Author Topic: Up  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Up
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »
I went to see the new Pixar movie Up today. 

After a long, mostly happy life with his wife Ellie, Carl is trying to deal with being alone and the changes going on around their home.  He decides to finally go to South America like they had planned for years, though he uses an unique mode of transportation.  Russell, a young Wilderness Explorer ends up along for the trip.  Once in South America, their adventure continues as they try to get to a specific spot.  Along the way, they encounter Dug, a talking dog, a goofy bird that Russell names Kevin, and Charles Muntz, an explorer that had been the hero of Carl and Ellie in their childhood.

My Thoughts

I loved this movie.  The plot is a bit different, especially for an animated movie, but it works so well and makes for a wonderful movie.  Time is taken at the beginning to introduce Carl and even show highlights of his relationship with Ellie.  Only glimpses of their life together are shown, but it is enough to know how strong their marriage was.  Those few minutes lay the foundation for the heart and emotion that the movie has.  There are a few sad scenes in the movie that might make some people cry.  The movie is incredibly touching and has more emotion than the live action movies I've seen this year. 

Some of what is going on during the movie is silly, but it works and blends perfectly with the more serious moments.  The balance between silliness and sweet, touching things is just right.  There is a lot of humor in the movie, much of which is provided by Dug and Kevin.  That bird is just so goofy that I can't help but crack up.  The movie didn't resort to gross humor like many other animated movies do.  The plot is interesting and makes for a very enjoyable movie.  The animation is stunningly beautiful.

This is the first Pixar movie to be done in 3D.  It is the first movie that I've seen in 3D..the theater here finally upgraded or whatever to show 3D movies.  I have seen the normal versions of some other movies that were also available in 3D, and with those other movies, I usually could pick out things that were done specifically because of the 3D to make the audience jump.  That wasn't done in Up and Pixar didn't use the 3D as a gimmick.  The 3D just ...enhanced things without distracting from the plot.  I did enjoy the 3D stuff.  Even the trailers before the movie were in 3D.

Overall, this is an excellent movie that deserves to be seen. 

:thumbup:

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Up

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Up
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:28:04 AM »
Really looking forward to this myself. Hope it'll come out here before long.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
October. The UK gets this in... October.

:weep:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »

I know. :( :(  Someone who posts on Epinions mentioned this on the board there on Thursday or Friday.  I don't understand why there is such a huge difference in the release dates.  All these other movies manage to open worldwide on the same day, or within a few weeks, so Up should be able to do that too.  Like he said, the DVD will probably be out here by then.  The movie is amazing, and it is a shame that other countries have to wait so much longer - even though it is so worth it - to see it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:47:43 PM »

Especially since you don't even need to worry about dubbing. There's no reasonable explanation why they wouldn't release it at the same time than the US.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »
All these other movies manage to open worldwide on the same day, or within a few weeks
Not necessary, I remember clearly that I've imported The Descent from the UK when it was shown here theatrically. Another one that I've bought a long time before it appeared in the theatre here is Mother of Tears (I haven't watch it yet almost a year later :laugh:).

So it works the same way in America and Europe, not always but often...

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »
I can understand it when it's a distribution problem and different companies having rights, which would have been the case with The Descent. But this is Disney, but crying out loud!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:41 AM »
Did something like this happen with WALL-E last year too? 

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:52 AM »
No. I just double-checked on IMDB and they were a month apart...  :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:33:17 AM »
I didn't think there had been that kind of delay, but I couldn't remember for sure. 
Sheesh...October is insane.