Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467454 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »

Daylight
Rob Cohen directs and Sylvester Stallone stars in this urban underwater disaster drama with big-bang special effects by Industrial Light & Magic.

An accidental explosion rips through a jammed commuter tunnel beneath the Hudson River between Manhattan and New Jersey, sealing off both ends and trapping a diverse band of survivors inside. A disgraced former emergency medical services chief manages to reach them and then struggles through fire, noxious gases, explosions, collapsing walls, massive flooding and rats to lead them to daylight

Daylight co-stars Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortensen, Dan Hedaya, Jay O. Sanders, Karen Young, Claire Bloom and Vanessa Bell Calloway. Director Cohen works again with Executive Producer Raffaella De Laurentis, with whom he made Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and Dragonheart.

My Thoughts:
This morning I felt like an action-packed disaster movie. And this is one that I always liked. Sure it has it's share of plot-holes, It is basically a leave your brain at the door pop-corn movie. But it is a good one that I enjoyed a lot. This is a Collector's Edition DVD with a nice selection of extras.

Ratings:
Out of A Possible 5:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03:48 PM »

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood
The whole gang head west for Hazzard in Hollywood and a big-time recording deal. It turns out the deal includes a Russian mobster, a sultry songstress from the 'hood, and a beautiful blonde vice'mayor with the hots for Enos.

My Thoughts:
I am so torn on this one. Part of me loved every minute of it... as it was all the gang that I loved so much in The Dukes of Hazzard (minus Sorrel Brooks [Boss Hogg] & Denver Pyle [Uncle Jesse] who both has passed away before the making of this movie). But at the same time I hated the fact that it took us away from Hazzard to brought them to Hollywood where they are out of their element. But not only were they out of their element... (now maybe this was just me) but the entire movie seemed to make fun of the whole idea of country life. Of course they always do... but it felt like a different way. A way that just didn't feel right for the show. Of course there was definitely some great parts in it as well. Which was just barely enough saving grace for me so that I was not completely disappointed in the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »

Black Dog
Patrick Swayze, Randy Travis and Meat Loaf team up to deliver explosive nonstop high-speed action in this adrenaline-pumping highway road war. A 40-ton truck is a lethal weapon and veteran driver Jack Crews (Swayze) knows how to use it. Desperate for cash, he's got one last delivery to make. The trip's barely begun when he and his partner Earl (Travis) discover they've been set up and are being chased by Red (Meat Loaf), a relentless fanatic who's as deadly as he is greedy. Now, with his family, his life and his freedom on the line, Jack's going to buckle up, put the pedal down and show Red and the Feds a thing or two about road rage. After being double-crossed and rudely underestimated, Jack and Earl shift gears, becoming a two-man wrecking crew, trucking down the highway blazing a trail of diesel-powered destruction.

My Thoughts:
I bought this movie several years ago... and only watched it once. I am not sure why since I remember I enjoyed it at the time. And I remembered right... I did enjoy it. I have seen better... but this is a good way to waste an hour and a half. I mean you have the big rigs speeding down the road playing bumper cars... regular car chases... gun fights as well as a couple fist fights thrown in for good measures. Randy Travis' character didn't cut it for me... but I did like the character of Sonny Played by Gabriel Casseus. I like the legend of the Black Dog they talk about on here. It is the first I ever heard of it and see no mention of such a urban legend online from my short search so I imagine it is one the writers made up for this movie. But it was pretty cool.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »

Dressed to Kill (1946)
A convicted thief in Dartmoor prison hides the location of the stolen Bank of England printing plates inside three music boxes. When the innocent purchasers of the boxes start to be murdered, Holmes and Watson investigate.

My Thoughts:
all the sudden I got in the mood for some classic Sherlock Holmes movies. I haven't seen many of these... matter of fact I have 3 in my collection I never seen. I got this movie in the free 20 Disc 40 movie boxset I got for subscribing to Total Movie Magazine. So I thought I would at least work on those some today. It is the first time I ever seen this movie. It wasn't a bad movie... but I have seen better. The ending was kind of sudden and a bit contrived. Quality has been bad to decent in this boxset. This one the quality was ok... but definitely could have been better. There is some film damage that was  never cleaned.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »

The Incredible Hulk
Academy Award® nominee Edward Norton stars as scientist Bruce Banner, a man who has been living in shadows, scouring the planet for an antidote to the unbridled force of rage within him: the Hulk. But when the military masterminds who dream of exploiting his powers force him back to civilization, he finds himself coming face to face with his most formidable foe: the Abomination - a nightmarish beast of pure aggression whose powers match the Hulk's own!

Also starring Liv Tyler, Oscar® nominee Tim Roth, and Oscar® winner William Hurt, The Incredible Hulk is "steeped in action and spectacular special effects" (Claudia Puig, USA Today) and delivers a mind-blowing final showdown that can only be summed up with one word... INCREDIBLE!

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I watched this movie since I bought it back in January. And I must say... I enjoyed it the second time around just as much as I did the first time. The action... the effects... the story... I enjoyed it all. This is the way the first Hulk movie should have been done!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »

Knight Rider 2000
On the edge of loosing a local government contract, the Foundation and Devon recall Michael from retirement to oversee the completion of the Knight 4000. In a town where handguns are outlawed, crime has become rampant, and the current system of freezing convicts is not working. Michael returns on one condition, to reunited with his friend KITT. Sadly, KITT has been dismantled by KITT has been dismantled and the parts sold by Russell Maddock the new head of the Foundation. Devon manages to recover all but one chip which has been implanted in the head of Shawn McCormick, a female cop whose brain was destroyed by a bullet. He and Shawn, who has a chip on her shoulder as well as in her head, are teamed to stop the current handgun situation where they discover the hidden secrets of the local police department and restore KITT into a new vehicle.

My Thoughts:
This is a reunion movie that was hoped to become a whole new series... which unfortunately never happened. This reunion movie was a bonus feature of the Knight Rider: Season 1 boxset (which is why I used screen cap instead of cover above). I have heard a lot of people say they did not like this movie at all... I did though. I thought it was a good movie... though I do miss seeing the original K.I.T.T. From what I understand... this was supposed to serve as a pilot to s new spin-off series... unfortunately this never happened.  I know I would have liked to seen it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... no need to add it to the list.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »

Windtalkers
In the brutal World War II Battle of Saipan, Sergeant Jo Enders (Academy Award Winner Nicolas Cage) guards - and ultimately befriends - Ben Yahzee (Adam Beach), a young Navajo trained in the one wartime code never broken by the enemy, the Navajo Code. But if Yahzee shoudl fall into Japanese hands, how far will Enders go to save the military's most powerful secret?

My Thoughts:
This is one of the several I have that I never seen before. But I had always thought the trailer looked good. And I did enjoy this movie quite a bit. I didn't realize until I watched it that this movie was based on a true story. I never personally been much of a fan of Nicolas Cage... but never disliked him either. I do think he did a fine job in this movie. I would definitely recommend this movie... especially if you like war movies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:55:02 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »

Rush Hour
One's all talk...the other's all action!...Jackie Chan (Rumble in the Bronx, First Strike) and Chris Tucker (Money Talks, Friday) mix punches with punchlines in this hilarious action-comedy.

Cultures clash and tempers flare as these two cops from different worlds quickly discover one thing in common: they can’t stand each other. With time running out, they must join forces to catch the criminals -- if they don't kill each other first!

My Thoughts:
I felt like popping in a fun action movie. Something that I didn't have to think too much about... just be able to sit back and enjoy. Jackie Chan movies are great for such a mood. There is plenty of comedy as well as plenty of action. So yes I enjoyed every minute of this one. I thought Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker made a very good team... it was a lot of fun watching them together.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 08:48:52 PM »
I remember this movie and I liked it, too, though I haven't seen it in a couple of years or more.  I'm probably more of a Jackie Chan fan than a Chris Tucker fan, though...which may be one reason I prefer Shanghai Noon to this for a  "buddy" kind of movie.  My preference for westerns may also have something to do with that  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »
I haven't watched Shanghi Noon in a long time... I may have to watch it at some point this weekend!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »

The Day After Tomorrow
In this pulse-pounding action-thriller, global warming triggers the onset of a new Ice Age. As tornadoes flatten Los Angeles and a tidal wave engulfs New York City, the entire Northern Hemisphere begins to freeze solid. Now, climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid), his son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) and a small band of survivors must ride out the growing superstorm and stay alive.

My Thoughts:
This is the 3rd time I watched this movie since I bought it. Sure some of it is a bit over the top... but this is a very good natural disaster movie. There was some really amazing scenes to watch... such as the ship floating into the streets of New York. And the way the freezing air came down and froze the flag in mid-air. If there was anything I didn't like about this movie... it would be that jack-ass of a Vice President coming into power the way he did. If you never seen this movie it is definitely one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »

Shanghai Noon
Two cultures collide when East meets West in Shanghai Noon, a wildly hilarious, stunt filled action-comedy starring the death-defying action hero Jackie Chan (Rush Hour), Owen Wilson (Armageddon, The Haunting) and Lucy Liu (Payback, TV's Ally McBeal). Chan plays Chinese Imperial Guard Chon Wang (say it out loud) who hightails it to the wild and woolly West to rescue the beautiful kidnapped Princess Pei Pei (Liu). When he meets up with laid-back outlaw cowboy dude Roy O'Bannon (Wilson) -- the best mismatch ever made in the rough and tumble Old West -- the two face jail, brawls, bordellos and the vilest villains this side of the Great Wall. Spectacular stunts, outrageous irreverence and epic vistas reign as East meets West in a battle for honor, royalty and a fortune in gold! It's a real kick.

My Thoughts:
After watching Rush Hour yesterday... I was reminded of Shanghai Noon. Knowing I haven't seen this movie in years I decided to watch it today. Like most of Jackie Chan's movies... this one is fun to watch. I do think I like Rush Hour a little better. But not by much. I remember when I first watched this movie I didn't know who Lucy Liu was. So it was fun to watch this one again now that I am more familiar with her. Definitely worth watching... a good way to waste a couple hours.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »

El Dorado
Legendary producer-director Howard Hawks teams with two equally legendary stars, John Wayne and Robert Mitchum, in this classic Western drama. Mitchum plays to perfection an alcoholic but gutsy sheriff who relentlessly battles the dark side of the wild West, ruthless cattle barons and crooked "bussinessmen". The Duke gives an equally adept performance as the sheriffs old friend who knows his way around a gunfight. Filled with brawling action and humor, El Dorado delivers the goods. James Caan and Ed Asner co-star.

My Thoughts:
This movie was recommended to me several times after I commented how much I enjoyed Rio Bravo. So I was thrilled when my good friend Roger offered to give me the extra copy he had of it so I could check it out. As much as I enjoyed the movie Rio Bravo... I have to say... I enjoyed El Dorado even more! I loved every minute of this movie! It had a terrific story... lots to laugh at... and loaded with lots of great Western  action. And best of all... no singing cowboy... because I just don't care for those singing cowboys. Unfortunately the only extra on this DVD is the Theatrical Trailer. It would have been nice to see a few more extras on this one... but hey... we do collect DVDs for the movies themselves. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
Well, they did just come out recently with a 2-disc special edition of El Dorado which I bought...that's how I had this extra copy to share.  That 2-disc set is only going for about $15 at Amazon so if you really want one with the extras, it's there.  The extras on that set include a few featurette (including a 7-part one on the movie) and 2 audio commentaries.  I'll have to watch the movie with the commentary someday.  Too bad John Wayne didn't live to do his own commentaries...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
The mood for movies struck early this week... think I may watch a couple today.  :thumbup:
Pete