Author Topic: What Movies I Been Watching  (Read 467535 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What Movies I Been Watching
« Reply #480 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
     Star Wars IV: A New Hope: Widescreen (1977/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:George Lucas
Writing:George Lucas (Writer)
Length:125 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Sci-Fi Violence and Brief Mild Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
Harrison Ford as Han Solo
Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia Organa
Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin
Alec Guinness as Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
Anthony Daniels as See Threepio (C-3PO)

Plot:
The Jedi Knights have been exterminated and the Empire rules the galaxy with an iron fist. A small group of Rebels have dared to fight back by stealing the secret plans to the Empire's mightiest weapon, the Death Star battle station. The Emperor's most trusted servant, Darth Vader, must find the plans, and locate the hidden Rebel base. Princess Leia, a captive Rebel leader, sends out a distress signal that is intercepted by a simple farm boy, Luke Skywalker. Seizing his destiny, Luke takes up the challenge to rescue the princess and help the Rebellion overthrow the Empire, along with such unforgettable allies as the wise Obi-Wan Kenobi, the cocky Han Solo, the loyal Chewbacca, and the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX
  • THX Optimizer

My Thoughts:
The mood for this one hit me today. I have not seen this movie since I was about 12 or 13 years old... we are talking over 30 years ago! And then I only seen it once or twice back then. So watching it today really was like watching it for the very first time. And I must say... I enjoyed every minute of it! This one definitely deserves it's popularity of the sci-fi classic that it is. I couldn't recommend it any stronger!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 20, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
     The Parent Trap (1961/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:David Swift
Writing:Erich Kästner (Original Material By), David Swift (Screenwriter)
Length:129 min.
Rating:G
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Hayley Mills as Sharon McKendrick/Susan Evers
Maureen O'Hara as Margaret 'Maggie' McKendrick
Brian Keith as Mitch Evers
Charles Ruggles as Charles McKendrick
Una Merkel as Verbena Evers' Housekeeper
Leo G. Carroll as Reverend Dr. Mosby

Plot:
Hayley Mills, Special Academy Award® winner for 1960's Pollyanna, lights up the screen in Disney's fondly remembered release of The Parent Trap. Mills stars as Susan and Sharon, identical twins separated at birth. Neither twin knows the other exists until a simple twist of fate finds them at the same summer camp. Then, realizing who they are, they plan a little twist of their own. They switch places with high hopes of getting their parents back together. This delightful and heartwarming comedy will have your whole family doubling up with laughter.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Interviews
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Felt like a Disney classic... and decided to pop this one in. I saw this movie the first time 3 years ago when I first got the DVD double feature set. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It has some good laughs in it... though it does look a little dated. But the movie is a good 50 years old now. I really enjoyed Haley Mills in this film... I thought she did a good job playing a pair of scheming twins determined to get their parents back together. And of course Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith was good as their parents as well. If you haven't had a chance to see this one I recommend it. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 21, 2013, 12:43:50 AM »
     The Parent Trap 2 (1986/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Ronald F. Maxwell
Writing:Stuart Krieger (Writer), Erich Kästner [Eric Kästner] (Original Material By)
Length:81 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Hayley Mills as Sharon Ferris/Susan
Tom Skerritt as Bill Grand
Carrie Kei Heim as Nikki Ferris
Bridgette Andersen as Mary Grand
Alex Harvey as Brian
Gloria Cromwell as Florence

Plot:
First time on DVD! In the full-length sequel The Parent Trap II, Hayley Mills returns to reprise her roles as identical twins Sharon and Susan. Now all grown up, Sharon is a single mom whose 11-year-old daughter Nikki is just as mischievous as she was! During summer school Nikki and her new friend Mary turn into scheming matchmakers when they try to get Sharon and Mary's widowed father together. Not quite able to make it happen, they turn to the one person who can really help -- Sharon's twin Susan!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Interviews
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Going by the plot for this one I will admit I was a bit concerned. But I have to say... I enjoyed every minute of it! I really enjoyed the story... and it had several laugh out loud moments for me. I was glad to see this one being Sharon and Susan grown up and getting involved with switching instead of them trying to do the same (or similar) thing with their kids this time. I also liked that they were able to get the same actress to play Sharon and Susan. I also liked that Tom Skerritt is in this movie. I have slowly become a fan of his over the last few years. It is a pleasant surprise that I liked this one almost... if not as much as the first part.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
     Mean Girls: Special Collector's Edition (2004/United States, Canada)
Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Mark Waters (1964)
Writing:Rosalind Wiseman (Original Material By), Tina Fey (Screenwriter)
Length:97 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sexual Content, Language and Some Teen Partying
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Lindsay Lohan as Cady Heron
Rachel McAdams as Regina George
Tina Fey as Ms. Norbury
Tim Meadows as Mr. Duvall
Amy Poehler as Mrs. George
Ana Gasteyer as Cady's Mom

Plot:
Raised in the African bush country by her zoologist parents, Cady (Lindsay Lohan) thinks she knows all about the "survival of the fittest." But the law of the jungle takes on a whole new meaning when the home-schooled 15-year-old enters public high school for the first time.

Trying to find her place among jocks, mathletes and other subcultures, Cady crosses paths with the meanest species of all – the Queen Bee, aka the cool and calculating Regina (Rachel McAdams), leader of the school's most fashionable clique, The Plastics. When Cady falls for Regina's ex-boyfriend, though, the Queen Bee is stung – and she schemes to ruin Cady's social future. Cady's own claws soon come out as she leaps into a hilarious "Girl World" war that has the whole school running for cover.

Co-starring and written by Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey, Mean Girls is "Viciously Funny!"
–Neil Turitz, STAR

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Interstitials

My Thoughts:
OK... What do I think about this one? Coming freshly out of it... I found it entertaining for sure. But for some reason I was expecting more laugh out loud moments. I found it to be a fun... silly story... but not something to really laugh at. But I did have a good time watching it. So it is worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 21, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
     50 First Dates: Widescreen Special Edition (2004/United States)
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
Director:Peter Segal
Writing:George Wing (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Crude Sexual Humor and Drug References
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Henry Roth
Drew Barrymore (1975) as Lucy Whitmore
Rob Schneider as Ula
Sean Astin as Doug Whitmore
Lusia Strus as Alexa
Dan Aykroyd as Dr. Keats

Plot:
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore star together for the first time since The Wedding Singer in one of the funniest romantic comedies in years.

Henry Roth (Sandler) lives an enviable life in a Hawaiian paradise, spending every night with a beautiful tourist in search of an island fling. It's a sweet life with no strings attached...until he meets Lucy (Barrymore). He and Lucy hit it off from the get-go, but the next day she acts like she doesn't know him. Has his karma come around to kick him in the butt or what? Actually, Lucy has short-term memory loss, so every night all memory of her day is erased. But a man in love will go to any lengths to win over the girl of his dreams, and if that means having to find imaginative ways of doing it over again every day, then Henry's up for the challenge.

Rob Schneider (Big Daddy) and Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) co-star in 50 FIRST DATES, which will win you over every time you watch it!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I know of a lot of people that dislike Adam Sandler... but I personally have always enjoyed his movies. I also have enjoyed Drew Barrymore in most the stuff I have seen her in. So this movie is a no-brainer for me. I did enjoy this movie... Very much so... even more then I remembered! It is definitely a more mature comedy then a lot of other Adam Sandler movies. Drew Barrymore was great as the cute and sweet girl next door with no short term memory. I also loved how they ended this movie. They opted to make it more realistic instead of trying to pull off some sort of miracle cure for Lucy. Was there anything I didn't like about this movie? Sure... there is the walrus vomit joke which would have fit in many Sandler movies... but just didn't belong in this one... then there was Lucy singing the Beach Boy Song with a terrible (hopefully fake) singing voice. And lastly I didn't care much for Lucy's brother. But all that is really minor... and didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie much... if at all. I would say even if you do not usually enjoy Adam Sandler movies... give this one a chance... you may be surprised.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 21, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
Hmmm, I'm one of those who usually can't stand Adam Sandler. Not a big fan of Rob Schneider either. Drew Barrymore - ok sometimes. Looking at Peter Segal's filmography, there's not much encouragement there. The third Naked Gun movie was the weakest of the three, but acceptable. Other than that - nothing. I think I'll pass...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 21, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
     Miss Congeniality: Deluxe Edition (2000/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video
Director:Donald Petrie
Writing:Marc Lawrence (Writer), Katie Ford (Writer), Caryn Lucas (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sexual References and a Scene of Violence
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Gracie Hart
Michael Caine as Victor Melling
Benjamin Bratt as Eric Matthews
Candice Bergen as Kathy Morningside
William Shatner as Stan Fields
Ernie Hudson as McDonald

Plot:
Legs waxed. Lips glossed. Gun ready. Special Agent Gracie Hart is going undercover as a hopeful eager to be the next Miss United States. But Gracie doesn't have a beauty-pageant bone in her body.

Sandra Bullock stars as an operative posing as a pageant contestant in order to ferret out a terrorist targeting the event. Michael Caine deliciously plays the frustrated consultant hired to turn Dirty Harriet into a poised beauty. And Benjamin Bratt, Candice Bergen, William Shatner and Ernie Hudson also score points for hilarity in this box-office smash. From big laughs to sly quips, Miss Congeniality hits.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have some friends that tease me every time I watch this movie... because I have seen it so many times. So first let me say to them. I checked DVD Profiler... I last watched this film 2 years ago... So I don't want to hear it! :P

I have seen this movie get not so great reviews on the net... but I have to say... it is one of my favorite Sandra Bullock movies. I have watched it countless times. I find this movie to just be pure fun. There is several parts of this movie that I literally laughed out loud on. Sandra Bullock really has a great style in this movie. Shows that she can really hold her own when it comes to comedy.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 21, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »
Hmmm, I'm one of those who usually can't stand Adam Sandler. Not a big fan of Rob Schneider either. Drew Barrymore - ok sometimes. Looking at Peter Segal's filmography, there's not much encouragement there. The third Naked Gun movie was the weakest of the three, but acceptable. Other than that - nothing. I think I'll pass...
Although I agree about a lot of Sandler's bits .. and Schneider <groan> .. but "50 First Dates" is another of Sandler's films that I really like and there are only a couple.  The chemistry between Sandler and Barrymore is really quite good.  This is one of those 'guilty pleasure' films that I get stuck watching when it is on <G>
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
"50 First Dates" is another of Sandler's films that I really like and there are only a couple.  The chemistry between Sandler and Barrymore is really quite good.  This is one of those 'guilty pleasure' films that I get stuck watching when it is on <G>
Really? Well, I might reconsider. But I still feel safer with old Hammer horrors...  :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 21, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
     Night of the Comet (1984/United States)
Director:Thom Eberhardt
Writing:Thom Eberhardt (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Robert Beltran as Hector
Catherine Mary Stewart as Regina
Kelli Maroney as Samantha
Sharon Farrell as Doris
Mary Woronov as Audrey
Geoffrey Lewis as Carter

Plot:
It's the first comet to buzz the planet in 65 million years, and everyone seems to be celebrating its imminent arrival! Everyone, that is, except for Regina Belmont (Catherine Mary Stewart), and her younger sister Samantha (Kelli Maroney), two valley gals who care more about meteoric fashion trends than celestial phenomena. But upon daybreak, when the girls discover that they're the only residents of Los Angeles whom the comet hasn't either disintegrated or turned into a zombie, they...well, they go shopping! But when their day of malling threatens to become a day of the mauling, these two val gals flee with both killer zombies and blood-seeking scientists in hot pursuit!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I was looking through my DVDs and this one popped out at me. I haven't watched this one in a good 5 years. This is a movie that I just find plain fun... nothing more then that. Just "leave your brain at the door" fun. It has a nice mixture of comedy that works well in my opinion. It is just a shame that they did not add any type of extras for this one. A definite treat for anyone that likes '80s horror. If you never seen this one... you should give it a chance.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #490 on: July 21, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
"50 First Dates" is another of Sandler's films that I really like and there are only a couple.  The chemistry between Sandler and Barrymore is really quite good.  This is one of those 'guilty pleasure' films that I get stuck watching when it is on <G>
Really? Well, I might reconsider. But I still feel safer with old Hammer horrors...  :)

50 First Dates is a great movie.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 22, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »
     Night of the Comet (1984/United States)
My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Another one of my guilty pleasure films <g> ... seems like they are all being hit.  The story is slack, production is cheap and the acting is .. well there really isn't any.  But Kelli Maroney and Catherine Mary Stewart were a hoot.  And I loved the car that Hector drove.
Thank you
David

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #492 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:58 AM »
Hmmm, I'm one of those who usually can't stand Adam Sandler.

Not liking movies with Adam Sandler is usually a safe bet.

Except for three (sort by alpha)
- 50 First Dates
- Funny People
- Reign Over Me

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 22, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
     Never Been Kissed (1999/United States)
Director:Raja Gosnell
Writing:Abby Kohn (Writer), Marc Silverstein (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sex-Related Material and Some Drug Content
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Josie Geller
David Arquette as Rob Geller
Michael Vartan as Sam Coulson
Sun-TimesMolly Shannon as Anita
John C. Reilly as Gus

Plot:
Eight years ago she was a total geek; now she’s back to get it right! "Drew Barrymore is brilliant!" (JONATHAN FORMAN, New York Post) in this hilarious, heartwarming comedy about that wacky "wonderland" of homework, hot lunches and raging hormones known as high school.

Newspaper reporter Josie Geller (BARRYMORE) is going undercover as a student to learn about today’s teens. At first she’s thrilled...until she remembers her nickname: "Josie Grossie." Can a former clueless nerd navigate the hallways of high school without tripping over her own feet?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I liked this one.... but I do think it could have been better. Especially towards the beginning of the movie. But as it went on it did get better. It is a decent story with a few laughs. I would have liked to seen a little more comedy in it though. I liked both Drew Barrymore and David Arquette in it. I wouldn't say it is a favorite... but I can see myself watching it again at some point. It's worth the time needed to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 23, 2013, 12:36:26 AM »
     The Last Man on Earth (1964/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Sidney Salkow
Writing:Richard Matheson [Logan Swanson] (Screenwriter), William F. Leicester (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
Length:87 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Vincent Price as Dr. Robert Morgan
Franca Bettoia as Ruth Collins
Emma Danielli as Virginia Morgan
Giacomo Rossi-Stuart as Ben Cortman
Umberto Rau as Dr. Mercer
Christi Courtland as Kathy Morgan
Antonio Corevi as Governor
Hector Ribotta as TV Reporter

Plot:
Vincent Price delivers a tour-de-force performance while his walking-dead co-stars literally chew up the scenery behind him in this terrifying chiller from the novel 'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson. Price plays the sole survivor of a lethal virus that transforms all others into vampire-like zombies. He fights them nightly, until, desperately lonely and at the end of his rope, he makes a startling discovery!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for The Last Man on Earth

Genre: Horror
Rating: NR
Have I seen it before: No
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 7/21/2013

Review: 4.0/5

This is a great film.  Yes it suffers from too low a budget and not very good director/production .. other than that it is a great interpretation of the novel I am Legend written by Richard Matheson.  With the screenplay originally written by Matheson but later he disliked the end product he actually used a pseudonym so he could retain payment.

It is different from the novel in several ways but to me is a grittier, closer representation.  I love Vincent Price in most of his endeavors and he certainly does not leave wanting in this one.

This is a strong recommendation
Thank you
David