Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 471915 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »

Title: Planet Blood
Year: 2008
Director: Scott Patrick
Rating: NR
Length: 57 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Extras:
Scene Access

Stars:
Brett Kelly
Lisa Meuser
Ray Besharah
Teresa Pike
Jenna Jay

Plot:
After a comet struck the Earth, destroying most of the populace, a man Justin lives alone in his house, haunted by fear and guilt. As he fights with his inner demons, he also must deal with swarms of flesh-eating vampires who appeared from the bowels of the Earth after the apocalypse.

My Thoughts:
After looking over Jimmy's thread I noticed this is one of the ones he liked... so thought I would start with it. This movie is from that cheap 50 movie boxset... Mortuary of Madness. While far from the worst movie in this set... I didn't appreciate it quite as much as our friend Jimmy did. I basically found it to be an average movie... not bad... but not good either. I think what really bothered me the most was the blood effects. I just couldn't get past how badly that was done. But the movie does have some good points too. The movie being as short as it is... it doesn't lag any... so keeps your interest. And the main guy... Brett Kelly... was pretty good in it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »
I didn't appreciate it quite as much as our friend Jimmy did.
I'm always more partial for the Canadian movies made without governement money. But maybe I stand up for them too much :shrug:

Glad that you had appreciated it a little bit and you're right the blood effects are really bad (bad CGI I think :hmmmm:).   

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:01 PM »

Title: The Curse of the Cat People
Year: 1944
Director: Gunther V. Fritsch, Robert Wise
Rating: NR
Length: 70 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Simone Simon
Kent Smith
Jane Randolph
Ann Carter

Plot:
Simon returns in The Curse of the Cat People, a sequel in title and a landmark study of a troubled child in fact. Robert Wise makes his directing debut, co-helming a gothic-laced mix of fantasy and fright so astute it was used in college psychology classes.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This really is just a sequel in name only. The story itself had nothing to do with the first one... other then having a couple of the same characters. Definitely not what I was expecting when I bought it... but thankfully I was warned ahead of time and went in expecting it. And you know... I really enjoyed it. Just as much as I did the first one. The story is interesting... the time spent watching it just flew by. While I may have preferred a more straight forward sequel, I am glad I have this in my collection... and must say... give it a chance. As long as you go in knowing that this has extremely little to do with the first part I think you will like it. And once again... that Simone Simon is adorable... I just wish she had a bigger part in this on. I mean she has a nice sized part but took a while for you to see her for the first time. She isn't really in the beginning of the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 12:59:51 AM »
 :thumbup:

I wish modern film-makers could think like that more often. How many times have you seen a sequel that could be linked to the first film, but the story was fundamentally a different direction? It comes from a time when audiences were more willing to let themselves be led more. I don't think you could get away with that these days.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »
I seriously doubt they could get away with it now. But I can kinda understand it... as I think I would have been a little disappointed if I wasn't warned ahead of time. I mean I would have still enjoyed it very much... but there would have been a part of me as disappointed.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

Title: Star Trek
Year: 2009
Director: J. J. Abrams
Rating: PG-13
Length: 127 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Pine
Zachary Quinto
Leonard Nimoy
Eric Bana
Bruce Greenwood

Plot:
The future begins in J.J. Abrams' smash hit STAR TREK. When the Romulan Nero comes from the future to take revenge on the Federation, rivals Kirk and Spock must work together to stop him from destroying everything they know. On a thrilling journey filled with incredible action, the new recruits of the U.S.S. Enterprise will voyage through unimaginable danger in one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed movies of the year.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I have been wanting to see this one since they first announced that they were making it.... and I just couldn't wait any longer. I will be honest I really know very little about Star Trek. I never seen any of the early movies... it has been years since I seen the original series. With that being the case I can't say whether or not this one fits in right with the rest... but I will say I definitely enjoyed it! It had a lot of great action... and a very good story (even if I got confused at one part... think I stopped paying attention for a minute or two and got lost for a bit). I am definitely glad I caved and got this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
I never seen any of the early movies... it has been years since I seen the original series.

I recommend to at least check out "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". Besides being one of the best Star Trek movies, it is the one referenced the most in this new movie. Especially the "Kobayashi Maru". It also stands very well alone.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
Thanks Tom... will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy!
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 11:02:54 PM »
I would second that vote for Wrath of Khan, I did not like this new film  :bag: Wrath of Khan is great though :p

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
I have read people say they didn't care for it much... I wonder if that is because they are more into the previous ones. And where I never seen the previous ones I didn't have as much of a problem with it.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
I am yet to watch any Star Trek film or tv show.... ever! But I do want to check it out at some point. I was wondering for those who like it, what would you suggest I watch, film or tv that would be a good introductory thing to Star Trek?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »
I am yet to watch any Star Trek film or tv show.... ever! But I do want to check it out at some point. I was wondering for those who like it, what would you suggest I watch, film or tv that would be a good introductory thing to Star Trek?

I tend to recommend the new movie as introduction to Star Trek for someone who has never seen anything Star Trek. From the old movies, I recommend to watch "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" for the original crew. And "Star Trek: First Contact" with the Next Generation crew.

As for the TV shows: They all have the problem that they start rather weak and only found their footing in later seasons.

Critter

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
Thanks Tom I will try and get my hand on some of those films at some point. As for the TV shows I've watched a lot that start of slow and I'm willing to wait it out if they improve.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »
I have read people say they didn't care for it much... I wonder if that is because they are more into the previous ones. And where I never seen the previous ones I didn't have as much of a problem with it.

I was a huge Star Trek fan in the late 90s. I have seen every episode and every movie of Star Trek. I have seen the old movies countless times at the high point of my interest in Star Trek. After Nemesis I thought the franchise dead. But the new movie I really liked. I know people who do not know much about Star Trek and loved the new movie. But I also know people who are similar big fans of Star Trek as me, who also loved the new movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:10 AM »
I'm very much a casual fan. Occasional episodes I enjoy, but I've never watched any season on purpose. The first ST movie is simply annoying and I'd say fans only, but Wrath of Khan is superb. Anyone who likes sci-fi would enjoy that.

Of the others, I really enjoyed part 4! I know die-hard fans probably don't like it and honestly, I would probably agree if I was one of them, but it's really accessible and fun. Typical 80s movie actually! Then, was Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country? I loved that one. First Contact was another very accessible one I think and actually, a rather typical 90s sci-fi. I haven't seen any since, but I'm really looking forward to the new one.