Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467513 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:31 AM »
I saw the new Carrie in the theater.  I liked it too.  I liked the cast...Julieanne Moore pulled off the crazy mother really well.  In some ways, she seemed more twisted than in the Sissy Spacek version. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
Oh... yeah... I agree. Julianne Moore was great in it as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
     Groundhog Day: Special 15th Anniversary Edition (1993/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Harold Ramis
Writing:Danny Rubin (Story By), Danny Rubin (Screenwriter), Harold Ramis (Screenwriter)
Length:101 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Thematic Elements
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Arabic, Bahasa, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Commentary

Stars:
Bill Murray as Phil
Andie MacDowell as Rita
Chris Elliott (1960) as Larry
Stephen Tobolowsky as Ned
Brian Doyle-Murray as Buster
Marita Geraghty as Nancy

Plot:
Bill Murray is at his wry, wisecracking best in this riotous romantic comedy about a weatherman caught in a personal time warp on the worst day of his life. Teamed with a relentlessly cheerful producer (Andie MacDowell) and a smart-aleck cameraman (Chris Elliott), TV weatherman Phil Connors (Bill Murray) is sent to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, to cover the annual Groundhog Day festivities. But on his way out of town, Phil is caught in a giant blizzard, which he failed to predict, and finds himself stuck in small-town hell. Just when things couldn't get worse, they get worse; Phil wakes the next morning to find it's Groundhog Day all over again... and again... and again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one this evening. This is a film I haven't seen in many years! And obviously never on Blu-ray til today. This film is a romantic comedy... but at the same time much more. There is lots of fun.. and there is a bit of depression. I don't know if this is the first film that uses the whole reliving the day over and over again thing... but it is definitely the most well known. And a must see. I really enjoyed every minute of seeing this one again.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 12, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
A great film, I should get the Blu-ray as well.

But, heck, that is one ugly cover...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #604 on: March 12, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

But, heck, that is one ugly cover...
The British cover looks slightly better

All other releases seem to be variants of the (ugly) US-cover

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »
UK version is cheaper and region free :thumbsup:

Thanks ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
     Howl's Moving Castle (2004/Japan)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Hayao Miyazaki
Writing:Hayao Miyazaki (Screenwriter), Diana Wynne Jones (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Frightening Images and Brief Mild Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
English Cast:
Jean Simmons as Grandma Sophie
Christian Bale as Howl
Lauren Bacall as Witch of the Waste
Blythe Danner as Madame Suliman
Emily Mortimer as Young Sophie

Plot:
In Hayao Miyazaki's latest animated masterpiece, journey beyond imagination and enter a "breathtaking fantasy world" (Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times) filled with adventure, humor, and heart.

Sophie, a quiet girl working in a hat shop, finds her life thrown into turmoil when she is literally swept off her feet by a handsome but mysterious wizard named Howl. The vain and vengeful Witch of the Waste, jealous of their friendship, puts a spell on Sophie. In a life-changing adventure, Sophie climbs aboard Howl's magnificent flying castle and enters a magical world on a quest to break the spell.

Featuring the voice talents of Jean Simmons, Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Blythe Danner, and Billy Crystal, Miyazaki's artistry comes to life on DVD with inventive characters, unique storytelling, and richly detailed animation.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brittany brought this film with her to show me... so we watched it this afternoon. I am not one that is a very big fan of Anime... but this film I enjoyed quite a bit. The story was interesting and all the characters were a lot of fun to watch... I especially enjoyed the flame Calcifer. I enjoyed this one enough that I would like to eventually add it to my own collection. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
     21 Jump Street (2012/United States)
Trailer |Wikipedia |IMDb |
Director:Phil Lord, Christopher Miller
Writing:Michael Bacall (Screenwriter), Michael Bacall (Story By), Jonah Hill (Story By), Patrick Hasburgh (Original Characters By), Stephen J. Cannell (Original Characters By)
Length:110 min.
Rating:Rated R : Crude and Sexual Content, Pervasive Language, Drug Material, Teen Drinking and Some Violence
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Other

Stars:
Jonah Hill as Schmidt
Channing Tatum as Jenko
Brie Larson as Molly Tracey
Dave Franco as Eric Molson
Rob Riggle as Mr. Walters
DeRay Davis as Domingo

Plot:
Former high school foes turned rookie cop partners can't catch a break – until they're assigned to pose as students and bust a drug ring inside their old alma mater. Living like teenagers again, they slip back into their adolescent selves and risk the case – and their friendship – with hysterically disastrous results! Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and Ice Cube star in this outrageously hilarious action-comedy!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I am a big fan of the TV series 21 Jump Street... It is a show I watched every week with my family when I was a teen. And there really wasn't many shows that the family would watch together. So needles to say the series holds a special place in my heart. So going into this movie... I wasn't expecting much out of it. Matter of fact... I was expecting to hate it. Just going by past experience of other movies based on TV series.

I was surprised when I found that I enjoyed this movie. Maybe it is because I had such low expectations. But one thing that definitely helped... they didn't just remake the series with the same characters... it is more like a continuation of the series. Where they are re-opening the Jump Street program. It was cool to see Holly Robinson Peete with a cameo appearance as her 21 Jump Street character... Officer Judy Hoffs. Other old Jump Street characters that made an appearance is Tom Hansen (Johnny Depp) and Doug Penhall (Peter DeLuise)... now partners at the DEA.

Anyway... found it to be a fun movie. It has a few laughs in it. I can easily see myself watching it again. I am surprised to say that I definitely recommend this one.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
     Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Neil Jordan
Writing:Anne Rice (Screenwriter), Anne Rice (Original Material By)
Length:123 min.
Rating:Rated R : Vampire Violence and Gore and Sexuality
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Brad Pitt as Louis
Christian Slater as Malloy
Virginia McCollam as Whore on Waterfront
John McConnell as Gambler
Tom Cruise as Lestat
Mike Seelig as Pimp

Plot:
The undead are among us and livelier than ever when Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and a talented group of youngbloods star in this spellbinding screen adaptation of Anne Rice's bestseller.

Cruise stylishly plays the supremely evil and charismatic vampire Lestat. Pitt is Louis, lured by Lestat into the immortality of the damned. Stephen Rea, Antonio Banderas, Christian Slater and Kirsten Dunst co-star. Hypnotically directed by Neil Jordan from a screenplay by Rice, Interview with the Vampire offers enough thrills, shocks and fiendish fun to last a lifetime - and beyond.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Introduction by Anne Rice, Neil Jordon and Antonio Banderas

My Thoughts:
My daughter has been reading the books this film is based on. As we were on the phone last night she was telling me about how much she enjoyed the book. Talking about parts of the book and such... putting me in the mood for the movie. While out running errands today I see the blu-ray sitting on the shelf at one of the stores. I just couldn't help myself but to pick it up!

It has been years since I saw this one... so long in fact that I forgot just how much I enjoy this movie. I personally find this one more interesting then I do horrific. It gives you a view into vampirism from the vampire's point of view. A very interesting take indeed. I enjoyed every minute of it.. the 2 hours it lasted just flew by as I watched... definitely a sign of a good movie. If by any chance you never seen this one before... I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 06, 2014, 07:46:11 PM »
     G-Force (2009/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Walt Disney Pictures, Jerry Bruckheimer Films
Director:Hoyt H. Yeatman, Jr. [Hoyt H. Yeatman Jr.]
Writing:Cormac Wibberley [The Wibberleys] (Screenwriter), Marianne Wibberley [The Wibberleys] (Screenwriter), Hoyt H. Yeatman, Jr. [Hoyt H. Yeatman Jr.] (Story By), David P. I. James (Story By)
Length:88 min.
Rating:PG
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, French: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Bill Nighy as Saber
Will Arnett as Kip Killian
Zach Galifianakis as Ben
Kelli Garner as Marcie
Tyler Patrick Jones as Connor
Piper Mackenzie Harris as Penny

Plot:
Buckle up for a thrilling edge-of-your-seat action and laugh-out-loud fun in Disney's G-Force. On Disney Blu-ray, this family comedy adventure is even more spectacular with theater-quality picture and sound.

Just as the G-Force – an elite team of highly trained guinea pigs – is about to save the world, the F.B.I. shuts the secret unit down. But these next-generation action heroes – Darwin, loyal team leader; Blaster, weapons expert with attitude to spare; Juarez, drop-dead gorgeous martial arts diva; and tag-along Hurley – won't be stopped. Armed with the latest in high-tech spy equipment, and with the F.B.I. on their tails, the fur flies as they race against the clock to save the world. From the producer of the Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy and National Treasure, and filled with high-octane action, daredevil stunts, cutting-edge special effects and outrageous comedy, G-Force is fantastic fun for the whole family – especially in Blu-ray High Definition.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
I felt like watching something cute and fun... so popped this one in. I didn't remember ever seeing it before... but turns out I did. This is a cute little family film. But I do believe the kids will get more enjoyment from this then the adults. Watching this entire movies I didn't get a single chuckle from it. So it isn't something I see myself watching often... but can see watching it again eventually. Maybe for a talking animal marathon or sormething like that.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 16, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
     30 Days of Night (2007/United States)
Director:David Slade
Writing:Steve Niles (Screenwriter), Stuart Beattie (Screenwriter), Brian Nelson (Screenwriter), Steve Niles (Original Material By), Ben Templesmith (Original Material By)
Length:113 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Horror Violence and Language
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Josh Hartnett as Eben Oleson
Melissa George as Stella Oleson
Danny Huston as Marlow
Ben Foster as The Stranger
Mark Boone Junior as Beau Brower
Mark Rendall as Jake Oleson

Plot:
Josh Harnett crosses over to the dark side in this bone-chilling adaptation of the cult-hit graphic novel, brought to the screen in all its demonic glory.

In a small Alaskan town, thirty days of night is a natural phenomenon. Very few outsiders visit, until a band of bloodthirsty, deathly pale vampires mark their arrival by savagely attacking sled dogs. But soon they find there are much more satisfying thirst-quenchers about – human beings. One by one, the townspeople succumb to a living nightmare, but a small group survives – at least for now. The vampires use the dark to their advantage, and surviving this cold hell is a game of cat and mouse... and screams.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:
I wouldn't call it my favorite vampire movie... but it is one I definitely enjoy. The first time I enjoyed it... but was left with a bit of disappointment as I didn't feel it lived up to all the hype it got. with multiple viewings I found I enjoyed it even more... since I didn't have to worry about the hype. I knew what to expect. Way back when I was a teen I thought that the idea of vampires in the setting of Alaska's extended darkness (not sure what you call it) would be a perfect idea for a movie (I didn't know of the comics... if they were around back then). So when I heard this movie was coming the first thing to pop into my mind was "Finally!"

I was thrilled when I found out that Melissa George was in this movie. I became a fan of hers way back when she was in the TV Series Alias back in season 3 of the show. Most vampire movies play with the legend some... and this one is no different. There was a couple main differences with these vampires. The most noticeable would be the teeth... we don't get the normal vampire fangs here. In this case it is more like jagged teeth... as every tooth in their mouth comes to a point. To me at least... this is different...but forgivable... though it did take a little while to get used to. The other part of the legend they played around with is not being able to enter your home without being invited. In this movie they can just break right in... nothing stopping them. But no big deal there either.

The Blu-ray disc looks and sounds great. This pretty much has the same extras as the DVD plus one or two extra items added... nothing to much though. Once again a release that doesn't have the trailer for the movie that is on the disc... just some bonus trailers for other movies they want you to buy. As I have said before... I hate when they don't add the theatrical trailer!

Over-all I found this to be a right good movie. One I feel comfortable recommending. Just don't go into it with to high of expectations.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 20, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
     Hancock: Unrated Special Edition (2008/United States)
Director:Peter Berg (1964)
Writing:Vy Vincent Ngo (Writer), Vince Gilligan (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 2.38:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Bahasa, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Will Smith as John Hancock
Charlize Theron as Mary
Jason Bateman as Ray
Jae Head as Aaron
Eddie Marsan as Red
David Mattey as Man Mountain

Plot:
Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.

When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again – until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Theatrical and Unrated Versions, D-Box Motion Code

My Thoughts:
I remember the first time I saw this film I was a bit let down... not because it was a bad film... but because it just wasn't the film I expected to see going by the trailer. But on multiple viewings I found I enjoyed it much more without the expectations the trailer left e with. I will say that it went downhill a little towards the end of the movie. But for the most part I really enjoyed it. I thought both Will Smith and Charlize Theron were good in it... but I have to admit I wasn't that impressed with Jason Bateman. Worth the time put in to watch it... Recommended.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 20, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
     Robocop (2014/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:José Padilha
Writing:Joshua Zetumer (Writer), Edward Neumeier (Writer), Michael Miner (Writer)
Length:117 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Action Including Frenetic Gun Violence Throughout, Brief Strong Language, Sensuality and Some Drug Material
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy/RoboCop
Gary Oldman as Dr. Dennett Norton
Michael Keaton as Raymond Sellars
Abbie Cornish as Clara Murphy
Jackie Earle Haley as Rick Mattox
Michael K. Williams as Jack Lewis

Plot:
Crime has a new enemy in this "sleek, stylish and smart" (Silas Lesnick, ComingSoon.net) action-thriller starring Joel Kinnaman, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton!

In the year 2028, greedy conglomerate OmniCorp uses robotic technology to transform critically injured police officer Alex Murphy (Kinnaman) into the ultimate crime fighter. He's part man, part machine...he's RoboCop! Back on the streets, Murphy is hardwired for law enforcement, but the mind and memories of the human inside long to take over...and the results could be catastrophic.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I been looking forward to seeing this movie every since I first saw the trailer. I have always liked the original.... though I haven't watched it in years. I found this one to be a good update to the original. Of course there was some things I liked and some things not so much... but over-all I enjoyed this one. I thought the updated look of Robocop himself was right cool. Didn't care for the new Lewis (his partner)... he just wasn't utilized like she was in the original. Anyway I found this one to be worth the time put in to watch it. Has quite a bit of action and a decent story.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:11 AM »
     Bad Teacher: Unrated Edition (2011/United States)
Director:Jake Kasdan
Writing:Gene Stupnitsky (Writer), Lee Eisenberg (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Cameron Diaz as Elizabeth Halsey
Lucy Punch as Amy Squirrel
Jason Segel as Russell Gettis
Justin Timberlake as Scott Delacorte
Phyllis Smith as Lynn Davies
John Michael Higgins as Principal Wally Snur

Plot:
Elizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) is a foulmouthed, ruthless, and inappropriate teacher. She drinks, gets high, and can't wait to marry a meal ticket to get out of her bogus day job. When she's dump by her fiancé, she sets her sights on a rich, handsome substitute (Justin Timberlake) while shrugging off the advances of the school gym teacher (Jason Segel). The consequences of her wild and outrageous schemes give her students, co-workers, and even herself an education like no other!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Theatrical and Unrated Versions
  • movieIQ

My Thoughts:
This is my first time watching this film. It's an entertaining enough movie.. but nothing I would call great. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. I think maybe if they did more character development it would be better. But as it stands it is no more then a decent film. My recommendation of this one is if you can see get it cheap... or just see it for free then go for it. Otherwise nothing all that special here. Just an average comedy.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »
     Night at the Museum (2006/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Shawn Levy
Writing:Milan Trenc (Original Material By), Robert Ben Garant (Story By), Robert Ben Garant (Screenwriter), Thomas Lennon (1970) (Story By), Thomas Lennon (1970) (Screenwriter)
Length:109 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Mild Action, Language and Brief Rude Humor
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish, Trivia

Stars:
Ben Stiller as Larry Daley
Carla Gugino as Rebecca
Dick Van Dyke as Cecil
Mickey Rooney as Gus
Bill Cobbs as Reginald
Jake Cherry as Nick Daley

Plot:
In this hilarious comedy-adventure, kindhearted dreamer Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is hired as the night guard for the Museum of Natural History. But when he discovers that all the exhibits come to life—and wreak total havoc—after the sun sets, Larry turns to President Teddy Roosevelt (Robin Williams) to help control the chaos!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
Just finished watching this one. I found it to be a fun movie... but was somehow expecting a little more. I always found Ben Stiller to be a little hit and miss... I usually like maybe half the stuff I seen him in. He was pretty good in this one. But I had more fun watching Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney. I normally like Robin Williams a lot... but didn't care to much for him in this one. But over-all a fun film... worth the time put n to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete