Holliday character, played by Dennis Quaid who lost about 40 pounds to play the character.  I'll have to watch this soon myself.

Wow... can't imagine him thinking Doc Holiday was the best part of this film. Not that he was bad... not in any sense of the word... but I thought the rest of the film was very good as well. Of course what do I know... I am still pretty much a newbie when it comes to Westerns!  :P

I thought Quaid was nothing short of magnificent and much better than Kilmer in Tombstone, and he wasn't exactly bad! I've been meaning to watch Wyatt Earp again for quite some time, but somehow never get around to it. Glad you enjoyed it, Pete!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

The Lone Ranger: The Return of the Convict
After serving a prison term for a crime he didn't commit, a man returns home bitter and determined to learn the truth from the witnesses that testified falsely against him.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but not one that is particularly great. A little slower of an episode for my taste. But is worth watching. Nothing really special happened worth talking about actually... just a standard episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

Winds of the Wasteland
John Blair and his partner Larry purchase a run-down stagecoach line and enter a race with competing stage operator Cal Drake for the rights to a government mail-delivery contract. But Drake is dishonest and uses his villainous flunky Smoky to attempt John's and Larry's defeat, by any means necessary

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies I got in the 20 Greatest Westerns: Heroes & Bandits boxset that I found in the Walmart Bargain Bin recently. When I bought the set I knew not to expect very good movies despite the name of the boxset... and I also knew not to expect much quality wise. But I figured 20 movies for $5... what the hell... why not. So needless to say I was a little worried when I popped this one into the player.  Now I can't say it will be so with all the movies in this set... but in the case of Winds of the Wasteland the quality, while not good, really wasn't too bad. Sure it could have been a hell of a lot better... but it is definitely watchable. And OMG... John Wayne was young in this movie! This has to be the earliest of his movies I have ever seen. This movie was released in 1936.

I really enjoyed this story. It was interesting.... everything moved along quickly... and they also had some comedic relief in the form of an older guy played by Lew Kelly. Between some of the things he said and done... he had me literally laughing out loud a few times. I especially liked how while riding in the back of the stage coach that was being shot at he took the cushion off the seat and hide behind it as if it would stop a bullet. Then I also liked at the end of the movie where he had himself a pet skunk on a leash. This movie had a lot of Western action and comedic situations all rolled up in a movie that only lasted 56 minutes! This movie alone made it worth it to me to get this cheap low-budget boxset.  Only thing that would have made it better is if the quality was even a little better. I would give the movie itself 4 stars... but the lower then desired quality will knock it down to to 3 and a half.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »
That's the kind of movie I mean when I refer to "B" westerns...cheap movies shot in about a week...and many of them aimed at younger viewers.  You have another of Duke's B's in that set...Blue Steel.  Maybe you'll want to watch that after you watch a longer film...though I doubt you have any others as long as Wyatt Earp.  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
Well... I tell you what... I enjoyed that "B" Western... and looking forward to checking out more like it. :)

After the episode of The Lone Ranger I will probably watch Open Range.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »

The Lone Ranger: Six Gun's Legacy
Outlaws stop a stagecoach and shoot the passengers in order to impersonate a young Easterner.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. I really enjoyed the story. I am surprised to say that I now have my daughter Brittany enjoying The Lone Ranger as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »

Open Range
Packed with epic action, Open Range is a powerfully gripping story that's never been told until now, and stars Academy Award® winners Robert Duvall (John Q) and Kevin Costner (Tin Cup), and Academy Award® nominee Annette Bening (American Beauty). A group of free grazers, four men trying to escape their pasts, are driving cattle and living off the land on the open range — a place where nature makes the only laws. when a ruthless, evil rancher tries to run them out of town, the men's peaceful existence takes a tumultuous turn and ends in the grittiest, most explosive gunfight on film as two men battle a town for honor, justice and a way of life that's quickly disappearing.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I have never seen before. Not hard to believe since I just recently gotten into Western movies. I was told before watching this movie that this one had some beautiful photography. And I agree with that. It makes me wish I got to see this one at the theater. It is a good movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit... though I would say that parts of it moved a little on the slow side. But over-all it is definitely worth checking out if you are in the mood for a Western.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

The Lone Ranger: Rustler's Hideout
The Lone Ranger infiltrates a gang who are holding hostage the son of one of a group of ranchers who captured the gang's leader.

My Thoughts:
Anoher good episode. I  liked the storyline. I liked how The Lone Ranger got the hostage away from the rustlers.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »

The Hanged Man
An ex-gunslinger who survives his own hanging turns into a mystical avenger fighting for justice in the Old West, coming first to the help of a young widow who is trying to keep her silver mine from the clutches of an unscrupulous land baron.

My Thoughts:
This is the second movie I have now watched out of that 20 Great Westerns boxset I found in the Walmart Bargain Bin. This is actually a TV Movie from 1974. When I found that out I was quick to pop this one in... as it has been my experience that I really enjoy the TV movies from the '70s. In this case I would say it is a decent movie... but nothing really great. While it was a good story... I just didn't care about any of the characters in this movie.

Once again the quality of this movie is better then I expected. Even though the image was a little on the dull side... for the most part the image was clear and more then watchable... with only a little dust noticeable on the film. And no problems with the sound either. At least not on the cheap standard TV and extremely old Surround Sound that I have. One of these days I need to get me some new equipment where I can really judge the quality of the DVDs I watch.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
Well, I'm, always curious as to who's in movies, especially westerns, so I looked this up in one of my books since you didn't mention any cast members.  I found some pretty familiar names here: Steve Forrest, Cameron Mitchell, Dean Jagger, Will Geer, Ray Teal and a favorite character actor, Hank Worden though he's way down in the credits so he probably didn't have much of a part in this one.  :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »
I didn't recognize any of the names myself... but that is not surprising.  :P

The only name that looked even half way familiar is that of Sharon Acker... and that is only because I am so familiar with Amy Acker (Angel, Dollhouse)... wonder if maybe Sharon Acker is her mother?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »

The Lone Ranger: Pete and Pedro
The Lone Ranger tries to convince a couple of no-accounts to come to the aid of a young girl in danger of losing her land to a neighbor.

My Thoughts:
This is a really fun episode. Not only is there lots of good action... but there is plenty of laughs with the characters of Pete and Pedro (Played by Rufe Davis and Don Diamond). Probably one of my favorite episodes of the few I have in this set.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »

Blue Steel
When Sheriff Jake sees a man at the safe and then finds the payroll gone, he trails him. Just as he is about to arrest him, the man saves his life. Still suspicious, he joins up with the man and later they learn that Melgrove, the towns leading citizen, is trying to take over the area's ranches by having his gang stop all incoming supply wagons. With the ranchers about to sell to Melgrove, the two newcomers say they will bring in provisions.

My Thoughts:
Another from the 20 Great Westerns boxset I got from the Walmart Bargain Bin. This movie stars John Wayne in one of his earlier roles. Also in this one is George Hayes and Eleanor Hunt. Though I am not familiar with them. While I enjoyed the other John Wayne movie I watched (Winds of the Wasteland) quite a bit... this one not so much. It just wasn't nearly as entertaining for me. The quality wasn't up there either. Some scenes the audio and video was very good... but in other scenes there was a lot of dust and scratches... and there as a low hissing in the audio.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
Too bad you didn't care that much for Blue Steel.  I seem to recall liking it but I haven't seen it in probably over 10 years.  I should point out, however, that George Hayes is probably the most famous character actor to ever work in westerns...but most people just call him Gabby Hayes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
I would have recognized the name Gabby Hayes! I took the name from the actual credits so... I am sure I didn't recognize him himself because it is such an old movie.

Well... looks like I will have to end this marathon now. We have company here this afternoon so don't look like I will have much time for movies for most the rest of the day. Well at least it has been fun... and hey... all real Westerns this time huh Roger?  :P
Pete