Author Topic: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:11 AM »
I enjoyed Transformers for the most part when it came out, though I did think it had some issues.  I've been wanting to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  I wasn't expecting it to be anything more than an entertaining action movie.  It makes a decent mindless action movie but it has some issues.

Some of the Autobots, including Optimus Prime, have been working with a secret organization that was formed to deal with the Decepticons that are still on Earth.  The Decepticons have a new plan that involves them tracking down Megatron and bringing him back.

Sam is getting ready to go to college without his girlfriend Mikaela and Bumblee, his Autobot protector.  Sam ends up with information that the Decepticons need to implement their plan, so he becomes a target again.  That wrecks his plans for trying to have a normal life.

The movie is long, but the plot is really simple, with much of what is shared just being there to serve as filler between the action scenes.  A few things are introduced, like Mikaela's father being back, that ultimately add nothing to the movie.  The plot really is rather thin, which makes the movie weaker.  I do think it was a bit too long.  There is nothing serious about the movie.  There are several things added for humor and while they were funny, many of them were a bit crude or silly.

The action scenes are entertaining and mostly well done, though there are so many action scenes that they get a bit overbearing.  The special effects lose some of their impact and coolness because of that.  Michael Bay isn't one of my favorite directors and his style hasn't changed.  He still uses tons of quick cuts which makes it very difficult to tell what is going on at times.  The camera work is shaky in several scenes, something else that bugs me.  There are so many quick cuts in a some sequences, that some things just pass in a blur.  I really hate that.

The acting is fine, though nothing really great.  There is basically no development to the characters, so they are just sort of there.  Many of the robots blend together and I can't tell some of them apart.  Sam is a decent character and he has a little bit of development related to him heading off to college. 

I was not impressed with Megan Fox - though I know that male viewers will probably feel differently, especially since she shows up in some very skimpy outfits and even does a bit of a strip tease at one point. 

Overall, it is an entertaining mindless action movie, though it could have been better with a stronger story and better camera work.  Fans of the first movie will probably find something to like.  Some people may just be happy to sit and drool over Megan Fox. ;)

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look. :)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:40 AM »
Michael Bay / long movie = no surprise
Michael Bay / simple plot = no surprise

The humor should be fine for me, as long as Bumblebee doesn't start peeing on policemen again.

I guess what I am saying is: I assume your review is spot on. :thumbup:

In an interview the director of the The Hitcher remake said, that he once asked Michael bay for advice. Michael said: If the action doesn't seem to work, shake the camera.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:38 AM »
Michael Bay / long movie = no surprise
Michael Bay / simple plot = no surprise

The humor should be fine for me, as long as Bumblebee doesn't start peeing on policemen again.

I guess what I am saying is: I assume your review is spot on. :thumbup:

In an interview the director of the The Hitcher remake said, that he once asked Michael bay for advice. Michael said: If the action doesn't seem to work, shake the camera.

Bumblebee doesn't do anything like that again thankfully.  There are a few sort of ...crude things done for humor, but they aren't too bad.

It doesn't surprise me that Bay said that.  Someone needs to shake him...might shake some sense into him.  I've enjoyed a lot of his movies, but I'm so sick of the shaky camera crap...and I don't consider him a good director at all.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »
I liked Bumblepee!  ;D

But Michael Bay does have a habit of being OTT on stuff like that. Bad Boys II was a mess and most of it very crude. I did read in the Empire review that there's a bit with one of the Decepticons scaling a pyramid with what look like... testicles... dragging behind him... :-X

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
I liked Bumblepee!  ;D

But Michael Bay does have a habit of being OTT on stuff like that. Bad Boys II was a mess and most of it very crude. I did read in the Empire review that there's a bit with one of the Decepticons scaling a pyramid with what look like... testicles... dragging behind him... :-X

That would be Devestator.  And yup..it does look like that.  The camera was aimed right at that area at one point and while I was sitting there thinking is that what I think it is, a character had to remark on it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:00:52 AM »
I watched Transformers 2 yesterday and really have almost nothing to add to Dragonfire's review, that's how spot-on I think it is.

The film is clearly too long for what little story it has to tell. The first one wasn't much shorter but it definitely had me entertained much more. It's also a problem that it's all played out too seriously, more tongue-in-cheek would have been good.

Besides the testicles of Devestator there is also a little one which farts ::)

At least to Jon:
I recently started to listen to Mark Kermode's podcast (:thumbup:) and he ripped this film a new one, with pretty much all the things from the above review. It's well worth to listen to.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
I watched Transformers 2 yesterday and really have almost nothing to add to Dragonfire's review, that's how spot-on I think it is.

The film is clearly too long for what little story it has to tell. The first one wasn't much shorter but it definitely had me entertained much more. It's also a problem that it's all played out too seriously, more tongue-in-cheek would have been good.

Besides the testicles of Devestator there is also a little one which farts ::)

At least to Jon:
I recently started to listen to Mark Kermode's podcast (:thumbup:) and he ripped this film a new one, with pretty much all the things from the above review. It's well worth to listen to.

I was entertained more by the first one too.  I think this one would have been better if it had been shorter.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
As Mark Kermode said in the above mentioned podcast (iTunes link), and I merely paraphrase:

90min of robots beating each other up can be entertaining, but 150min of the same is clearly too much.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
Haven't seen it yet. I kinda liked the first one, but already found the robot battle at the end a bit too much.

Anyway, I read some bits and pieces here and there, and what surprises me is that Megan Fox (the hot girl) kinda bashes the movie. Aren't there usual contractual obligations that require a certain amount of promotional lip service from the stars? Even funnier though is the reply from toy master Michael Bay, who thinks MF has a lot of growing up to do.

Oh, and just for Jon: Jim Emerson (editor of the Ebert website) said: "Transformers 2 is the Dark Knight of 2009." Heh.
Yeah, it's quoted out of context, but it made me laugh.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:26:24 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »
Haven't seen it yet. I kinda liked the first one, but already found the robot battle at the end a bit too much.

Anyway, I read some bits and pieces here and there, and what surprises me is that Megan Fox (the hot girl) kinda bashes the movie. Aren't there usual contractual obligations that require a certain amount of promotional lip service from the stars? Even funnier though is the reply from toy master Michael Bay, who thinks MF has a lot of growing up to do.

Oh, and just for Jon: Jim Emerson (editor of the Ebert website) said: "Transformers 2 is the Dark Knight of 2009." Heh.
Yeah, it's quoted out of context, but it made me laugh.

I'll ignore that! :tease:

The thing I enjoyed about the first one is that it was pretty dumb, but also innocent and never took itself too seriously. I felt like Michael Bay was a big kid playing with his toys, bashing them together while making whoosh noises with his mouth. Therefore it made certain viewers feel like when they used to do the same. This one doesn't sound like it's as innocent.  :(

Boomstick98

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 05:24:58 AM »
I was a little let down with Transformers 2. I mean I realized it was just going to be mindless action with giant robots smashing into each other and thats great. The thing is I would actually like to be able to see it. I don't mind a little shaky cam to make you feel like your in the action but enough is enough. I felt like I was missing the action because the camera wouldn't stop shaking and moving around. I am not a fan of this style of camera work.